Herb gathering code (zMud 7.21)

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Herb gathering code (zMud 7.21)

Post by Cherek » 17 Jan 2011 18:15

Greneth wrote: Just a quick input, maybe you misunderstood me or me you here. Gardeners dont have an ability like a script. What they have is called lfind. And it works like it always has. You choose one herb that you would like to search for and when you enter a room it tells you if the herb is in the room, if there are herbs but not that one in the room or if you cannot detect any herbs at all. It can be pretty accurate if you herbalism is high and your guild stat is high, but most of the time you need to enter the room about twice just to be sure. The ability takes a bit of mana and can drain a fighter character rather quickly. Everything is done manually unless you can make a script to work with it.
Aha. Now I see.

Well that is useful still. So my suggestion to expand it would then be something like adding an "automatic search with an on and off switch" for that chosen herb and perhaps even the possibility to "record" a path to walk. RP-wise perhaps in the form of some sort of path you draw on a paper and then the next time you can automatically follow the path you drew.

Draining some mana sounds like a fair prize to pay for it.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 17 Jan 2011 18:49

Cherek wrote:
Greneth wrote: Just a quick input, maybe you misunderstood me or me you here. Gardeners dont have an ability like a script. What they have is called lfind. And it works like it always has. You choose one herb that you would like to search for and when you enter a room it tells you if the herb is in the room, if there are herbs but not that one in the room or if you cannot detect any herbs at all. It can be pretty accurate if you herbalism is high and your guild stat is high, but most of the time you need to enter the room about twice just to be sure. The ability takes a bit of mana and can drain a fighter character rather quickly. Everything is done manually unless you can make a script to work with it.
Aha. Now I see.

Well that is useful still. So my suggestion to expand it would then be something like adding an "automatic search with an on and off switch" for that chosen herb and perhaps even the possibility to "record" a path to walk. RP-wise perhaps in the form of some sort of path you draw on a paper and then the next time you can automatically follow the path you drew.

Draining some mana sounds like a fair prize to pay for it.
Yeah specially when you forget to turn it off and join your friends then need a bit of mana for something and find out your a vegetable :(

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 17 Jan 2011 19:29

Greneth: Well thanks to the automatic herbing you hopefully have a bunch of mana herbs to use then!

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 18 Jan 2011 02:34

Real Genesis players (TM) go all commando with naked telnet and play eyes wide shut.
They eat flagstones and drink rocket fuel for breakfast.

Earth
Great Adventurer

Post by Earth » 19 Jan 2011 00:10

There have been a lot of discussion about triggers and clients and such, so I thought I'd throw in my 2 cc worth of discussion.

Most know that I'm quite advanced in my knowledge of scripting, and actually I have an extensive herbing set of triggers and such. I admit that I have spent hours and hours developing my triggers. In my mind, I relate developing these triggers as OOC "quests" to be solved, where there is a long term benefit to my investment in time.

The admin has acknowledged that triggers and clients are ok, as long as you are aware of your character. Just like quests, you can always invest the time yourself or find someone who has done it before for hints (or even the solution). I don't see why this would be a problem for anyone to do.

I have literally spent more than an 100 hours on my scripts, and I feel that I should be entitled to the benefits of this, especially since I spent hours and hours learning how to write scripts in general, then spent hours and hours testing my scripts in game to get them to work correctly.

Let me give you an idea of the complexity of what I have done (in CMUDPro):

1. I have completely mapped (via my client) an area that I know to be full of herbs.
2. In certain rooms of the map, I have set the "next room" location, so that the client knows where to herb next (when you can't travel any more in a particular direction).
3. There are triggers to handle all the alternate messages to "There is no obvious exit".
4. There are triggers to handle the fact that many times there are no obvious exits (when on a plain or something).
4. I have multiple variables that list which herbs are good or bad and which are ambiguous.
5. I have variables (which I reset each armageddon) that keep track of all the rooms where I found a particular herb.
6. I have a function which predicts the plural name of any given herb (you'd be surprised how difficult this particular function is).
7. I have a set of aliases that allows me to quickly tell the client whether I'm looking for any and all herbs, or just a particular one.
8. Etc, etc, etc...

So, you would think with all these powerful triggers that took hours and hours to develop, that gathering herbs would be an easy task, but since the locations of herbs in many areas is completely random each armageddon cycle, gathering herbs is still a wholly time consuming task.

As a member of my particular guilds, I need a number of different types of herbs, so each armageddon cycle, Earth has to roam one particular area over and over again, looking for different herbs. For example in one area, it takes about 40 minutes to cover a whole area. So if I'm looking for 6 different types of herbs, it will take 6 x 40 minutes = 4 hours to get a map of where certain herbs can be found.

Now, at least for me, once this is done, I can gather herbs fairly quickly (1.5 hours) to get all 6 different types of herbs from all locations it can be found in this particular area. I can't imagine what others do without the extra 'assistance' of the client. For others, it would probably take much longer.

Realize, that this is all time where I could be grinding or doing something else. Also, if I don't log in once per Armie, I hit the RobeLim, and lose all my herbs. During this time, the general exp is minimal, so the benefit is not realized until combat, and even then, it's limited by mana to cast spells and the time limit to actually use the herbs directly.

Don't hate the scripters. At least I personally try to script so I can get all the mundane tasks out of the way so I can spend time actually enjoying the game. Though, these days, spending hours and hours herbing before I gain any benefit feels as limiting as logging in to find empty racks.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 19 Jan 2011 10:04

You try to make it seem like you have it so hard, but it's a bit like millionaires talking about how hard they have it, when they have to choose between a 3rd yarcht and a 5th Rolls Royce. :)

Personally, I don't think you should be entitled to an edge in the game, because you happen to know how to code scripts.
But since the Admin agrees with you, you have been able to maintain an edge in the past, and will be able to do so in the future as well.

Just sucks for all the other players, who don't know how to code, but then, who cares...they can just shut up and learn how to code, right?
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Johnny
Veteran

Post by Johnny » 19 Jan 2011 10:54

If you are using any version of zmud creating scripts that work smoothly is incredibly easy. No need for complex triggers.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 19 Jan 2011 11:20

Makfly wrote:You try to make it seem like you have it so hard, but it's a bit like millionaires talking about how hard they have it, when they have to choose between a 3rd yarcht and a 5th Rolls Royce. :)

Personally, I don't think you should be entitled to an edge in the game, because you happen to know how to code scripts.
But since the Admin agrees with you, you have been able to maintain an edge in the past, and will be able to do so in the future as well.

Just sucks for all the other players, who don't know how to code, but then, who cares...they can just shut up and learn how to code, right?
And thats my whole point. Making scripts part of the game rather than a luxury for those who can code. Because you cant make it illegal I think. And if you do, where do we draw the line? Which type of triggers and aliases are okay and which are not?

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 19 Jan 2011 11:32

Sorry for the off topic.

Earth, I think you posted a great script for zmud (or at least a part of it).
The script filtered all chat like emotes, says, tells, grates, etc. and displayed it in new zmud window.

In my opinion, it is a must have in script database.
I couldnt find it. Could you post it?

Would be a bless in combat spam.
I had a long break from genesis. Yesterday I got headache trying to catch the team chat in just mild combat spam on Mithas.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 19 Jan 2011 12:09

Sharn: Even if you turn off combat messages?

I have them off (which should be default I think) and colorcode say/grates/yells etc. Works fine for me.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/