Facebook "Like" Button

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
petros
Site Admin

Facebook "Like" Button

Post by petros » 31 Dec 2010 04:34

I've made some modifications to the "prosilver" template to include a Facebook "Like" button. Before I go ahead and make the changes to the other available templates, could some folks give it a try and let me know if it works correctly for you?

Instructions:
1. Go to your User Control Panel
2. Go to Board Preferences
3. Select the "prosilver" template and Apply changes.
4. Make sure you're logged into Facebook and go to any post in a forum that is publicly accessible.
5. Check to make sure there's a "Like" button on the post.

I think there's a small issue right now with forums that aren't public. I'll look into that later.

Update: I fixed it so that you can like even protected forums.
Update: Ooops, didn't realize no one else could reply in the other forum. Send me a PM if you still can't reply to this post.
Update: I've added the "like" button to all the templates. It should work on all browsers but I only tested Chrome and IE 8. For those that use facebook, did you know we have a Facebook group dedicated to Genesis MUD? Join today!

Creed

Re: Facebook "Like" Button

Post by Creed » 01 Jan 2011 01:52

Is there a way, in which I can get rid of that button again?

I don't use facebook, and I don't like it.
And I personally think its annoying that it has to spam everything, no matter where I go..
So.. how do I turn it off? And if its not possible right now, can you make it an option we can set individually?

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 01 Jan 2011 02:11

PM me which style/theme you use for your board preferences and I can create a theme that doesn't have it. Then you can switch to it without the button.

Does it really bother that much? It's one additional button on a page with many buttons already...

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 01 Jan 2011 04:46

Come on Creed, adding a Facebook-button wont harm anything and it might a actually do something good in terms of promotion. Even if you hate Facebook so much, I think you can put up with accidently spotting a small button on the forum from time to time...?

I dont really like Facebook myself, but for the potential of reaching out to even a single new player by connecting ourselves to Facebook I think we can put up with a small button...

Anyway, button works fine as far as I can tell.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 01 Jan 2011 12:56

Maybe I'm blind, but I don't even see this button?

Is it because you enabled it first, and now can't turn it off or?
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 01 Jan 2011 15:25

Which browser and which board style are you using? Feel free to sen by email and I'll test it out. IE had some script issues that required some extra tweaks. May have missed something.

Onton
Wanderer

Post by Onton » 01 Jan 2011 16:04

I also dislike facebook. I can see how it might be useful for getting new players though.
The whole lines on these pages were blocked by my existing facebook adblock. It's easy to use adblock in firefox or chrome to block just the facebook stuff on this forum as it's all in an iframe... :geek:

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 01 Jan 2011 19:32

petros wrote:Which browser and which board style are you using? Feel free to sen by email and I'll test it out. IE had some script issues that required some extra tweaks. May have missed something.
I'm using FF 3,6 with adblock + scriptblock. Boardstyle subsilver 2.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Creed

Post by Creed » 01 Jan 2011 19:52

Seems like its gone for me right now.

I don't say its a bad thing that its there. All I asked for was a way to make it optional. And it seems such a way is possible.
I too can see all the benefits with adding some link from here to facebook. No doubt about it. But if I can help myself from seeing it, then Ill be more happy :)

Im using the standard green setting and IE8.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 02 Jan 2011 01:47

But I am using the standard green too, like most of us I guess. Probably better if the default skin has the "like" button? (sorry Creed, but it is.:)). Perhaps there is a similar skin that could not have it?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/