Herb gathering code (zMud 7.21)

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rhaegar
Legend

Re: Herb gathering code (zMud 7.21)

Post by Rhaegar » 15 Jan 2011 18:16

Then everyone would be a Gardener. As it is, I believe that large enough population is already in the guild (although I still am a hardcore Mariner fan).
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 15 Jan 2011 20:48

Everyone doesnt bother about herbing. Far from, so no, everyone wouldnt be a gardener. But it would be a good options if you dont want to or can write your own herb-script.

Or just make it a global feature...

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 15 Jan 2011 21:08

There are people who have gathered gazillions of herbs (be it out of curiosity, for guild or personal use or just plain general xp when it meant something back in the days) without any scripts and probably still do so.
My point being, herbing scripts are not always necessary, if you enjoy herbing you don't need them, if you don't, choose a guild where you won't have to be herbing. Simple as that.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 17 Jan 2011 11:37

Rhaeger: I suppose there might be those who enjoy manually typing search here for herbs a gazilion times, but I still dont get why you're against my suggestion of making herbing easier without knowledge of scripting?

Why not give those who DONT like manual herbing a chance too, without having to script?

Sure we can say:
If you dont like herbing, dont join a spellcaster guild, if you dont like pvp, dont join a pvp guild, if you dont like questing, dont quest, if you dont like grinding.... etc, etc.

But I think it would be better to improve those things so that more people find them enjoyable instead of just saying "dont like it? go away!"

Anyway, off topic I guess.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 17 Jan 2011 14:50

WARNING! RANT IN PROGRESS!

I hate herbing, I do not know how to make scripts and I don't understand why someone is supposed to have a big edge in the game just because (s)he can use their client better then me.
I will never be a caster, I do not run around with healing herbs or protective herbs. Those herbs are there to give the people that are prepared to spend the time herbing this edge over me not people that happened to know how to make a script in Zmud. Personally I think that scripting shouldn't be legal.

Cherek, WHY should those that don't like herbing have any herbs? Please explain? The people that likes herbing have herbs because they spend their time herbing, not becuase they do it with a script(I hope). You don't like herbing, do like me, don't herb or buy them from someone that do like herbing. Why should you have herbs?
Maybe what you want is that everyone should wake up with all the herbs they want? Great! Lets make it so we can pray in Sparkle and the gods will fill our pouches with all the herbs we want!
And this goes with everything else people do scripting. My solution, death without recovery. And that includes the people that a sleep walking in teams.

In case you haven't noticed, I get in a bad mood about the whole scripting thing. This is NOT personal against Cherek. I just think people wants to make this game too easy, everyone wants everything for free. They want to join any guild without working for it, and that is what has taken away roleplay from this game. They want the best equipment, make it easier to recover from death, bigger enemies and fast experience etc etc.
I say, you want something, WORK FOR IT! You want herbs, herb them yourself.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 17 Jan 2011 16:39

Arcon:

Calm down, I just learned gardeners have some ability to automatically search for herbs and merely suggested it could be something to expand.

Your other remarks about starting the game with everything we want etc are just silly, and I never claimed that, but if you wanna go down that road of exaggeration... consider this then:

You want things to be hard. You want to make scripting illegal. Well, where do we draw the line? What about triggers? Is a trigger to fire you special attack "worse" then a trigger on "You find a herb"? I assume you use triggers to fight?

How about aliases, you use that? Or do you type everything out all the time?

You dont use color-coding since it makes you see things better and you want things hard?

You completely disapprove of using paths to move around I assume and never use them yourself?

Well if you dont want anyone to use paths, aliases or triggers to find herbs, then I assume you dont think they should be allowed for anything else either?

Really? You dont use these things and dont think anyone should be able to use them?

Me, I am all for making repetitive tasks less repetitive. Herbing is one of those where you repeat the same command thousands of times in a row. You actually think many people think that is fun?

I do not like typing the same thing thousands of times. I however like aspects of the game involved with herbs so I use a some simple aliases and triggers to allow me to gather herbs without typing the same thing thousands of times. You want to make that illegal then I am out. I will not go back to telnet type of playing for no reason. Sorry.

