More community ideas to promote Genesis

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Makfly
Champion

More community ideas to promote Genesis

Post by Makfly » 30 Jul 2010 04:43

I've spent quite a bit of time now, surfing around trying to find websites/forums/posts about promoting MUDs, trying to find out average MUD player-bases these days, all the while thinking of what Genesis could do to improve it's playerbase ofcourse.

I found that Genesis doesn't seem to be mentioned in that many places, which is strange to me, since Genesis is the original LPMUD after all, and LPC is one of the major MUD foundations (second behind DIKU perhaps?). The places where I did find Genesis mentioned, the information is way outdated and these days directly false.

Genesis really needs to get "out there" and get mentioned, get up on search results, have a website that the game can be proud of with all the information that current-day gamers expect to find, when starting out on a new game.

I know that some of this has been mentioned before, and that the Administration is working on it, in some way or another, but I think the issue should warrant alot more discussion, than the usual PvP-drama that get plenty of activity but does nothing to build a better community for the game.

One question, I'd really, really like to know the answer to is:
What is the status on the website remake, Tapakah?

Also, I posted about this a year ago, but I still think the idea warrants a thorough attempt.
We need to bring back older players, by composing an nice email that highlights all the great things about the game that have been added / changed over the last few years, and make sure we send it out to all the ex-players we, the current players, still keep in touch with, or have the email of.
Anyone that might volunteer to compose such an email?

Additionally, could we add suggestions to where a promotion drive should focus on, as in sites and things to do.
For instance, I think getting a better browser based client would be a HUGE boon for the game, so we can have people play instantly without having to download old telnet clients, and have the game be tied to Facebook, iPhones etc.

The client we have now are workable, but it could be SO much better.
I looked for a better client than the one used on the Genesis site but didn't find one, though a more thorough search is certainly warranted on this important issue.

http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/
The website seems fair slow, but it does have alot of interesting (old) posts, that still holds alot of interesting ideas that Genesis could benefit from.
A post I found particularly interesting from the Topmud sites forums:
As a player, what aspects, features, qualities of a "MUD"(or other online game) encourage you to continue playing, while which other aspects drive you to leave?

As a developer, knowing your limited time-frame, what aspects and features of your game do you try to show-off to the player within the first five minutes? In depth Character Creation? Well written zones? Original Features?
---------------------------------------------------------

As a Player:

Extending Game Time:

* Neat, Organized, Informative Character Creation
* Atleast 1-2 players or immortals online
* Well written room, mob, and object descriptions
* "Easter Eggs", if a room descriptions mentions something in brief, like "tracks through the mud" or something, and a "look tracks" brings up another quality description, I consider that gold.
* Courteous welcome by the staff... not a big thing, but a "Hello *name*, welcome to *MUD Name*, I hope you enjoy your time here and if you have any questions or comments just use the *command name* and send us a message... good luck." Something like that shows the MUD is actively worked on, and that they feel confident enough in their work not to try and babysit you.
* News page, something that has been recently updated with the latest MUD updates.

Shortening Game Time:

* Over Complicated Character Creation, especially in original, semi-original IPs. It's one thing to have a long list of generic classes, (warrior, thief, shaman, necromancer, warlock etc...), where the general skills and perks are common knowledge among fantasy gamers but when there are 40 classes with names like (Dragon Slayer, Air Bender, Corpse Walker, T'sul'Kerak etc...) where I would have to spend an hour or two researching each one, drives me insane.
* Over use of Color
* MUD Flood, too much stuff coming up on the screen at once really hurts my game play experience especially when it's trivial things like "EXP BONUS TIME!!!!!", or "WHO WANTS A COOKIE?!?!?!?".
* Over active Immortals... "Here, I'll teleport you to the mobs you can kill....", "Here have the greatest weapon in the game..."..."Here, *POOF*, now you're level 5 million..."
* "Newbie" Equipment... can't we come up with a more original idea for starting equipment then "a pair of newbie shoes", "a newbie sword."
* Lacking Help-files... It's a given that a MUD isn't going to have a help-file for every help request it gets but there should be a help-file for all of the muds key features like combat, healing, moving etc... or atleast a web address to a web based game manual.
* No direction... drop me into a pac-man game and I'll have no problem figuring out what to do, but in a large interactive world some direction would be nice. Within the first five minutes I should know how to earn some money, strengthen my character, and equip myself at the least.

As a Developer:

With my MUD nearing beta, I've been putting a lot of resources into the first five minutes of game play. The trouble is, the amount achieved within the first 5 minutes is a lot shorter for a "non-mudder", then it is for a seasoned vetern. Thus I'm going with an web-based mud school, so new MUDders can have a second window open to help them along.

