Changes

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
OgreToyBoy
Champion

Changes

Post by OgreToyBoy » 15 Nov 2010 17:22

What would people feel like if we did a character wipe and change the accursed xp system.
Perhaps changing so its a fixed brutal either using mortal levels or pure general + combatxp.
Questxp should still be something you can't loose and maybe high questxp cause your death penalty to be less or something similar.
Somehow have those old players stillg et some sort of small advanatage or tokens from their years of support to this game.

I've asked three persons to try this game and all three of them liked the newbie area and they claimed to be well informed of the different things you can and can't do upon leaving that area. After a while when they had explored Sparkle and made a dash into Re Albi as I suggested that as a good area for smallish guys, I slipped them a questfile to aid them on questing as they all were cursing about how hard it is to grow. That helped but well they got tired of the need to quest, the forced part of this game. We old dudes who already did the quests applaud this part as it seed out those who don't have the patience(?).
Can illustrate with something like this as it describe another game. Change EVE for Genesis MUD and the other games for different DIKUmuds or some other plain non questxp mud.

Needless to say these guys did not endure the test and won't return as long as they are forced to quest. I'm not sure a change like this really would work and attract new players but the way things are now we wont see any new player stick around for a longer period of time. If we wiped many of the old guys might leave but I'm not so sure, if they are not forced to do all quests again to get 'big' most will return. Also some way of control on playersize is needed, why not cap size on let's say X using humans as template. So once you reach X on STR you cant progress any more, still it would require quite some work to get said stats and maybe have Extr Violent on Myth would cause people to grow slower.
Just a few ideas so no hate :lol:

Alorrana
Myth

Re: Changes

Post by Alorrana » 15 Nov 2010 17:29

Im for the removal of q xp to grow.. I mean as you say make tokens, abilities to gain from quests and things like that, but you should be able to just grind your way to myth if thats what you want. If not very good to the english language some of the quests can still be a, pardon my french, bit a hell of a pissy job to get through. Further more I think many chooses to just say no to the game because you HAVE to quest to become a size of influance.
Questing here, compared to wow is much harder.. much much.. So reward quests with keeping items/tokens/medallions/cash/special skill/ so people would still gain a cool thing by doing the quest, but they didnt NEED to quest.

Jolly ho !
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 15 Nov 2010 18:35

I think the _need_ to quest is a major hindrance for the game, and I think it should be optional.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 15 Nov 2010 19:20

Wipe all characters? Are you kidding? What good would that do?

Changing quest XP, well couldnt we do that without wiping all chars?? But, well I dont know... I always liked this game for what it is. I like that it is not like WoW. I like many of the quests. What they would need is upped reward if anything. But thats me. I dont know why we always assume new players would not like it as it is? I mean, we did, didnt we?

Okay, your three buddies didnt like the questing part, but it does not mean everyone wont. Like with all choices, some will like it, some will not. I think questing is much more interesting than grinding, with or without solutions. (I probably did half the quests with and half without I would guess). If something I think the edge for solving quests should be bigger than the edge you get by having a nice grinding-script... so if you wanna remove the current system I definitely think questing should come with a much better reward. I just dont think grinding is fun at all, what should we get who dont like that part?

But thats me!'

It about choices, what type of game our designers want. What type of players we want. Cant get all types. Just as there is often probabaly diffrent types of people who play WoW and Eve too. Obviously, Eve is a successful game even if WoW is "easier" to play.

Gub
Adventurer

Post by Gub » 15 Nov 2010 23:03

The friend who introduced me to Genesis never plays. He used to play awhile ago, but I don't think he ever made it passed GA. He hates the questing, but loves everything else about Genesis.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 16 Nov 2010 09:21

Its one of the reasons I haven't been back personally, you get to a certain point where the quests are either so screwed up to where you keep saying "Oh well I'll just come back to that one" or you have someone who has the patience to hold your hand and give you the walkthrough for it.

I'm not as clever as most when it comes to questing and don't feel like spending days upon days either feeling retarded by bugging people for some hints or trying to figure out what the hell the wizard coding it was thinking to begin with. All just so I can keep up.

Call it lazy because I am unable to do what most have done or can do or whatever you will, but there are several other gaming options for me then getting pissy over typing in 50 different commands just to try and find the 1 syntax for the quest.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 16 Nov 2010 15:22

But why is it you feel you have to quest so much?

