Bring back rule against idling

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Booger
Veteran

Re: Bring back rule against idling

Post by Booger » 10 Feb 2011 02:36

Cherek: Thanks for explaining! Didn't know how long the idling-limit was, but I have been kicked out a number of times for idling, due to poor connection.

If I try to get hold of someone who doesn't respond, I'll assume he's idle - I've never trusted this idle-information, mainly because of these triggers. So I've also assumed that people would understand my silence the same way. And even if I change the trigger to kick in only each 15 minutes, anyone unable to handle being ignored would still get upset after 15 minutes, since it would still look like I was checking my screen at least every 15 minutes.

This also means, I assume, that my suggestion of measuring the time since the last two _different_ commands could probably make the idle-time information a lot more correct. For most people, at least. It still wouldn't work if you have an idle-trigger that sends several commands, but that's probably not very common.

Reason for using 30 seconds is, as I stated, that I've been playing a lot with food and weights (eg, with my current constitution I drop one step in stuffed-ness every 2 hours 40 minutes and 41 seconds, and a 280g human heart will keep anyone fed for 93 minutes and 20 seconds). And even if I am afk for a couple of hours, I do enjoy checking what's happened when I get back to my screen, especially seeing if anything interesting has happened on the newbie channel.
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 10 Feb 2011 03:06

Booger wrote:
This also means, I assume, that my suggestion of measuring the time since the last two _different_ commands could probably make the idle-time information a lot more correct. For most people, at least. It still wouldn't work if you have an idle-trigger that sends several commands, but that's probably not very common.

R
Yup, it would probably give a more correct view on who is idle!

Oh right, I did read you had a reason for your 30sec trigger. Sorry.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 10 Feb 2011 23:20

In the end, I think the inclusion of a mark next to people's names will continue to be misleading.
  • The system will misinterpret certain idle-trigger patterns, listing idle players as not idle
  • Players who ask for help will still think certain people are ignoring them, who are merely incorrectly listed
I just don't think this adequately solves the problem you are trying to tackle. I also think we usually have at least a few non-idle helpful people who are available to answer questions.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/