herbs/packs/etc. saving time

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Greywolf
Adventurer

Re: herbs/packs/etc. saving time

Post by Greywolf » 25 Sep 2010 19:39

Laurel wrote:I'm not quite in the flame mood here, tho I am tired after the whole week and driving 2 days in a row across this idiotic country with no highways ... so, let's try to stay civil after all, eventho my first response was close to "go **** ******** and **** ******".
Thank God for asterisks...would hate to have seen what would have happened if you had been unable to control yourself. In the future maybe use other characters too just to spice things. For example if you think someone is being a complete idiot you could write "I can't believe how much of a %^&*(%$ idiot you must be not to understand the logic behind what is being discussed". Or if someone gets personal and implies you should go fuck yourself you could write something like "Right back at you, you ignorant %^&$#* &^%$*&^, (*&! for brains @#$ &*%!@#&^% prick". After all, if you don't actually type the naughty bits then the sentiment is in no way uncivil. I bet you could even write really constructive and interesting posts using nothing but special characters if you tried. I would certainly enjoy reading them.
Laurel wrote:I find it amazing how wizards who supposedly work on enhancing the gaming experience for gamers find reasons to NOT deal with issues. Be it cheater/scripter/boter or idea reports - all get the same response in this forum: "I don't care as long it's not in-game". Great thing that such ideas like increased mailbox and herb-recovery changes were implemented ... I wonder: did anyone report those in-game?

Well - why do you care about sharing wiz-info then? It happens out of game ...
We are actually discussing something wizards requested to make it easier for them to deal with suggestions from players. That way there is a greater chance they actually have the time to do something about them. Maybe you missed that part. Also I am pretty sure the response from the wizards in this discussion was not "I don't care as long it's not in-game" but rather the complete opposite "we do care, please put it in the game". I am sure you are just tired and confused after your long drive and all.

Obviously the whole wiz info issue is completely relevant to this discussion though and I would like to hear what else you have to say about it. Maybe start another thread about that and I will be sure to respond.
Laurel wrote:I am simply AGAINST "rules" that do NOT add value but work. The "in game" dogma is such a "rule", that is meanwhile quite outdated imo. I understood it when wizards did not want to participate in players' forums. This is somewhat different in this forum, or? This forum is partly a way to discuss and comminicate with wizards so ... what is the issue?!?!
The "rule" is actually a request that would save work for the wizards. The value added is a more efficient, easier process for the wizards. Maybe you didn't realize the point wasn't to make your life easier but the wizard's. Don't worry, that's completely understandable.
Laurel wrote:Just create yourself an idea folder in Genesis (notepad style?) and add ideas to it for all wizards to see as "available" or "Blizzard/Novo/Shinto work on it", etc.?
I think that is pretty much what they did. It's not notepad style but it does resemble the mail system in Genesis quite closely. In fact works exactly the same way. And not only that but players actually have access to it!! How cool is that?

Anyways, hope you recover from the trip Laurel - Greywolf

Greywolf
Adventurer

Post by Greywolf » 25 Sep 2010 19:57

amberlee wrote:I kinda feel that the "We do this job in our spare time" argument is kinda moot.
Heck, we the players spend our free time playing the game.
Why?
I can only assume that you wizards code because coding and development interests you.
Just as we players play the game because it interests us.

edit.

I feel i should clarify that this isnt an attempt to bash you or anyone else that has obligations outside the game and that has limited time.
On the contrary i have the uttermost respect for that.
But just dont say that your time is more worth then ours(the players)
Face it.. Genesis is a symbiotic community.
We the players wouldnt be able to play the game we love/hate/worship/condemn if it werent for you.
But then again you wizards wouldnt have a game to work on if it werent for us the players :)
I have always thought I was lucky there were wizards who spent time creating Genesis and allowed me to play as much as I wanted for free. I never believed that what I bring to the game is anywhere near comparable to what a wizard contributes. So if a wizard says to me "Hey good idea, mail me in game to save me time and effort and I will see what I can do about implementing your idea" I feel exited I am able to contribute, fortunate someone is actually interested in my ideas and motivated to help.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 26 Sep 2010 01:52

Greywolf wrote:The "rule" is actually a request that would save work for the wizards.
what exact "WORK" would it save Tapakah if I mailed anything in game, what he (and other wizards) already read here?

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 26 Sep 2010 02:05

Laurel: It's clear you're not interested in understanding. Your question has been answered both by myself, Greywolf and Gorboth...

This once nice idea turned into... I dont know what. Silly is what it is.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 26 Sep 2010 11:23

Yet again - no logical argument.

It's all dogma for me. Wizards can't seem to keep track of potential game enhancements without an in-game mail? It's a problem of tools available to them - not responsibility shifting to the players.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 26 Sep 2010 13:41

Laurel,

I've felt bad about my last post since I made it. It is my job to keep a cool head and explain things to players who aren't understanding something or are frustrated. As such, I apologize for slipping into a semi-rant above.

There is absolutely no dogma at work here. No no ... this is really really simple. I am just so dang busy, that I can't remember which hand is my left. The only reason I ask players to mail me in-game is because it really helps me to get things done faster. You are absolutely correct that I could take the time to open a notepad, add some idea to it, and then move on. Yes, I definitely could! The sad fact of the matter is that I tend to have about 10 things going on at any given time, and to add that eleventh, while a great idea, is just not always going to happen. Should it happen? Yes! Will it? Well ... half the time it probably wont. So, I ask players to help by sending me a mail. It is the way I remember to do things.

If that is too much for me to ask, then you have my apologies for being such a difficult wizard.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Recoba
Great Adventurer

Post by Recoba » 26 Sep 2010 14:57

Laurel wrote:
Greywolf wrote:The "rule" is actually a request that would save work for the wizards.
what exact "WORK" would it save Tapakah if I mailed anything in game, what he (and other wizards) already read here?
I'd say that if they ask you for an in-game mail then perhaps you just have to respect them enough to trust in that they have a reason for it (good or not, but presumably they have thought about it, right?). It's not like they are asking you to do a lot of work.
If you don't trust them to even be able to make a sensible decision about how to organize their correspondence, then why would you trust them to design and fix guilds, balance the game and other more complicated stuff?

I know very well from my own line of work that keeping notes and information in the right place are absolutely vital to being able to move forward effectively with any project. Bring in the family equation too and you'll find that your very life depends on it :D

Anyway, I think Gorboth's earlier note explained his point with perfect clarity and excellent politeness.

I think you're just tired from the long drive. Now go to the fridge, get a can of beer, sit down on the couch, relax and have a think about it :)

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 27 Sep 2010 04:24

Restrict your character for two weeks, that will keep your herbs with you since they are not unique items and you are stating beforehand that you will be away for at least that long.

Oh, it only supports up to one month? Maybe that should be reviewed. Doesn't save your herbs either? Hmm... I guess that should be modified as well. I wonder if I should report that...

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/