It is still optional isnt it? Maybe it will be harder to grow myth without much quest xp, but does everyone have to be myths?

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 16 Nov 2010 15:41

Cherek wrote:But why is it you feel you have to quest so much?

It is still optional isnt it? Maybe it will be harder to grow myth without much quest xp, but does everyone have to be myths?

People want that title because its there to reach. Its all part of gaming Cherek. In diablo you dont settle for level 40 when you can go to level 60.. Wow players dont settle for level 20 when they can go to level 80- they put a mountain there.. now people want to climb it. but its almost impossible if not impossible to do with out major questing..

And fact is we all have friends who gave up the game because they have to quest.. Quests should be optional.. something to do if you want to.. To get a helmet, armour, cash, tokiens, skills, spells what ever.. but fact is there should be a reward. and qxp should be sent to hell.

Then people would still feel they gotten something cool from the quests. and people can choose to say, nah ill do with out. Im okay as I am. but for those who wants it, its possible.
the reason its a shitty system is that you can spend 2-3 hrs earning 300 qxp.. and thats just fucked.. If i spend 3 hrs on doing something, I want a damned good reward.. something to hold, see and touch.. Jahuu qxp.. lowered brute.. bah ! crazy system..

But fact is PEOPLE give up gaming cause of quests.. we dont get players to stay.. becaus if english isnt your NATIVE language, or your not UBER good to english its fucking hard ! and even more fucking annoying. ! pardon my french, But i see no reason in all heaven and hell to let quests remain as they are. they are spoiling the game for many more than you think. questing shouldnt be forced. wich they are.. how far can you go with out quests.. Veteran/expert..? Uhhh.. not much.. but there is no reason at all to not change the questing system+ xp. like Greneth said, its what keeps us from making seconds too.. it pissy. borring and not worth the time.

sorry if i sounded a bit pissy in this replay, no offence ment. but Questing really pisses me off.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 16 Nov 2010 16:15

Alorrana: Hold on, first you say gaming works in a way that people "want" the next level, the best stuff, etc. Then you want to change all quests to give rewards in forms of cool items and things? Well isnt that just the same? Dont you think people feel they "need" it too? Just as they "need" to be myths and "need" to have the best gear? If Irk have these cool spells and items he got from quests, I want them too... Thats how gaming works...

You want quests to be optional but up their reward...? If they have more reward they will be even less
optional than now, then you will feel you "have" to do them even more. Coins? Items? Spells? We have 300 quests or so, it's not realistic to change them all into items, coins and spells. After the change we would go around with 100 quest items, huge heaps of platinum and 100 spells? I think people will want that and will be "forced" to quest even more! And on the other hand, the reward cant be too little either or it wouldnt be worthwhile to quest at all.... a dilemma for sure.

By the way, do you think questing was more optional in the past When champion was the highest title and you probably could beat yourself to champ without doing one quest? Perhaps it was...

And are you sure people leave because of quests alone? Isnt it the combination of the quest/grind system?
So if we fixed the grinding system instead, make it less boring, lower the "cap" for getting the highest title, the problem shouldnt be so bad because then you could grind yourself up without quests, but doing quests would make it go quicker just as it is now. Sounds like an easier solution to many problems, not only questing. But then again, that would make people leave too!

People will always leave for tons of reasons no matter which choice you make. Remove the edge you get from quests and I would probably leave. But perhaps I am a minority who likes questing more than grinding. It sure seems like it... in that case, that the majority of the population just hates quests they should just be removed alltogether from the game.

Yes, some quests are illogical and have stupid syntaxes. But I think alot of people just assume all quests are stupid and illogical because all they ever did was follow the quest solutions. Many quests are actually well made and logical if you take the time and actually look around and think.

Anyway, having said all that. Yes, something could be done for quests, but I think it has to involve somehow changing the experience rewards for them in some way. But what type of reward is good enough to make it worth all those illogical syntaxes, and still not something people feel they "need"?

I dont know.

Uther
Great Adventurer

Post by Uther » 16 Nov 2010 17:09

I love the picture!!!!
All comments are made by the player behind Uther, NOT THE CHARACTER UTHER!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/