Herbal Wiki on Website?

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should the Official Genesis Webpage include a wiki-list for all herbs?

Yes
51%
No
49%

Total votes: 41

Onton
Wanderer

Re: Herbal Wiki on Website?

Post by Onton » 07 Sep 2010 14:49

tapakah wrote:An ability to remember herbalist's reply makes things indistinguishable from the info appearing on the web site.
Not really. You would need to find the herb in the game, and take it to a herbalist with enough skill to identify it. It would give people something new to do when they had new herbs. You wouldn't suddenly know everything about herbs. It could be explained RP-wise, too, by just saying you take notes.
And, if it was part of Gardeners, it would provide some much-needed improvement for that guild.

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 07 Sep 2010 15:42

What's the fuzz about?
It is a good idea, i support it.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 07 Sep 2010 15:50

Laurel: The list should not include info on where to find the herb nor the name, only info about its description and what it does, and only for those herbs where that is included in the long desc. I dont find that reveal too much at all...

Nobody mentioned telling everywhere every name of every herb and where to find them... so being skilled in herbing (both you and your char) will still be useful. You will still have to gain knowledge of where to find the herbs so the books and maps in all guilds are still useful, and your character will still have use for high herbalism skill since you can search for the name of the particular herb you are looking for.

But thats what I think. Like with maps, I always loved the various map-pages on the web, so I dont have to bother mapping every place. It makes the game a lot more fun to play for me, just like the herb-list I have, that many probably have, also has made the game easier and more fun to me.

But we're all different.

Others, (like Laurel?) probably wanna explore and find this out themselves. I think something inbetween would be great, like maps that give you a rough outline of the domains and places but not the exact rooms is good to have on the official webage. A similar thing should be great with herbs too I think. And yes... why not items too...

I agree Genesis is pretty unique in many ways, but a good webpage with useful information that makes the game easier to play is all good imho. Especially if we are to attract any new players.

I've had my share of disagreements with both Tapakah and Gorboth but here I totally agree with them which gotta count for something! :)

Tapakah
Wizard

Post by Tapakah » 07 Sep 2010 15:51

Onton wrote:
tapakah wrote:An ability to remember herbalist's reply makes things indistinguishable from the info appearing on the web site.
Not really. You would need to find the herb in the game, and take it to a herbalist with enough skill to identify it.
All herb shop owners have enough skill to identify any herb. And a couple of prolonged herbing session gives you all the herbs you can find, one visit to the shop identifies them all. What's the significant difference?
And, if it was part of Gardeners, it would provide some much-needed improvement for that guild.
Yes, definitely, I agree here. But I wonder whether a different bonus is more due.
T.
We love self criticism - L. F. Vunyukov, "The Tale of the Troika".

Tapakah
Wizard

Post by Tapakah » 07 Sep 2010 15:57

Laurel wrote:I wrote:
Laurel wrote:Same can be said about people who launch a macro to compare/sminspect a weapon/armor a gazylion times to accurately place it among other investigated weapons.
and you reply about:
tapakah wrote:As of inspecting and comparing items a gazillion number of times, that method has a couple of fundamental flows that may lead to fatally wrong assumptions. There are publicly available smiths that do classify the swords by their qualities, into five or six levels.
imagine what ... I wrote about just that ...
No. No. I didn't mean smith guild. I meant smiths in some forges that identify the quality of the swords for you. They do not do it randomly,
but their scale is so rough, that it is barely of use for any mid-size and higher player.

The idea has been floating around. There is at least one herbal atlas available online, unofficially.
I accept your disagreements. I try to convince you otherwise, why haven't I the right to? :)

I just have a feeling that you didn't understand what is going to be in the Wiki, so, let me underline once again, that only a table of herb description vs. herb identification by a herbalist in a shop will be present there. From what I am familiar with, even full herb descriptions are sometimes very ambiguous, and the caliber of the effect will remain a total mystery. I don't see how you can find an 'I WIN' herb through herbalist shop, so I don't see how you would find it through Wiki.
We love self criticism - L. F. Vunyukov, "The Tale of the Troika".

Onton
Wanderer

Post by Onton » 07 Sep 2010 16:36

tapakah wrote:All herb shop owners have enough skill to identify any herb. And a couple of prolonged herbing session gives you all the herbs you can find, one visit to the shop identifies them all. What's the significant difference?
Most can't identify everything. I only know one who can identify everything.
And, it would have to be some very prolonged herbing sessions for you to find every herb!

Now, if the two could be linked, and the web page would show you the descriptions only for the herbs your character has researched, that would be great.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 07 Sep 2010 16:42

Onton wrote: And, it would have to be some very prolonged herbing sessions for you to find every herb!
you meant a "shopping" session ...? :twisted:

Onton
Wanderer

Post by Onton » 07 Sep 2010 17:00

Laurel wrote:you meant a "shopping" session ...? :twisted:
Hehe... That would be quicker. But would still need effort (and money) from the player. And no guarantees you'd find every herb for sale, either.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 07 Sep 2010 17:30

cosnidering it's 8pro vs 10 against ... please don't make me the only one to voice it :?

Tive
Rising Hero

Post by Tive » 07 Sep 2010 17:41

Laurel wrote:cosnidering it's 8pro vs 10 against ... please don't make me the only one to voice it :?
Why not? we will let you take all the beating :P

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/