Roleplaying

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Celephias
Expert

Re: Roleplaying

Post by Celephias » 03 Dec 2013 18:31

Makfly wrote:
Kiara wrote: [...] Of the 10 biggest people in the game a majority belongs to RP guilds. [...]
There have been and are members of "RP guilds" who does not roleplay much or at all, just as there are consistent roleplayers in "Non-RP guilds".
Therefore I think it'll be best for the community to just do away with these two labels, just as we have, hopefully, gotten rid of "Elite guilds" and "Non-elite guilds" by now.

So there really are no such thing as RP or Non-RP guilds in Genesis. All guilds should provide a player with the thematic background that they can spin their roleplaying from and build on to.
+1

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 03 Dec 2013 22:25

Makfly wrote:
Kiara wrote: [...] Of the 10 biggest people in the game a majority belongs to RP guilds. [...]
There have been and are members of "RP guilds" who does not roleplay much or at all, just as there are consistent roleplayers in "Non-RP guilds".
Therefore I think it'll be best for the community to just do away with these two labels, just as we have, hopefully, gotten rid of "Elite guilds" and "Non-elite guilds" by now.

So there really are no such thing as RP or Non-RP guilds in Genesis. All guilds should provide a player with the thematic background that they can spin their roleplaying from and build on to.

That said we can certainly agree that some guilds are better coded to support the members roleplay, while others are fairly empty shells without much support.
Is there any reason why RP guilds should be more powerful than non-RP?

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 03 Dec 2013 22:45

zar wrote:Is there any reason why RP guilds should be more powerful than non-RP?
Ehm, no. Because there are no "RP guilds" and "Non-RP guilds".
There are just "guilds". All of which should be balanced against each other in terms of power, if you ask me.
All of which should also provide a certain level of background, lore, emotes, thematic connection to the area/realm they exist in. Today some provide more of this than others, unfortunately.

EDIT: Added a missing word.
Last edited by Makfly on 03 Dec 2013 23:40, edited 1 time in total.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Manglor
Rising Hero

Post by Manglor » 03 Dec 2013 23:08

Makfly wrote:
zar wrote:Is there any reason why RP guilds should be more powerful than non-RP?
Ehm, no. Because there are no "RP guilds" and "Non-RP guilds".
There are just "guilds". All of which should be balanced against each other in terms of power, if you ask.
All of which should also provide a certain level of background, lore, emotes, thematic connection to the area/realm they exist in. Today some provide more of this than others, unfortunately.
+1

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 03 Dec 2013 23:52

Just to be clear, I do not support the notion that RP guilds should have more power. I was just asking those telling RPers to suck it up to envision an alternate universe.

Laurel's post on the 4 player types illustrates my feelings a lot, though perhaps not in the way that Laurel is suggesting it should. I do not feel that ultra-rp is necessary across the lands, however there needs to exist more of a balance than exists currently. And I truly believe that requires at least a small effort from everyone - not just "the usual suspects". Saying that someone like myself or Hektor or Kiara or whoever can be a shining example (to paraphrase Gorboth) of RP is well and good - but what happens when those people burn out because so few others try?
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 04 Dec 2013 01:33

I'd say it's possible to have a balance of both. People complaining you can't RP and grind aren't very creative.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 04 Dec 2013 01:42

I initially wrote this reply in another thread, but I didnt wanna hijack it so I moved it here.

One thing we all can do is simply talk about RP more. Like we do now. Usually we talk about more technical aspects of the game here, but rarely do we mention RP. Which is why why all have a clear idea of how balance should be. I mean we talk about it ALL the time. RP? Well not so much.

Now, complain on lack of RP is probably maybe not the best idea, nobody likes that, however if you do it in the right way it might work. And something that works even better is praising those who do a good job.

A very recent example:

Amorana and a few other people called me out as a really poor roleplayer, actually the worst RP ever even! Now this wasnt exactly fun to hear and I was really upset at first, but when I cooled down a little I actually took the feedback about logs and changed my approach. Lately I have gotten some praise for that, a few people have sent me a messages saying they enjoy my more RP-style notes on the board and I immediately felt more encouraged to keep it up.

Ntell is also another example. Even though almost all helpers, including me, have chatted a little too much a few times, almost everyone seem to agree that such talk should be kept to a minimum. While it's not as little as Gorboth may want, I think think most helpers on the chat understands the idea on how to use it. And there is usually always someone who points it out when someone goes a little too OOC.

So.. why not keep it up in your guilds too? If someone starts going way off, perhaps it's not so bad to suggest staying in character more? Especially those who hold council positions could try to make their guild members stick to RP more, but everyone can do it. but I am talking about VERY obvious things here. Not tell people their english isnt good enough or they RPing in the wrong way etc. Thats no fun. I am thinking more in the lines of not teaming with thematic enemies, not talking about OOC stuff unless you really have to, speaking in native language, etc.

So... maybe praising each other on good RP (out of the game) a little more is a good start and something we all can do. And, if we think someone completely falls out of character a little too much in game, friendly pointer might be in place... at least if it's someone you know, and you know he or she will take it the right way.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 04 Dec 2013 10:20

When people say "hard work" and "investment" about their grinding, I find it a bit strange as it often comes from players who seem to enjoy grinding. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Where people that enjoy grinding but hate roleplaying, call roleplaying hard work?
Regardless I think both activities could be called "hard work" or "investments" depending on the view of the person. Both are certainly time spent being logged in to the game.

So anyways lets look at a comparison between the two activities:

HARD WORK A
  • Can not be automated
  • Requires creativity
  • Requires attention
  • Will benefit others - It is a social interaction that creates an experience for and with another player or players
  • Game does not reward this activity
HARD WORK B
  • Can easily be automated via scripts and bots.
  • The majority of experienced players have automated it to one degree or another
  • Requires little to no attention
  • Requires no creativity
  • May benefit others - it can be a social activity, although most of the times it probably isn't.
  • Game provides multiple rewards for this activity (stats, titles, coins and equipment)
Currently HARD WORK B is rewarded greatly by the game, while HARD WORK A is not rewarded by the game.
Should it be differently?
I think it's worth considering, because it is probably not a coincident that roleplaying and social interactions have dwindled in the last years.

For instance - One of the guilds that had a reputation for putting much focus on roleplaying is populated by some of the biggest players in the game, recruit self-professed grinders (Ydred) and have a gnome Nazgul called Fluffy.
Now that is all perfectly okay and I do not mention this to single out just 1 guild, but it is a clear sign that times have changed in Genesis, and not towards an increased focus on roleplaying.
Last edited by Makfly on 05 Dec 2013 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 04 Dec 2013 11:13

When it comes to mm and races, it't more thematically correct now atleast in appearance. There are no more gnome/orc/humans as nazguls now as they are transformed into wraiths. Not perfect, but better approach than before.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 04 Dec 2013 14:01

I mentioned the choice of race also in terms of effects on stats. Again a choice perhaps not founded in roleplaying and what would make thematic sense, but on other criteria.
Never the less its a minor point, and I do agree with you that having all Nazguls be wraiths is a nice improvement over the previous system.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/