Making domains relevant

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Alexi
Veteran

Making domains relevant

Post by Alexi » 14 Feb 2011 20:06

First let me add that this is coming from a mid-sized Legend who enjoys taking people around and grinding out some combat xp. So that is my 'base-line" for this suggestion.

First I'll list the places that are considered good CXP for the level of difficulty for the reward of Xp.

1. Terel Trolls
2. Qualinosti Elves
3. Mithas Trolls.
4. Faeurn Orcs and Undead.
5. Neraka Trolls
6. Middle Earth Haradrims
7. Terel Goblins
8. Flotsam/PB Centaurs

First while I enjoy these realms, 4 of them are in Krynn, 2 in Terel 1 in Faeurn and 1 in Middle Earth. So 8 realms offer a place for teams of a decent size to go out and adventure. I think its somewhat of a cruel joke that the other realms are left to the dust such as Kabal, Sybarus, Raumdor, Khalakor, or other well code places in those 8 domains (Ribos, Trollshaws, Goblin Caves of Misty Mountains, Moria, Ents, Raumdor's undead forest, Calia Krougs, Drow City in Utterdark) you name it.

I understand one thing at a time, and I understand that we have X amount of people working on a bizillion projects, but couldn't perhaps everything become vialable?

Make a killing grounds in each domain for say

Beginners to Adepts
Adepts to Titans
Champions to Myths

That would increase the usage of dying domains, spread out the populace so people can find new places they enjoy travelling, promote the usage of other domains and perhaps revitalize those domains.

I know Terel Goblins and Ribos for a while had "grow to your size" NPCs and granted there are ways to abuse those types of NPCs, but couldn't that be thought through, and implemented to the whole game? There say I wanted to go and kill in Khalakor for the night, and not be stuck to my usual grinding areas I could?

Creed

Re: Making domains relevant

Post by Creed » 14 Feb 2011 20:42

I think than an increased amount of hunting grounds for champs+, would just lead to even bigger people even faster, and also even more script-killing.

I agree that there should be more places for the mid-sized people, since specially for a good aligned character its very hard to find good places to hunt at hero/titan.. In my eyes, at least.

I think its fine that there is competition for the biggest hunting grounds, which is keeping some people from becomming even more insanely big.

I also think we need some places where its only goodies who come. I find it very annoying to see evil chars the places with evil NPC's, knowing they also have very good hunting grounds that are closed for me, due to my guild.

Of those 8 places you mention, 2 of them are only viable for evils to hunt in. If I kill goodie NPC's, my prestige and whole guild situation will fuck up within 20 or 30 kills, at max, and my situation is ruined.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 14 Feb 2011 21:02

I agree with Creed.

While I also would like to see more domains used, I think we need a bigger population first.

Now there is atleast a little competition for killing grounds, its not much, but its something. And I think we want our small population to bump into eachother sometimes. More nice killing grounds would just mean people chose one each and kill / script-kill there all day without meeting anyone.

Speaking of domains, while not all have anything for all sizes, many have some useful areas.

Kabal still has a few useful ones, especially for expert-hero sized people. (Ogres / giants in the waste, Trading company, etc)

Avenir has useful areas on the Holm for expert-hero as well. Maybe even above that.

Gont is one of the most popular ones for expert-hero of course.

Even Sparkle have useful areas now, atleast for the great atventurer - hero people.

Calia doesnt have anything for bigger people, but is one of the best for smaller people. (Kretans, Satyrs, Krougs)

So I think all domains except perhaps Khalakhor is still visited for combat XP.

Its the newbie areas that still we are lacking the most.... hopefully we are getting one now.

Alexi
Veteran

Post by Alexi » 14 Feb 2011 21:37

Creed wrote:I think than an increased amount of hunting grounds for champs+, would just lead to even bigger people even faster, and also even more script-killing.

I agree that there should be more places for the mid-sized people, since specially for a good aligned character its very hard to find good places to hunt at hero/titan.. In my eyes, at least.

