layman choices - good vs evil (partly rant)

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rhynox
Titan

Re: layman choices - good vs evil (partly rant)

Post by Rhynox » 08 Sep 2010 17:44

Shieldbearers can't have a defensive skill (like Militia and Templars that got an offensive and defensive skill they can switch) because they already got stun. When balancing the guild we were offered a defensive skill in exchange of slam, but in the end we kept the slam because neidar damage output is pretty low.

Regarding necros, personally I think the frighten spell is completely unbalanced, since it can split teams really easily and never fails. I can stand all the others (even the rune shield, although it makes people like Goul indestructible in pfights), but frighten is completely unfair. There should be at least a discipline check and a chance of failure, not just straight win.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 08 Sep 2010 17:50

gorboth wrote:The idea with taxation is that it changes the speed at which you gain experience. Thus, a guild with higher tax gets more abilities, but also is forced to gain experience more slowly. A person who joins all the highest taxed guilds in the game will definitely be able to kill faster than someone who joins only one low-tax melee guild. But that solo-melee-guild member will gain exp as fast if not faster than the player with the bloated guild membership and high tax if they play their cards correctly. (at least, in theory!)
Yea...and then people:

1. Create a character
2. Join DO + Minotaurs (or comparative)
3. Grind to myth with low tax, high Qxp & "under the radar"
4. Join powerful guild & abuse at will.

Gorboth, it's a deeply flawed system, it's proven to not work. Or I guess you can say that Genesis is proof that it does...But then, it depends on what you label as a succes. ;)

Also, it's NOT a choice between the flawed taxation method on one hand, or have every guild be a copy of the Mercenaries with different descriptions for the attacks.

Seriously, it's creative capitulation to see that as the only options.

...And all of this is not even opening the _huge_ can of worms that is PvP and gross imbalances that the taxation method inflicts in PvP.

EDIT: Rhynox - The Necro frighten can fail.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Freya

Post by Freya » 08 Sep 2010 22:39

While I am sure you want more and more Laurel, lets look at from a diffrent perspective.

Evil guilds does not have heal/rescue/move behind or other team help abilities available to goodaligned guilds.

Perhaps wizards have taken this into consideration when coding good aligned layman guilds?

Cause lets face it, goodaligned players have it alot easier to team up and kill bigger npcs/more rewarding npcs etc.

For evil players to take out the same kind of mobs, they need bigger players.

You don't see rising hero DA's in teams doing Terel trolls/Icewall etc, cause they cannot be kept safe with team abilities like goodies can. While you might take it for granted, but the ability to switch tanks and heal someone is key when your going to take smaller members out for exp.

But sure, lets give you more abilities to add to the superior ones you have already.

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 08 Sep 2010 23:14

Wow... this post blew up lol

Tive, the archers have a coded special with elemental arrows. Since the guilds are being rebalanced and the archers are probably considered the same type of guild as the rangers, but with no members, they'll probably be a year or two before they get looked at.

Whomever made the point about versatility, I back 100%. Everything shouldn't be compared on the field of "how fast I kill something" but should be compared with the pro's/con's of being part of that guild.

Necro's have lightning, runeshield, pet, portal, fear, etc.
You don't hear us complain about not having a peace, heal, autosneak, stun, etc because we know those are the advantages the other lay guilds have on us. I feel the lay guilds are fine because there are more goodie ones to join than evil, hence, the amount of choices you do have is also an advantage.

Honestly though, enjoy what you have when you have it. Shit will always change and people need to adapt with it.

-B

ps. where the hell is Tarax? I'd expect a 5 page reply from him on this topic...

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 09 Sep 2010 07:29

Yes all necro spells are subject to failure. Thank god they at least moved the damaging misfires when they nerfed the guild the first time. No more dying from a miscast spell.

Tarax just moved to the States, I expect he's still settling in ;)

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 09 Sep 2010 08:59

Ilrahil wrote:Tarax just moved to the States
phail ... :roll:

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 09 Sep 2010 20:20

Laurel wrote:necro - pretty strong if not strongest caster lay option there is - good offense AND usable defense (both usable at the same time) + nice perks

http://s481.photobucket.com/albums/rr17 ... g&newest=1
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 09 Sep 2010 22:07

feel free to write down which other caster lay has both offense, defense, potent scry (xcept for the obvious bug in it), travel aid and a pack-mule ... other than that, please go facepalm yourself :twisted:

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 09 Sep 2010 22:28

The real joke in what you said was that Necros had offensive power.. Because they dont...
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Zorath
Wanderer

Post by Zorath » 09 Sep 2010 22:33

Laurel wrote:feel free to write down which other caster lay has both offense, defense, potent scry (xcept for the obvious bug in it), travel aid and a pack-mule ... other than that, please go facepalm yourself :twisted:
pack-mule?
Do you mean the skeleton?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/