Stuck in forest

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Kitriana
Champion

Re: Stuck in forest

Post by Kitriana » 02 Sep 2010 19:50

Gorboth --

Could you elaborate a little on exactly what this quest globization project is..? how it will work?

It sounds interesting and I'm curious :)
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 02 Sep 2010 19:59

It has been discussed for a while, and perhaps even on the forums (probably Eden, not here.)

The idea is that we will create a centralized method for controlling quests in general. One aspect of this has already become a reality with the quest orbs. The further goals include:

- A global rubric for what aspects of a quest should equal what sort of reward. (standardized difficulty to reward payoff)

- A method of distributing quest experience dynamically based on what you have solved. This would mean that we could change the reward and it would automatically update the exp in any player who had done that quest.

- Other behind-the-scenes things that wouldn't change the player experience, but would facilitate better design.

Hope that made sense! :-)
G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Earth
Great Adventurer

Post by Earth » 02 Sep 2010 20:37

Makfly wrote:That quest is hell.

What you need is pay attention to three different things in each location, then take a big piece of paper and start writing down a three letter combination code for the location you are in, then draw a box with a line going, say, east. Then go east, and look at the combination there. Then do the same as above and continue till you've exhausted every possible non-explored exit, and in the end, you will find what you're looking for in there.

I'm sure what I just wrote made little sense, but it's hard to explain in few words. Try it out and go crazy trying like most everyone else had. :)
Since this post wasn't edited by Gorboth, I'm presuming strategy hints are ok, so I'll share some hints about how I did it.

Instead of drawing a map for this one, I created a simple chart. Each new room I encountered got assigned a sequential number, and on that chart I wrote down some specific details regarding the room. Also, for each exits in each of the rooms, I kept track of the room number it lead to.

Eventually, I was able to figure out a pattern, and find the room with the exit. I thought this quest was one of the most really challenging quests in the game, and one of the most enjoyable, personally. As others have commented, I was a little disappointed with the amount of quest exp that I got from it, but the quest was the most fun 35 minutes I've spent on the game in the long time.

Quick note though for the imms: it was only after someone else posted some comments about this quest on this or another forum that I figured out the concept of the quest, then figured out a methodology to find the end. It would be nice for the questmaster or someone to give you a little hint regarding it (besides this forum that is).

Imms, feel free to edit the information out above, if you feel it is too revealing...

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 02 Sep 2010 20:57

Earth wrote:...but the quest was the most fun 35 minutes I've spent on the game in the long time.
35 minutes?

Now you're just bragging! ;)
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 02 Sep 2010 21:42

hi,

I've read this topic and I finally decided to make this quest - this was my first try - took me about 1.45 h (would be less, but I've changed the naming code during doing this), and I am faaaaar from being any kind of logical genius or WHATSOEVA....so this quest is surely doable ;)

cheers

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 02 Sep 2010 23:45

The nice thing about this quest is that hints are not spoilers. You still have to do the work. So ... strategy on this quest is not any kind of a reveal.

I myself remember doing this quest back in 1994. No one told me how to do it, so I had to make the same map everyone else is describing. I ended up doing a big sheet with letters for each room and then a letter for which room each exit lead to. It probably took me a couple hours.

I, too, very much enjoyed this quest. It gave a real feeling of accomplishment! For those that hate quests, it feels like horrible tooth-pulling annoyance, boredom, and pain. For those people, I heartily encourage you to enact your right to abstain. ;)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 03 Sep 2010 00:35

I will probably go back and try again when I feel like I have a very heavy dose of patience instilled within me that day. :geek:
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 03 Sep 2010 03:05

I waited a long time before doing this one since everyone said it was so annoying and hard. Well, it was annoying, it was hard, it took hours, but as Gorboth said, even as the experience reward wasnt much, the reward of finally making it totally on your own was good enough. I agree it should be rewarded much higher though since no quest-doc can help you here.

My map looked totally crazy with round circles for each room and arrows for their exits, then countless of lines all over going from room to room. And then some color coding with markers on top of that. :)

Earth, 35min? Really? Without knowing anything to begin with?

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 03 Sep 2010 06:31

I really loved it because it was so simple yet unique. It is just move around and hope for the best. I started mapping it, but soon after I realized it was going to be a pain (I remember someone posting an image of how his map looked at the end), I used a wiki editor. Took me a few hours just because I had to link the different rooms and paste the descriptions, but it was a really good quest (except for the minimal experience you get, I would have gotten more experience forging for that few hours, even if it gives 1 experience point per item forged!).

Davvol
Veteran

Post by Davvol » 03 Sep 2010 06:41

Makfly wrote:That quest is hell.

What you need is pay attention to three different things in each location, then take a big piece of paper and start writing down a three letter combination code for the location you are in, then draw a box with a line going, say, east. Then go east, and look at the combination there. Then do the same as above and continue till you've exhausted every possible non-explored exit, and in the end, you will find what you're looking for in there.

I'm sure what I just wrote made little sense, but it's hard to explain in few words. Try it out and go crazy trying like most everyone else had. :)
I know what there 3 different types of trees, flowers and bushes. I spent 4 sheets of A4 papers drawing exits. I even found the path from 1 exit to second. But i still didn't find all 27 rooms (3*3*3=27). 1 wrond step - and you are in dead loop of OAD-PAD rooms with only possibility to start from south exit again. In old Re Albi, when i did the quest it was mach more simple than now.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/