Newbie-Line Useage ...

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gorboth
Site Admin

Newbie-Line Useage ...

Post by gorboth » 23 Feb 2011 20:05

Greetings all,

In the past week, I have found myself issuing a surprising number of warnings
to players who have been using the newbie line in a way for which it is not
intended, and must not be used.

Please allow me to remind everyone of the acceptable uses of the newbie line:

- Welcoming new players to the game.

- Inquiring with new players as to how they are doing, and if they
need any help.

- New players asking for help.

- Answering questions asked by new players.

The following are NOT ALLOWED:

- Chatting casually with people. In general, unless a newbie has asked
a question, or you are greeting a newbie, there should not be any
activity on the newbie line at all - ever.

- Players who are *not* newbies asking for help.

- Players coordinating gameplay using this line as a global chat.

Genesis has a firm standard on this type of thing. Back in around 1994-95,
it was decided that chat lines will NEVER exist here. The only way players
can talk over distances is through magic abilities or magic items that give
them these powers. The newbie line breaks this rule, because we have deemed
that the pros outweigh the cons. However, when people abuse the line, the
cons rush to the forefront, and the line begins to ruin the game.

Sorry to sound so uncheerful and "serious" compared to my normal notes, but
this one actually bothers me - a lot. If you abuse the newbie line, you will
be banned from its usage. You have been warned.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Newbie-Line Useage ...

Post by Cherek » 23 Feb 2011 21:27

Gorboth: Can you up the "newbielimit" then? All it takes is for a newbie to tag along with a myth for a couple of hours, and then they are no longer considered newbies by the system. However they still are. I think you should be newbie all the way until you hit veteran. I mean, you can always break it if you feel you're not a newbie. Better to be "safe"?

Other than that, I too think its a bit silly when obvious non-newbies ask questions about quests and such.... But I do understand those who reply. Its hard to ignore anyone asking for help. Its human nature I think.:)

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 23 Feb 2011 21:37

Luckily there is a break pin command so you do not have to worry about recieving ridiculous warnings about abuse when all you did was ANSWERING a question from a newbie. Its a real turn off.

I always had the pin on me, the times the line usage was abused was really rare and often it was chatting among newbies that occured. Give them better info before you send them mails about abuse (since you also CC the newbie this time). I hope he did not get as dissapointed as me.

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 23 Feb 2011 22:51

Pfffft again now.. Old fart passing gass, I dont think its abused that much anyway.. :) normaly when and if people begin to chat, players are good at telling them not to.. all these warnings...*tingle* makes my criminal past light up.. I feeeeeeeeeeeeeeel Baaaaaaaaaaaaaad !! And i like it :-P

On a little side note, donno what you feel, but for us that logs on and not move that much around, its actually nice to see some chatter on the nline, It makes the game feel alive, in a sort of ways, I mean usually my screen moves when my tick goes off, kinda borring, but if you see people talking and asking questions and jibber jabber.. its actually not a bad sign.. I like it.. it makes the game seem less empty..
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 23 Feb 2011 23:10

Alorrana wrote: On a little side note, donno what you feel, but for us that logs on and not move that much around, its actually nice to see some chatter on the nline, It makes the game feel alive, in a sort of ways, I mean usually my screen moves when my tick goes off, kinda borring, but if you see people talking and asking questions and jibber jabber.. its actually not a bad sign.. I like it.. it makes the game seem less empty..
I like it too.

Not saying we should have a chatline though, but I like the chatter as well for the most part.

Thats where my newspaper-idea could help! Make the game feel less empty and more alive was the point of that.

Remember Gorboth? You told me to bother you about it now and then so you dont forget. :)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/