Updating existing areas

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Updating existing areas

Post by Cherek » 12 Aug 2010 23:57

velicus wrote:While you're at it, can we have a Genesis 2 where the goal is to remove grinding areas and gain combat experience by defeating unique, challenging opponents?
Thats something I wanted to do when I wizzed. I quit long before coming that far though. I'd love to see it happen! Would be much more fun than the usual grind, and if it is seriously rewarding it might be a serious option to grinding too.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 13 Aug 2010 01:50

Cherek wrote:Sounds great with the newbie area Gorboth. Kinda assumed you had something like that in the works, but Ill keep flaming about it until its added. (And the basic facilites in Sparkle too..:))

As for your list.

Novice: tutorial
Greenhorne: tutorial, Orc fortress
Beginner: Water krougs
Apprentice: Water krougs, Kretans(?)
Wanderer: ?
Adventurer: ?
Adept: Sparkle big orcs, Green Oaks elves
Great Adventurer: Sparkle big orcs, Green Oaks elves
Veteran: Gont, Sparkle big orcs, Krougs
Expert: Gont, Krougs
Rising Hero: Gont
Hero: Gont, Haradrims, Centaurs
Titan: Gont, Faerun, Neraka trolls, Haradrims, Centaurs
Champion: Faerun, Neraka trolls, Haradrims, Centaurs, Mithas, Terel trolls, Ice wall, Qualinost
Legend: Faerun, Neraka trolls, Mithas, Terel trolls, Ice wall, Qualinost
Myth: Mithas, Terel trolls, Ice wall, Qualinost

Thats all I can think of. And those I added for Greenhorne-Apprentice are pretty small areas. Dont know if newbies really go there either?
Actually, it's really hard to make a list without some "ground rules" to start with. Size isn't as important on lower levels as skills for example, and certain guilds will let you grind much better spots than others. I believe we should focus on your generic fighter guild for grinding (this should be the majority of population I think) - that is Mercenaries, with generic gear (Bubba stuff).
Cherek, you listed big orcs in Sparkle/Faerie area as good grinding spots for adept-veteran level players. Well, I'm a veteran, ranger/blademaster and I do have a bit of trouble going there solo (as in, I don't have trouble killing, but I can't do so continuously as this orcs ARE hitting me quite a bit and I need to pause for healing or I'll burn through my mana too fast).
And I don't think apprentice level character can really tackle the Kretans, maybe some sentries but not commanders, priestesses and especially warriors.

Personally, I'd say that the biggest problems are within the wanderer-adept range, there's a pretty serious gap and disparity in what you can tackle then.

From wanderer to adept I think it's best to hunt small orcs in Shire, very good experience and excellent money for this levels. They're evil-aligned though, so it might not be an option for everyone. Also, you clean it up pretty fast, even when you're not very big and without awesome skills/specials so it's not really a "grinding" place.
I'd say that the best grinding spot (for exp, not money) for adept-veteran level characters would be giants in Kalad. Great exp, not much risk, but also no money from that. For nice exp and money there's also the dwarven camp near Haven (but it was changed some time ago so I don't know, I remember I used to grind there as a "big" Cadet back in the days - and since you can't as easily enter Holm now, bicorns and trolobies are out of the question too).
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 13 Aug 2010 07:01

Rhaegar wrote:Personally, I'd say that the biggest problems are within the wanderer-adept range, there's a pretty serious gap and disparity in what you can tackle then.
one word for you: Shire

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 13 Aug 2010 07:03

Kalad got ogres and stone giants further out in the desert, good xp for smaller characters.

These sparkle big orcs, where are those and how many of them are there?

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 13 Aug 2010 07:04

OgreToyBoy wrote:These sparkle big orcs, where are those and how many of them are there?
no cleaning out newbie grind areas for skulls, damn ogre! :twisted:

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 13 Aug 2010 10:03

Rhaegar wrote:For nice exp and money there's also the dwarven camp near Haven (but it was changed some time ago so I don't know, I remember I used to grind there as a "big" Cadet back in the days [...]
The camp is protected by the Neidar Clan I think - worth to consider while grinding there.

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 13 Aug 2010 11:19

The two largest jumps in my eyes as previously stated are wanderer to adept and then from around mid-titan to high champ/low legend.

Those two spots put you on the brink of common xp grounds being to little rewarding, but the areas that you can start going to at the next step still being to challenging. I think it is why you find a lot of players getting stuck for years sometimes at a time at titan/champ. It is at that level that you start getting larger stats, and once you focus on one and get it up there it opens up other areas to go after.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 13 Aug 2010 12:16

Laurel wrote:
Rhaegar wrote:Personally, I'd say that the biggest problems are within the wanderer-adept range, there's a pretty serious gap and disparity in what you can tackle then.
one word for you: Shire
Yeah, great stuff until the darkness arrives and all you hear is: BALE SMASH!!!
And if you're doing the hobbits, then you might find yourself facing a certain hooded white-robed male human (although in this scenario, chances of survival are higher).
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 13 Aug 2010 12:31

haven't seen Bale in a long while ...

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 13 Aug 2010 16:42

No worries, this ogre no run in Darkness and don't give warning either.
Eventually you might catch a glimpse of him as your head is tossed into sack :twisted:

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/