How do you 'view' Genesis?

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Brentan
Beginner

Re: How do you 'view' Genesis?

Post by Brentan » 10 Jun 2023 06:11

I see Genesis as a giant puzzle box. Each room and each encounter has a puzzle to be solved. So is the troll in the room green, grey, or massive doesn't really come into play for me at all. I think what do I need to do and what tools do I have to overcome the troll in question. This can lead to some pretty interesting situations.
A long time ago on a character far far away I remember when Jadestone Doll was first introduced. She would poison you with her dagger when you killed her. That poison was decidedly lethal back in the day. So why not just mercy-kill her and take her loot so she doesn't die and poison you automatically.
That is the lens I use when I play Genesis. What is the puzzle and how do I beat it.
BB

Goirbagh
Apprentice

Post by Goirbagh » 10 Jun 2023 07:42

nils wrote:
28 Feb 2020 20:11
How does your mind work? Asking for a (girl)friend.

Interestingly, you and I are completely different here. I'm into engineering, finances and law, so I'm really a data cruncher at heart. Despite that, almost all my memories and "views" of Genesis are visual. I have a visual memory of wherever I've been in terms of atmosphere, dampness, the shining sun, the desert heat, the filth, the lighting etc.

I can play out a movie in my head of how I get around and experience the world.

EDIT: Come to think of it, this is why I love Calathin and the mansion. I can see the entrance, the butler, the christmas tree almost as vividly as I can with my eyes. And the snowy town square, the atmosphere of Calathin just below the snowy forest, how cold it feels, the lighting, the oak and tar smell in the mansion, the creaking floor and so on.

Eloila
Apprentice

Post by Eloila » 10 Jun 2023 10:22

I'm not sure how I see the Genesis world. What I am sure of is that if I have logged off and, for example, I want to draw the sword I was wielding earlier in the game, I would have to log in again to check.

Oftentimes I made a drawing of a particular place in the donut and check back again the next day to find that I have missed very obvious details like the colour of the water, or furniture placement. Same goes with drawing people... once, for some reason I thought Riva had black hair.

Sometimes I feel like I was there where my character was, and sometimes I just see text. And sometimes I thought the sword of Mergula was magenta, because as a word, Mergula looks similar to magenta...

Interesting question!
backlog is always there... wherever you go... whatever you are doing...

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 11 Jun 2023 12:37

Have you ever had a dream where your reading you know your reading, but there are no actual words stuff is happening you are there and fighting or jumping or whatever....

i do see the world even if im hardly seeing any words genesis looks exactly the same to me as ff14 or wow or lotro. my brain even turns the little ansi maps into realistic scenery, i understand east and west better than left and right in rl due to muds.

i will say the less familiar i am with a place the darker and fogier it is to my brain. and the more familiar a place is the better colored and lit. to the point when i played Lord of the rings online i was mentally comparing its graphics to genesis.

i rped a lotr rp with somone and i was totally imagining the shire from genesis not the movies abd not lotro cause gen is more real to me.

i do this with rp as well i have various versions in minecraft and sims where i try to make my rp castles.

i do have very bad eyesight and don't really remember visuals well so text descriptions can be more real than rl.

Budwise
Veteran

Post by Budwise » 11 Jun 2023 19:34

Hmm. Guess a bit like when I'm reading a book, cept I tend(ed) to imagine it more 3D when walking around. Then someone made maps in the client so tend to rely on that more and guess I'm back to 2D. I don't use triggers in combat, so I pay attention as much as the hitspam allows. Makes me able to react to stuff my triggered teammates don't always notice, but means a couple of hours grinding is the most I do usually. After that I get kinda sleepy. :)

Or maybe the game is like an oldschool text adventure, cept the parser is a lot better and the "npc's" (thats you lot) a bit more interesting. ;)

I guess I don't visualize stuff out into fine details or colours, but some wizards have done that if you only look for it. Partial to Avenir which has lots of amazing code. Or our own Uhclems work which was both fun and detailed.

Euphoria
Beginner

Post by Euphoria » 13 Jun 2023 02:11

https://youtu.be/PX-DCotwmM8

This is a nice example of how kalad might look.

I think sometimes the words sound better than if I really picture it, for example the bloody steel Axe...
but sometimes I really enjoy the images that pop into my head when I take a second to really think about places like sybarus.

Riva
Apprentice

Post by Riva » 13 Jun 2023 04:10

When playing the game the closest thing to a visual I have of the world is the magic map, so for me most of the game is a little red x moving around the maps... I don't usually try and picture what places look like. Sometimes I try and picture the interesting parts of combat, like guild specials and stuff. I do try and picture characters though.

I have dreams as Riva sometimes, I think that is the closest I ever get to actually "seeing" Genesis.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/