With an always available online web tutorial, I feel it will allow me to skip the player ahead to the meat of the game more quickly. Which in my case, is a small quest zone which will hopefully run the player through some of the key features of my MUD, while granting them some experience and some equipment. The "Hook", hopefully, is that there is numerous ways to complete the quest zone, all of which are remembered my various NPCs within the actual world, which is my attempt to showcase the base idea for the MUD, "What you do matters..."
That's my stray-thoughts for now.
Hopefully enough to spark a discussion on how the community might come together and revitalize the game we all love and cherish.
Will add more as I sift through the net and hopefully find useful stuff. :)
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Makfly
Champion

Re: More community ideas to promote Genesis

Post by Makfly » 30 Jul 2010 16:10

Putting down some ideas for a 'sales-pitch' that could be put in the email to ex-players or be used the website.
  • Newly created, extensive 'newbie' experience - helps everyone get their barrings, be they new to MUDs or previously experienced players. There is also a 'helpline', so any questions can be answered directly and quickly in-game by helpful members of the community.

All guilds rebalanced - Every guild in the game has been or is in the process of being rebalanced to a global balance scale.

Webclient usable straight off the Genesis website - No downloads, play directly from your browser.

Quest Orbs - Comprehensive list of all quests in the game, with hints on how to get started on each quest.

Alot of recently added content - Lots and lots of new areas, recode of old areas, quests & items added.

War system for Krynn - The war is raging in Krynn, with a system for conquerable areas as it's turning point.

New forum added with daily discussions from the active community - Visit the forum for help on any question you may have. Link to the forum is on the Genesis website.

Player-created content - A new system allowing for player-created content is being developed so everyone in the community can help build the game.

Week long 'armageddons' (resets once a week), no queues, active community and much, much more.
...Will add more as I think of it, but feel free to contribute if you can think of some things that could be included as well.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 30 Jul 2010 16:18

• The notorious 'Army of Angmar' guild has reemerged! - The army of the Witchking has reformed and reestablished a base near the Misty Mountains. Anyone wishing to serve Sauron and the East can make their way to the Misty Mountains and search for their hideout and join up.
Forgot that one. :)

Tapakah
Wizard

Website update

Post by Tapakah » 31 Jul 2010 20:50

The recode of HTML and hooking up with mudlib is about 70-75% done.

However the graphics are about 25-30% done.

T.
We love self criticism - L. F. Vunyukov, "The Tale of the Troika".

Makfly
Champion

Re: Website update

Post by Makfly » 01 Aug 2010 19:01

tapakah wrote:The recode of HTML and hooking up with mudlib is about 70-75% done.

However the graphics are about 25-30% done.

T.
Unless someone is actively working on all of it, perhaps an idea would be to put out a list of exactly what is needed, so the community can come together and contribute in smaller increments, than having one guy having to say yes to do all of it?

Let's see a WIP site for instance, so people can see the graphical style, the sitemap and such?

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 03 Aug 2010 02:18

That would be nice Makfly. I onced signed up to help with the website graphics but soon realized it was a huge job so I quit even before starting. (Sorry Tapakah).

However, splitting a graphical design into parts isnt an easy thing. You gotta have the main design done I think. Having a number of people with different skill levels working on a design that isnt even designed yet sounds.... like a mess..:P

Showing a WIP to "the public" will no doubt cause ALOT of reactions and opinions. And many people dont realize its a WIP, and whoever did the WIP has ideas and plans that arent in the WIP, people thinks it sucks, pie throwing starts, the one who did the WIPs loses motivation, etc, etc, and off we go...

Showing anyone who isnt "in" on the project a WIP is usually not a good idea. (been there several times).

Having that said, I think the community can help alot, and I know the wizards want help. Question is how to do it so it really is helpful...

But if someone really wanna help with web graphics and have the skills to do it, why not ask/mail Tapakah about it?

Tapakah
Wizard

Post by Tapakah » 06 Aug 2010 10:05

Well,

Where I really need someone to lend a hand is in drawing maps.
We need a new edition of the maps that currently are published on the Website.

If anyone is willing to tackle it, contact me.
The maps MUST be done with AutoRealm (Free GNU software).
I will provide current map files if needed.

T.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 06 Aug 2010 10:39

Well, I can provide a hand-drawn maps, if that would be of any use to anyone, let me know and I'll start working on it.

Or, if it would be possible, if someone made the digital maps, with just rough outlines of where's what (ie: city here, borders here) and I could print it out, fill it by hand with some calligraphy and heraldry etc.

I'm not sure if anyone understands what I'm talking about so I'll try to explain it as simply as I can:
1. The digital skeleton map is created (I guess that the maps are going to be interactive, with zooming and what not).
2. I add the filling with hand-drawings and stuff.
3. Both versions are merged to provide an interactive hand-drawn map.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Tapakah
Wizard

Post by Tapakah » 06 Aug 2010 10:44

We haven't staff to create rich flash interactive maps.

Maximum complexity we can reach is a minimal image-mapping.

We cannot support hand-drawn maps, they are not maintainable.
Why don't you try the AutoRealm software?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/autorealm/files/

It's good.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 06 Aug 2010 10:54

I never said my hand-drawing was stellar :)

I was thinking in terms of black&white/sepia maps. With just enough detail to give it the "mapy feeling". My current field of interest is calligraphy and heraldry, so I would focus more on that ^_^
(I've even started some thinking about creating the coat of arms for major cities in Genesis).
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/