On remembering and combat tactics

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rhaegar
Legend

On remembering and combat tactics

Post by Rhaegar » 27 Feb 2011 07:01

This are two separate things but I've decided not to create unnecessary topics since one part of this is very small really...

1. Would it be possible to get rid of 'memory slots' we have (or set them at some high number) and remove the 'remember' command?
What I'm talking about is automatically remembering every player who introduces himself to you.

Doesn't really change anything besides helping people with no slots left and ones who sometimes forget to remember people.

2. Now for a bigger thingie...
Since we got global block now, would it be possible to also add global rescue and combat tactics?
Rescue at sup lay wouldn't probably be very effective but it would still be something that just 'might work' for people.
Combat tactics could be a global skill that would give players the ability to re-arrange teams during combat, a bit like old mercenary tactics (when they still involved tactics). Team leader having an ability to send people to the front or to the back, effectively switching a tanker. I mean... The code should be there from the old merc guild, it shouldn't be hard to adapt it for a global skill with minor changes.

And before you start crying that Kniggets won't have anything special left to them, think! They're the most powerful combat guild at the moment, with 4 specials (5 if we count kdie, I'm also counting block and rescue at sup guru as a special really), superb skills and what not. Besides, global block didn't ruin them, did it?

The same could also be done for the shield skill (without ability to defend another), but that's for another topic.

I really think something like that could provide a breath of fresh air and give people something to do during combat apart from typing 'kill enemy' and watching text scroll down until the fight is over.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

gorboth
Site Admin

Re: On remembering and combat tactics

Post by gorboth » 27 Feb 2011 23:04

Genesis is based on diversity of guild abilities, so this idea is not in-line with our design goals. We extended block to become a global ability because we hoped it would give people the chance to prevent instant running away all the time in PvP. Abilities other than block that are unique to a single guild will, for the forseeable future, remain unique.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 27 Feb 2011 23:11

But the combat tactics I mentioned? No guild has it right now and I for one would like some actual 'tactics' other than 'I'll use this gear here' being employed by more people than just members of two guilds...
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Booger
Veteran

Post by Booger » 02 Mar 2011 14:14

I'm also annoyed by the small number of people I can remember. Had the same trouble even in ancient days, when being the smartest person around (was before realising that goblins are smartest per default).
If you don't want to remove the whole feature of remembering and the bonus of actually having high int/wis, you could just add a second feature - names you don't remember aren't forgotten as soon as you quit - they are remembered for a certain time (depending on int/wis) after you saw them last. Ie, if you have a span of 2 days, you will forget anyone not remembered after not seeing them for two days, no matter if you/they quit in the meantime or not. Whenever you see them, this timer is reset, so as long as you meet someone regularly, he will be remembered no matter what.
Should work realism-wise too - if you are around someone a lot, you will remember who he is whether you want to or not. Putting someone in your memory slot would then mean putting extra effort into actually remembering someone, even if you never see him/her again.
(maybe not exactly what you wanted, Rhaegar, but still a bit better than now, I think).
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/