I think its fine that there is competition for the biggest hunting grounds, which is keeping some people from becomming even more insanely big.

I also think we need some places where its only goodies who come. I find it very annoying to see evil chars the places with evil NPC's, knowing they also have very good hunting grounds that are closed for me, due to my guild.

Of those 8 places you mention, 2 of them are only viable for evils to hunt in. If I kill goodie NPC's, my prestige and whole guild situation will fuck up within 20 or 30 kills, at max, and my situation is ruined.
Did you mean 2 of them are only viable for good-aligned people to hunt in, instead of meaning only viable for evils to hunt in? (I'm assuming your good aligned Creed, sorry don't know your character very well).

I do have to remain "evil" when I log out as I have some alignment restrictions also, but its way easier for me to kill Baxter or Calof then it is for you to go to the Barrows and get "more holier".

Neraka, Mithas, Terels, Faeurn and Haradrims, are all places for "goodies" to hunt in. and for Evil aligned characters we get Qualinosti and Centaurs if we really want to keep in "RP". Prime hunting grounds force you to stay competitive by jumping the alignment ship. Perhaps we need an "equal amount" of good vs evil hunting grounds that offer the same difficulty and same experience?

Tive
Rising Hero

Post by Tive » 14 Feb 2011 21:51

Icewall is no good for exp anymore?

Alexi
Veteran

Post by Alexi » 14 Feb 2011 22:37

Tive wrote:Icewall is no good for exp anymore?
I'd rank Icewall with trying to grind at the Ents.
Can you kill them "yes"
Is it worth it and has been changed so much that it feels "anti-player" yes.

To me why code things that become almost "undoable", seems anti-productive.

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 14 Feb 2011 22:39

Icewall's no worse than Mithas damage wise. Nor has it had any anti-player adds to it in over 8 years. If anything the best change to it was when they made the minotaurs stop doing retarded damage to dragonarmy members. And Icewall is the equivalent of elves xp wise its just that to kill an elf it takes less time. However if icewall is done properly it can go by quite quickly and smoothly.

Alexi
Veteran

Post by Alexi » 14 Feb 2011 22:52

Ilrahil wrote:Icewall's no worse than Mithas damage wise. Nor has it had any anti-player adds to it in over 8 years. If anything the best change to it was when they made the minotaurs stop doing retarded damage to dragonarmy members. And Icewall is the equivalent of elves xp wise its just that to kill an elf it takes less time. However if icewall is done properly it can go by quite quickly and smoothly.
Logically if Icewall takes more effort for say the equivilant Qualinosti which can be done more effectively it becomes less relevant to go there. I tried to tank a few Minotaurs the other day and the damage output of them seemed quite a bit more then the Mithas troll (Least that was my experience) as you rarely start out with 5-6 Trolls in a room (granted you can sever up to that)

Creed

Post by Creed » 14 Feb 2011 23:05

What I ment, Alexi, was that I think we have a problem with goodies not being able to hunt certain places, and evils being able to hunt everywhere.

From what I know, there is not a single evil OCC guild that punishes the players for killing evil NPC's.
Im a knight, so I am very much a goodie, and my guild punishes me heavily for slaying a good NPC.

So, your response with suggesting to have equal amount of goodie and evil NPC areas, is totally wrong.
Or, it might not be, if the same heavy rules are forced on evil guilds, as they are on goodaligned guilds.

I want some evil drows to slay, where I as a goodie can grind through some low-con and low-str enemies, just as evils have Qualinost. Whenever I kill something big, it has to be some NPC with more strength and constitution than me, since all evils apparently are big brawny creatures.
But, if such drows were made just like that, they would within a moment have as many evil players coming there, as goodie players.
So, that would just be another place for both to hunt, and not a place where only goodies go. Which was not the intention in my head.

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 14 Feb 2011 23:07

In regards to evil vs good hunting grounds I think its a topic for a different thread. Goodie guilds have way more advantages that make these places easier.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/