2010 Changes

A place to discuss all the ins and outs of equipment in the Genesis Donut. Warning: Spoilers may be included. Only validated game players will see this forum.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
petros
Site Admin

2010 Changes

Post by petros » 27 Dec 2010 23:34

As 2010 is winding down, I'm reviewing the game mechanics changes that have been made this past year by the Balance Team and the Mudlib Team.

- Global Block
- Changes in unique item distribution over Armageddon
- Changes in the way that items glow throughout Armageddon
- Saving Racks
- Faster Herb Recovery
- Stat Pref grouping into physical and/or mental

For example, I'm curious what the player impact has been since saving racks have been implemented? How has the addition of this to most guild halls impacted your equipment gathering behaviors and game-playing experiences?

There have been many other changes and much more in the pipeline for 2011, but I'd like this thread to stick with just the changes I list above. Feel free to start other threads if you wish for other topics.

Thanks to all the players for a wonderful 2010. It's been an honour to be part of this community of wizards and players. I look forward to a very fruitful 2011. Happy New Year and Happy Holidays everyone.

Ilrahil

Re: 2010 Changes

Post by Ilrahil » 28 Dec 2010 00:36

1) Global Block

Has not been much in the way of playerfights lately, but when it first came out I think a lot of people were eager to test it... Unfortunately the second or two it gives most people isn't enough time to get a kill and people kind of gave up. Still very nice to see in game.

2) Changes in unique item distribution over Armageddon

I've brought this up before... All that changed was the item drop rush was moved from immediately after arma until about 3 days into armageddon. For example as I have pointed out before. Yesterday rolled around, the following things dropped back to back items.

1) Goblin eldar dropped fur robes and obsidian longswords 4 resets in a
row.
2) Death knight dropped three skullplates in a row.
3) Thief in terel dropped 3 pairs of black steel bracers in a row.
4) One round of shadow-elves yielded 3 runed falchions.

Yes I know that with the numbers always changing there are bound to be anomalies but this is a pattern that has repeated itself over and over again since the changes happened. Its not distributed evenly (for that I'm thankful) it just drops later on.

Gear slowly being distributed is frustrating for me because I then feel like all my time is spent gearing for the 5-6 active members of my guild instead of partaking in other things... Fortunately this isn't the case, but the system definitely does not work how I took the explanation to be.

3) Changes in the way that items glow throughout Armageddon

Not a bad idea.. but frustrating. 90% of the gear that drops up until the last 3-4 days of the renewal (which is most of it) is nonsaving. You are then left with only 1-2 sets of gear for an entire guild after the Armageddon, waiting for day 3 to hit when all of the items will begin dropping again.

This also has led to much more recycling of gear, so that you can get items saving a few hours before the Reboot and enjoy them for 12 days again.

4) Saving Racks

One of my favorite changes. Especially given the last armageddon fell on Christmas Eve (fourth year in a row that's happened btw :shock: ) Super nice to not have to coordinate with other guild members or wake up at 3am to grab racks.

5) Faster Herb Recovery

Another wonderful change that allows people to enjoy more time in the game instead of waiting 20 minutes for the spam to leave. Way to go!

6) Stat Pref grouping into physical and/or mental

From what I've been told this is a great change. I personally have not utilized it but more options are always a good thing!

Johnny
Veteran

Post by Johnny » 29 Dec 2010 06:40

I never paid much attention to when items dropped but thank you Ilrahil for educating me. As for everything else, the changes were quite good. The saving racks and herb recovery were definately my favorite. Good work!

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 29 Dec 2011 01:13

Surprised this didn't get more comments.

I just noticed this thread for the first time and am mulling it over.
The spirit behind the changes is fantastic however!

Will you be doing a similar review for 2011?

Is there anyway we can roll these up into a timeline or "so what did I miss" section of the forum?

People take breaks, and its hard to dig and find out everything that went on when you were away.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 29 Dec 2011 01:35

Thanks Tarax! No real way to discover "what you missed", unfortunately. We'll see about pulling something together for 2011.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/