Herbal Wiki on Website?

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should the Official Genesis Webpage include a wiki-list for all herbs?

Yes
51%
No
49%

Total votes: 41

Laurel

Re: Herbal Wiki on Website?

Post by Laurel » 07 Sep 2010 19:15

Tive wrote:
Laurel wrote:cosnidering it's 8pro vs 10 against ... please don't make me the only one to voice it :?
Why not? we will let you take all the beating :P
as usual 8-) 8pro, 11 against :twisted:

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 07 Sep 2010 20:01

intially was against the idea.. but if there are not actual names of the herbs on the wikie.. then i don't really see the problem. Its not an herb map either... so you would still need to do some work to locate it and figure out what combination of herbs worked best for whatever adventure you were attempting.

quite honestly.. some of the current herbs out there are pretty useless these days... like ones that increase discipline.. since you can't really munch on them enough to attempt what you'd like to do based on the timer on herb consumption.

i also rather like the new methodology that was started in Terel for harvesting herbs.. it makes the search for them rather innovative. Though I do realize it wreaks havoc on people's herb scripts. It might be reason for that herb to have more effect than other easier found herbs.

I always loves the seeds that you could find - and with enough sense figure out how to gather the herbs from them. (Which btw would be an amazing upgrade for gardners).
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 08 Sep 2010 17:48

If you make Ithilien like the Silver Forest, then the mages and rangers would need to spend the first couple of days mapping areas, then the next couple of days gathering equipment, and then the last days trying to recycle the equipment :P

Booger
Veteran

Post by Booger » 29 Nov 2010 22:18

Interesting idea.
I've been for it and against it and for it and against it. Finally I decided a counter suggestion:
Why not put it in the game instead?

No need to have a wikipedia open, and everyone automatically gets the advantage - even clueless newbies. And if this feels too generous to players, then a wikipedia would be too generous as well.

Think of it this way (assume the herb you look at is out of your skill):
* When looking at a herb that has a unique short description, you automatically get the nice long description (same as if you would look it up in wikipedia, but without the hazzle).
* When looking at a herb that shares short description with others, if this one is the only one you don't have skill to recognize, you automatically get the nice long description. If there are others unavailable to you as well, you will see the different unavailable ones, eg:
"This must be one of three possible herbs. Either
<nice description for herb possibility 1>
or...
<nice description for herb possibility 2>
or...
<nice description for herb possibility 3>"
Naturally, any herb I have skill enough to recognize will not be part of this list.

This would have the added bonus of actually making herblore more useful in some instances. Eg, right now I have too low skill to differ between Marigold (cures rashes and insect bites?) and Tansy (poison). Both are "a bright yellow flower". But now I can differ between them, knowing that Marigold has the long description "A bright yellow flower with five petals." and Tansy has "This is a bright yellow flower."
With my suggestion, looking at either of them would give me both long descriptions, so I would know that I had either a cure against my rash or another poison. But no way of telling which one.

I haven't thought too much about this, so there might be flaws, but it feels like a possibility, or at least something that might be turned into something useful.

No matter what, I'd suggest that if you decide it's worth putting in wiki, it's better to put it directly into the game instead.
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/