The new racial system will go live soon

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
TaranGoatWalker
Great Adventurer

Re: The new racial system will go live soon

Post by TaranGoatWalker » 17 Mar 2023 10:27

qwertheangmarim wrote:
17 Mar 2023 04:13
Budwise wrote:
16 Mar 2023 20:26
ooops nevermind
... yea lol
TaranGoatWalker wrote:
17 Mar 2023 00:44
Did you use the thaumaturgist?
Statavg changes when you do so.
T
It can make you smaller?
Xp to stats is decreasing gains...
And the average goes down therefore if you focus excessively on certain stats...
Fastest mortal progs would be as a balanced :P
Stabby stabby stab stab.

qwertheangmarim
Adventurer

Post by qwertheangmarim » 17 Mar 2023 20:15

TaranGoatWalker wrote:
17 Mar 2023 10:27
And the average goes down therefore if you focus excessively on certain stats...
...I thought it was the same, just moved the numbers around, damn...

Also... idk if that's how average works?
average is add em all up and divide by how many, so how the exp is distributed wouldn't matter, no?
WOOH LETS GO!!!!! :P

TaranGoatWalker
Great Adventurer

Post by TaranGoatWalker » 17 Mar 2023 22:46

qwertheangmarim wrote:
17 Mar 2023 20:15
TaranGoatWalker wrote:
17 Mar 2023 10:27
...I thought it was the same, just moved the numbers around, damn...

Also... idk if that's how average works?
average is add em all up and divide by how many, so how the exp is distributed wouldn't matter, no?
Yes, except if your str is 100, and your int 1, 1 exp in int gets more stat points than 1 exp point in str. Decreasing gains.
Stabby stabby stab stab.

Budwise
Veteran

Post by Budwise » 21 Mar 2023 16:39

Hmm. I guess you heathen lot in the higher dimensions did something right this time. ;)

Doesn't seem to be players jumping off tall cliffs or threathening to leave (or stay).
Net result of changes seems to have added some points to everyone (?)
so we can't even call it a nerf. And the traits are nice. At least in my case they boosted
some skills that I have been lacking due to being in Blademaster-layman.

So a well-planned and well-executed major change and probably quite a big project.
Well done. Now get back to coding that "I Win"-button I ordered many christmases ago.

(Oh, and I don't do antisocial media much any more, so that might be why
I missed all the potential screaming and drama? :) Not that that is a problem)

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 22 Mar 2023 01:06

Thanks Budwise, glad you like it. Overall it’s been very quiet in my mailbox, which is usually a good sign :)

Dan
Adventurer

Post by Dan » 22 Mar 2023 09:20

Overall goblin melee plus elven and gnome casters lost on this change.
Dwarves and human and hobbits in general and elven melee improved.

The vocal complaints was already send prior to the implementation, thus why bother reiterate the complaints, hence the feel of 'success' for you Cherek.

I still feel the races lost alot of appeal and uniqueness despite the huge effort put in by the coder who did a great job on this huge project that equally subtracted from the genesis feel of uniqueness as the 'white hit' rebalance did (specials feels more like emotes versus the white hits hence less specializations required in guild choices)

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 22 Mar 2023 13:08

Dan wrote:
22 Mar 2023 09:20
The vocal complaints was already send prior to the implementation, thus why bother reiterate the complaints, hence the feel of 'success' for you Cherek.
But you decided to bother reiterating the complaints after all, just to make sure we know it’s not a success? :)

I never expected everyone to like it, obviously. But we brought everyone in at an early stage to share their opinions and feedback, and we adjusted course base on some good feedback, and I am personally very happy with how it ended up and the process. Many didn’t like the old system, some don’t like the new, but I hope more like the new, though, and that’s the feeling I am also getting based on both pre and post change feedback.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 22 Mar 2023 20:38

Idk who represents "we" but I like it! Now plan the next step before people get their own petitions on your desk :D

TaranGoatWalker
Great Adventurer

Post by TaranGoatWalker » 22 Mar 2023 22:27

Specials feel like emotes...
Having swapped from rangers to rda, it doesn't feel that way, to me...
Stabby stabby stab stab.

zizuph
Veteran

Post by zizuph » 23 Mar 2023 03:10

One of the problems about the race modifiers as they were, is that it did provide a fairly significant boost to certain races. The actual value was about half a layman guild in combat aid, not including the benefits to guild specials.

I recognize that those that could gain the benefit did not like it’s removal. But at the end of the day, all it did was change how much oomph you had in certain combat scenarios. I I find it hard to qualify this as “unique and special”. Your hit does more DPS - this often just had the impact of affecting progress level rates.

I think the new abilities touch upon a lot of different aspects beyond getting a 5 minute progress step. And the discussion of which is best has actually varied from person to person, even in the same race. Which race was best before for melee? Goblin. No thought required. The main decision points were “does my occ guild allow it” and “is there a good subrace to avoid any negative consequences to being a goblin”.

I am happy with the result and glad to hear others are enjoying it as well. We tried to avoid nerfing, and the discussion on best choice has been a lot of fun to watch unfold.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/