A new take on vampirism/guild

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gorboth
Site Admin

Re: A new take on vampirism/guild

Post by gorboth » 05 Oct 2013 20:10

zar wrote:
Recoba wrote:I am for opening a vampire racial guild.

But how? Well, it depends on what concept of Vampire we'd want to have in the game.

- If they are to be the superpower kind of vampires then it'd have to be occupational with big strengths and drawbacks (as I understand it has been in the past).
- Or if we just want vampire flavor without a lot of powers, then it could be racial. Though a BIG drawback here, in my opinion, is that we deny those players a "real" background racial. Because Vampirism is a disease, not a race, right?
- But if we want a Vampire identity, cool abilities, AND the possiblity to roleplay a secret (or not) vampire within other occupational/racial contexts, then it should be a layman guild. I think that'd be by far the best solution. Actually, I think that would be totally awesome.
Vampire as racial guild is SO COOL.
This is actually a very interesting idea ...

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 06 Oct 2013 03:31

Actually with multislot racials such as ogres once could use that to make a balenced Vampire racial guild even with some super powers. not sure about the ONLY recruiting via player with the population of the game as it is it might go the way of mystics/actors ect... you could have 2 options one a long convoluted quest line where you have to pay homage to a npc vampire to get him to turn you....or a player turning you lets you skip that.

Alexi
Veteran

Post by Alexi » 07 Oct 2013 21:09

Makfly wrote:I agree that the game could benefit from having a close-knit, neutral guild that could form a third-party in the good vs evil struggle.
I presume the Vampire concept could be as good as any for this, since the problems of the past Vamp guilds have been the players, not the concept it self.
Hopefully the Elementalist OCC will be a true neutral party that could make the good vs evil struggle more interesting. Not like the Neidar or Spirit Circle guilds which are neutral game mechanic-wise, but might as well be actual goodie guilds.

Anyways I miss the mystery too, like when we all started out and didn't know much about anything - Thing were new and full of mystery and wonder back then. :-) Still basing a guild on secrecy in Genesis is probably not a good idea, as very few things stays secret for long in this game.

Amberlee wrote:And would even play a character in such a guild given the chance.
If its the Vamp guild, you know you won't be allowed in, unless you're RL buddy with the inner circle ;-)
I really hate seeing someone presume to know what the problem with the vampire guild was and why it was closed, then use the general comment "Must of been the players". The reason the guild was so largely successful in the grand theme of genesis, providing that missing element was mainly due in part to the players who were a part of the guild. You could of taken a bunch of passive players and tossed them in that guild and Genesis would have scoffed at them. Would be like the Morgul Society without all of the players who stalked the black halls of the tower. The guild is a empty shell, the means to play the game, the players are what make the guild.

If you want all the wonder/intrigue/political positioning back, you need to bring back the players who created all that strife.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 07 Oct 2013 21:55

Alexi wrote:I really hate seeing someone presume to know what the problem with the vampire guild was and why it was closed, then use the general comment "Must of been the players". The reason the guild was so largely successful in the grand theme of genesis, providing that missing element was mainly due in part to the players who were a part of the guild. You could of taken a bunch of passive players and tossed them in that guild and Genesis would have scoffed at them. Would be like the Morgul Society without all of the players who stalked the black halls of the tower. The guild is a empty shell, the means to play the game, the players are what make the guild.

If you want all the wonder/intrigue/political positioning back, you need to bring back the players who created all that strife.
So you agree then - It's on the shoulders of the players.
The game can thank the players of the previous Vamp guild(s) for their contributions to the game. Which is my point.
Judging from your words of "largely successful", I think we might disagree on the whether that contribution was positive or negative overall, though.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Alexi
Veteran

Post by Alexi » 07 Oct 2013 22:20

Makfly wrote:
Alexi wrote:I really hate seeing someone presume to know what the problem with the vampire guild was and why it was closed, then use the general comment "Must of been the players". The reason the guild was so largely successful in the grand theme of genesis, providing that missing element was mainly due in part to the players who were a part of the guild. You could of taken a bunch of passive players and tossed them in that guild and Genesis would have scoffed at them. Would be like the Morgul Society without all of the players who stalked the black halls of the tower. The guild is a empty shell, the means to play the game, the players are what make the guild.

So you agree then - It's on the shoulders of the players.
The game can thank the players of the previous Vamp guild(s) for their contributions to the game. Which is my point.
Judging from your words of "largely successful", I think we might disagree on the whether that contribution was positive or negative overall, though.
Ok would you take the current state of the game, or be able to go back in time when Angmar was fighting everyone back in 95-98? Or say when the vampire guild in Terel was in its hayday and there was tons of action, intrigue, political schemeing, player fights? I'm not saying it was all successful, but it definitely was exciting and interesting. The current game now lacks any player interaction, for good or ill or however you wish to side with. The last bastion of political intrigue lies with the Tower and they have nobody opposing them, playerwise or political wise. That makes for a stale game, I love genesis, but without war, excitement, or active players I find it a bit of a bore. I would be willing to bet some real money saying if the Immortals decided to forgive and forget, and reopen the Vampires in Terel and Bloodguards, you'd see the player base rise dramatically (Probably quiet a bit more then our recruitment campagin can bring in) and the game would pick up again. That's just my opinion.
Last edited by Alexi on 07 Oct 2013 22:36, edited 1 time in total.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 07 Oct 2013 22:29

I must agree with Alexi here.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Creed

Post by Creed » 07 Oct 2013 22:36

I am of the mind that once the guilds are all actually balanced.. a more evenful game might be found.

As it is, the players in the underpowered guilds have no need or idea of picking a fight with a guild that has been updated/upgraded. That would be a collective suicide of a whole guild.

And sure, the Vampires and Bloodguards were doing a whole lot.. from many people's perspectives it was a crazily overpowered guild, populated with a bunch of bloodthirsty warmongers who enjoyed nothing more than to pfight.
Did anyone, once or twice, manage to kill a vampire? Or was all the blood on the hands of themselves?

As long as people do not even have the chance of being on a relatively level playing field, the part who has to play uphill will rather postpone the match.

That is how I see things, at least.

Alexi
Veteran

Post by Alexi » 07 Oct 2013 22:42

No, there were some vampire deaths, but the reason it seemed so lopsided is because all vampires ensured our Coven stayed properly prepared for travel knowing there was a big fat target painted on all our backs. From Newly created BG to Old Vampire, we didn't step out of our place of rest without thinking "Today is the day someone comes after me".

That right there is the difference maker.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 07 Oct 2013 23:12

That and a few minor things like invis, specials stacking with speed, ability to split teams, etc. etc.
Of course members like Saya or Freya did their best to spend most of their on-line time either gathering more eq or making war - psychological or manual, still war. People who have actual jobs can hardly compete with the time and "dedication" such "dedicated players" can bring to the table.

Celephias
Expert

Post by Celephias » 07 Oct 2013 23:19

There is something to Alexi's point. When the realms were more dangerous, I didn't think of venturing out unprepared for a full out war and certainly wouldn't do things like idle in unsafe places. Even leaving the keyboard for a short time was a considered move. I still have a lot of those 'reflexes' now, but I'd say that its far more relaxed now than it used to be.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/