Crowd control

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Brentan
Beginner

Re: Crowd control

Post by Brentan » 02 Jun 2023 18:34

Hi,

First time weighing in on the topic but I think it is important to keep a few things in mind.

1 - PvP is Gen is a universal constant. It has never been turned off just made MUCH more difficult to do effectively.
2 - Universal PvP is not something that someone can opt into or out of. The only way to protect yourself from being playerkilled is to act/roleplay in a fashion that doesn't create an environment that other players want you dead.
3 - There are safeguards against being playerkilled already in place like safe-rooms (and maybe peace spells if they still exist).
4 - The ability to kill another player is distinct from the ability to keep another player from being killed. Making PvP skills universal (as opposed to guild specific) really deadens a powerful aspect of Genesis.
5 - There is a vast region of roleplaying that is hidden behind the ability to effectively PvP. To deny effective PvP is to deny players the opportunity to roleplay many archetypical characters and personalities.
6 - Harrassment rules already exist and have been in place for many years. Nothing changes in that respect simply because CC abilities are turned on or made more powerful.

With these thoughts in mind I think that returning CC to a useful aspect of the game for both PvE and PvP is a win for all. If you aren't interested in risky PvP as an option then you are free to limit your exposure to it through roleplay and guild selection. It is somewhat absurd to think that one can join the knights and not be called upon to combat a member of the RDA or BDA. It is similarly absurd to think that one can be a Morgul Mage and not be called upon to combat a member of the Rangers. There are plenty of options for people to join guilds that, from a roleplay perspective, do not have any in-game or roleplaying combat enemy.
If you want to be a Ranger or an Angmarim and not run the risk of being effectively player-killed then roleplay in a way that protects you from the majority of that exposure. Don't protect guild NPCs or don't talk shit about opposing guilds.
All-in-all effective and risky playerfighting and playerkilling is an important aspect of the game both mechanically and from a roleplaying perspective. It isn't the case that roleplaying is 'better' or 'worse' just because it happens through emotes in a pub rather than through guild specials in the battlefield.

Sincerely,
Brentan's Player

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 02 Jun 2023 20:38

"Don't be a d**k" is a very helpful tactic too, I'm told..
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 02 Jun 2023 21:50

just to clarify (due to the negative implications of my posts, ) I do also feel PVP is a distinct part of gen, always has been, and I am definitely not against getting crowd control back. or balencing/improving pvp.

Though I am not the type of person who feels pvp has no point if the loser doesn't lose anything, I am always much more likly to participate in pvp if there is clear pvp areas/rules where i know everyone is ok with pvp win or lose. and safe ways to practice skills.

this does NOT mean i'm against universal pvp, I will just most likely not initiate it, outside certain areas or without reason and a sense of fair play.

if anything i feel worse about my opponent losing so much exp if I win, I i die plenty on my own, due to stupidity. and i level slowly death or not. its not really a big thing for me. i do not horde a lot of valuable things, i rack/sell most my excess,

im definitely a advocate of lowering death penalty. (pvp or not) and or finding other ways to reward/penalize pvp. I am aware all pvp improvements will probably reward me as a ranger more than hurt me. as rangers and rogues are typically pvp kings in most games.

TaranGoatWalker
Great Adventurer

Post by TaranGoatWalker » 02 Jun 2023 23:34

Ckrik wrote:
02 Jun 2023 16:36
Snowrose wrote:
02 Jun 2023 10:53
problems with pvp
•risk vs reward is not worth it.
• its often higher pcs picking on lower pcs
•its hard to gain exp back
We will address these 3 issues well before we turn crowd control back on. We want people to be more adventurous in both PvE and PvP situations so adjusting the game economics is a prerequisite to bring back crowd control. The general sense we have is that the downside to any risky situation has gotten too steep and now gets in the way of exploration and experimentation.

Crowd control is a very deep and touchy subject so airing out concerns and oversights early is necessary, so keep the objective feedback flowing. We are still very far away from bringing any of it back.
Awesome! Can't wait! :)
Stabby stabby stab stab.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/