Herb gathering code (zMud 7.21)

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Makfly
Champion

Re: Herb gathering code (zMud 7.21)

Post by Makfly » 14 Jan 2011 23:48

It also have one other flaw. If you start moving around because someone is attacking you or whatever, it continues to tick down the long alias list.

Maybe there is a command that can cancel an Alias mid-way, but I don't know it atleast. You can ofcourse close zMud and start it again :)
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 15 Jan 2011 01:52

That's one thing. Another is the fact that searching for herbs that aren't there can eat up A LOT of time.
With my herbing script, which moves on when there are no herbs and searching only in certain rooms for specific herbs it could take me 20+ minutes to move through one area. With searching for non-existent herbs you're looking at double the time.

And you're wrong, the simplest way is to create script like that (and it will be faster too):

1. Herb found = search again
2. Herb not found = %dir, search
3. Startup alias: move = /set %dir e, search here for herbs
4. Trigger: no such exit = n, /set %dir w, search here for herbs

More or less it keeps searching until there are no more herbs, then goes one pace in desired direction and repeats until there are no more exits, it then goes north, south or wherever you wish and proceeds from there.
It's the best and fastest way to go through large and simple areas (aka Plains of Abanasinia, Calian Moorlands etc.).
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 15 Jan 2011 02:06

Makfly wrote:It also have one other flaw. If you start moving around because someone is attacking you or whatever, it continues to tick down the long alias list.

Maybe there is a command that can cancel an Alias mid-way, but I don't know it atleast. You can ofcourse close zMud and start it again :)
Correct. I only said it was the easiest way, not the best. I dont know if there is a cancel command, there should be one?

However it will not matter, you will be dead anyway if attacked since you're most likely not looking at your screen while the herb-bot runs. (If you say you do I dont believe you!).

Switching on an "attacks you" beep-trigger in the beginning of the alias, and switching it off in the end, is probably a good idea.

Johnny
Veteran

Post by Johnny » 15 Jan 2011 07:19

Ok so here is what I would do, and is what I do.

Open up wordpad and set it up just as it below and save it as herber:
#T+ {You search everywhere and find no herbs};#T+ {Your search reveals nothing};#T+ {You find (%*)!};#read 1
n
search here for attanar
e
search here for whitehorn
e
search here for skunk berries
s;#T- {You find (%*)!};#T- {Your search reveals nothing};#T- {You search everywhere and find no herbs};#close herber

Ok now for the triggers

#TRIGGER {You search everywhere and find no herbs} {#read 1}
#TRIGGER {Your search reveals nothing} {#read 1}
#TRIGGER {You find (%*)!} {search here for (%1)}
#TRIGGER {attacks you!} {#close 1;#mess 6000 {You are being attacked!!!}}

Now you are ready to herb, head to position x. Now bring up the characters list on zmud, click file in the upper left hand corner. Click New, then file. Then for the File Icon Name type herber then click ok. From there find where you saved the file then select and open it. Make sure it is in the first slot on the characters list so you might have to arrange the ircons by date. Then go back to your screen and type #file 1 herber
then type #read 1 and you are good and on your way. And if you get attacked you will stop the script and get a pop up message telling you that you are being attacked. I'm pretty sure that is everything, hopefully I didn't miss anything.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 15 Jan 2011 11:36

Thats one way to do it, I like the #BEEP command as well for when I'm attacked or people enter my room, though if I remember right the sound is low in zmud. A much cleaner way would be to work #VAR and #IF into it but I'm a gardener so I've never worked on a herb script.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 15 Jan 2011 11:39

I used to be a gardener and never really used their lfind. It was too heavy on mana for what it does and when you know your herbing areas by heart it becomes useless. Maybe in the non-static and semi-static herbing areas, but even then I didn't find it all that useful.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 15 Jan 2011 11:42

Rhaegar wrote:I used to be a gardener and never really used their lfind. It was too heavy on mana for what it does and when you know your herbing areas by heart it becomes useless. Maybe in the non-static and semi-static herbing areas, but even then I didn't find it all that useful.
Eh I find it extremely useful as I dont need mana, never use it 90% of the time unless im trying to portal back home. Places like Gont, Sybarus and Calia it works wonders in.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 15 Jan 2011 12:18

Rhaegar wrote:That's one thing. Another is the fact that searching for herbs that aren't there can eat up A LOT of time.
With my herbing script, which moves on when there are no herbs and searching only in certain rooms for specific herbs it could take me 20+ minutes to move through one area. With searching for non-existent herbs you're looking at double the time.

And you're wrong, the simplest way is to create script like that (and it will be faster too):

1. Herb found = search again
2. Herb not found = %dir, search
3. Startup alias: move = /set %dir e, search here for herbs
4. Trigger: no such exit = n, /set %dir w, search here for herbs

More or less it keeps searching until there are no more herbs, then goes one pace in desired direction and repeats until there are no more exits, it then goes north, south or wherever you wish and proceeds from there.
It's the best and fastest way to go through large and simple areas (aka Plains of Abanasinia, Calian Moorlands etc.).
Well, it depends. If you know the name and locations of the herbs you're much better off actually writing down the whole path you want to walk. Searching for herbs in every location on a huge plain will take alot of time and leave you with tons of herbs you didnt want. And searching in locations you know your particular herb doesnt exist will as well.

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 15 Jan 2011 12:33

I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 15 Jan 2011 17:33

Alorrana doesnt approve? :)

Well I would never consider herbing without any sort of script or triggers, and I think many agree on that. It's simply too boring. So its either use a script or not play. I would love to see a herbbot for everyone included in the game so we wont need to come up with our own scripts. Makes it very hard for those who dont know how to, or just dont wanna bother with it.

I didnt know gardeners had something like that? How does it work? Could it be expanded/improved somehow?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/