The problem with "half"

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
nils
Titan

Re: The problem with "half"

Post by nils » 07 Jun 2023 10:44

zizuph wrote:
28 May 2023 00:54
There are too many reasons not to undo this latest change, even with reduced experience tables. I think we may do an update so you can see more progress steps going forwards, so the enjoyment of progress is more visible again.
So your solution is to change another system (how experience gained is displayed, I reckon, thereby ruining a decade of record keeping for many of us), and are you going to enlighten us with these reasons?
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 07 Jun 2023 10:59

nils wrote:
07 Jun 2023 10:44
zizuph wrote:
There are too many reasons not to undo this latest change, even with reduced experience tables. I think we may do an update so you can see more progress steps going forwards, so the enjoyment of progress is more visible again.
So your solution is to change another system (how experience gained is displayed, I reckon, thereby ruining a decade of record keeping for many of us), and are you going to enlighten us with these reasons?
Come now, you know noone cares about players that's done any work 😁

zizuph
Veteran

Post by zizuph » 07 Jun 2023 23:50

Draugor wrote:
07 Jun 2023 10:59
nils wrote:
07 Jun 2023 10:44
zizuph wrote:
Come now, you know noone cares about players that's done any work 😁
It is a shame that you two regularly post with such a negative tone so constantly. It just turns everyone else off of the subject, and keeps us from wanting to post and provide you information.

We are looking at adding half steps. This would give you twice as much granularity as before without messing up your 10 years of progress counts.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 08 Jun 2023 01:15

Nils: It saddens me that you often tend to assume the worst. This time you didn't even have any details of the idea but you immediately assumed it was a stupid idea. Actually, YOU came up with a stupid idea and assumed we had come up with the same stupid idea you came up with.

Obviously, the first thing we wrote down when discussing progress levels was that we should absolutely NOT mess with the current steps because we, despite what Draugor thinks, don't want to ruin decades of record keeping for anyone. That was a nobrainer. Hence, the idea of half-steps between the current levels. It doesn't mess with anyone's record-keeping or the "value" of each step, it simply makes it easier to track progress. We figured it would be a nice thing overall, and especially for higher level players who gain progress slower and slower. Based on your and Draugor's reactions, though, I guess we should forget about it?

Draugor: *facepalm*

Quantum
Adept

Post by Quantum » 15 Jun 2023 03:09

Not sure what Nils is going for but personally I am not going for more granularity. Going from 18 progess steps to 36 will add nothing for me. So if you're openly asking if you should incorporate that? No, please don't. Don't waste time on that.

What we really want is for white hits to start hitting harder again. Up it by 30-40% to make the game more more interesting and more hostile to people who are just afk in teams. Which will then transisition into 30-40% extra xp. Meaning we not only see progress, we actually get some.

Spending an hour on a progress level is fairly depressing. Now you offer that I can see a completely new progress name after 30 minutes, and then the original one in another 30 minutes. No thanks, not interested.

Not saying that to demotivate wizards and telling you not to make any improvements, just this particular one is a waste of time.

And then I suddenly realize all the mages will be upset...hmm...increase all damage by 30-40%? Or just 20%? 25? 45 minute progress levels are always better than 60 minute ones.

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 16 Jun 2023 23:11

As I understand it part of the reason for the change was to slow down growth, it was quite insane after the white hit change and I doubt that was the intent. So returning to old xp/hour rates is highly unlikely. Regarding halfsteps, it will not change much for me since I am used to the old ones.

@Quantum. DOs must be in a very good state, one xp level/hour? That is very impressive...not sure what you complain about here..

Quantum
Adept

Post by Quantum » 21 Jun 2023 22:48

Chanele wrote:
16 Jun 2023 23:11
@Quantum. DOs must be in a very good state, one xp level/hour? That is very impressive...not sure what you complain about here..
The 60 or 45 minutes was meant as an example. Monks can not achieve that. We're not vampires! :D

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 25 Jun 2023 22:32

For one i Absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE ❤️ the idea of doubling progress levels. or add more of any levels, I would also love to see explorer levels doubled to and explorer level to show up on meditate. any mini pings are welcome!

part of why its so difficult for me to motivate myself to grind/level is cause its sooo long between levels
(for me, i know for some people its so easy)

Adding more levels, accolades, achievements, collectibles, will definitely make the game more enjoyable, modern games do it all the time.

It will likely do more for new players than myths, or nostalgia players who probably won't be happy with any changes,

you just got to look at things like this as a new feature unrelated to any other feature, solely to make the game more enjoyable.

It won't solve any other problems like game balence, dps, guild str, etc. but that shouldn't matter, getting a feature that will help the leveling experience for newbies, is not preventing some other feature from happening, other things not happening is likely more related to the negativity surrounding them.

I am a bit of a nostalgia player but I am not one that wants to revert things to an older verson. I like most the changes, and as been pointed out some people always have negative posts, and they probably will always have negative posts. they likly enjoy criticizing things,

there are a few changes i don't love, ie i wish healing was not cut quite so much, but that is more cause i always kind of identified as a healer, and it feels healing has been so nerfed myths don't even bother with it.

but i feel damage/healing issues could better be be fixed by looking into how things such as heals scale as people go up, and making it more of a smooth curve maybe give the healstat a greater bonus or work with a % so that myths don't need to heal 11 times to see the same effect on health that i do in one cast, however I would not want roll backs. most other changes over all have been very positive for me.

I like the idea of giving a bit more caid to people so there is a bit more wiggle room for specials.

for people who want to make joining guilds harder? well at least for player run guilds, They don't have to wait for any code at all, simply convince the guild leaders/mentors to make YOUR screening harder. add more tasks, increase level requirements. i'm sure they will be happy to. ;)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/