Also I will bet you 1.000 platinum coins that the majority of players with alot of herbs on them have used some types of triggers or scripts to get them.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 17 Jan 2011 17:11

I'm using a couple of aliases and 1 trigger for herbing.

Aliases:

search here for %% (obviously)
container handling aliases (put, get, close, open)

Trigger:

you find = put in pouch and search again

That's it. And that's how I've been gathering my herbs (and note that I'm in a herb-heavy guild).

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 17 Jan 2011 17:49

Repetetive tasks is what Genesis is all about, don't you know? How many times each logging do you type "Kill xxxxx"? What is the difference of a herb script that search for several herbs and moves you to next location to one that do the same thing just change the "search here for xxx" to "kill xxx"? Or how about a hunting trigger? I have been hunted by a player much bigger then me that used one and with a better conection also, I survived because I found a not too normal exit (I sailed away).

People that don't like herbing but wants to have herbs should join the gardeners, thats what they are there for.

btw I did warn you about a rant.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 17 Jan 2011 18:03

Cherek wrote:Arcon:

Calm down, I just learned gardeners have some ability to automatically search for herbs and merely suggested it could be something to expand.

Your other remarks about starting the game with everything we want etc are just silly, and I never claimed that, but if you wanna go down that road of exaggeration... consider this then:

You want things to be hard. You want to make scripting illegal. Well, where do we draw the line? What about triggers? Is a trigger to fire you special attack "worse" then a trigger on "You find a herb"? I assume you use triggers to fight?

How about aliases, you use that? Or do you type everything out all the time?

You dont use color-coding since it makes you see things better and you want things hard?

You completely disapprove of using paths to move around I assume and never use them yourself?

Well if you dont want anyone to use paths, aliases or triggers to find herbs, then I assume you dont think they should be allowed for anything else either?

Really? You dont use these things and dont think anyone should be able to use them?

Me, I am all for making repetitive tasks less repetitive. Herbing is one of those where you repeat the same command thousands of times in a row. You actually think many people think that is fun?

I do not like typing the same thing thousands of times. I however like aspects of the game involved with herbs so I use a some simple aliases and triggers to allow me to gather herbs without typing the same thing thousands of times. You want to make that illegal then I am out. I will not go back to telnet type of playing for no reason. Sorry.

Also I will bet you 1.000 platinum coins that the majority of players with alot of herbs on them have used some types of triggers or scripts to get them.
Just a quick input, maybe you misunderstood me or me you here. Gardeners dont have an ability like a script. What they have is called lfind. And it works like it always has. You choose one herb that you would like to search for and when you enter a room it tells you if the herb is in the room, if there are herbs but not that one in the room or if you cannot detect any herbs at all. It can be pretty accurate if you herbalism is high and your guild stat is high, but most of the time you need to enter the room about twice just to be sure. The ability takes a bit of mana and can drain a fighter character rather quickly. Everything is done manually unless you can make a script to work with it.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 17 Jan 2011 18:09

Arcon: There is little difference between herbing triggers and killing triggers / scripts. And both are very commonly used, you may not like it. But its a reality.

Genesis for me is not about repating the same command over and over again. The more of that eliminated, the better in my opinion.

And yes, Gardeners. My original point, that you got all fired after reading, was to improve the Gardener abilities thus eliminate the need for custom scripts. Making it easier for _everyone_ to herb, not only those with scripting skills. I do not think you should have to be a programmer to enjoy the game.

And no I do not like people or teams that run on triggers, never RPing, never speaking, but if a killing scripts or triggers can take care of the repetitive tasks involved in killing I feel I can focus more on socializing with my team. And if my herb-script cuts down my herbing time to a minimum I can spend more time actually RP'ing and meeting people than spending them alone in some bushes writing "Search here for x" over and over and over again.

So I am all for scripts/triggers/aliases, preferable in-game ones that everyone can enjoy.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/