Cost of leaving guilds

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Lindros

Cost of leaving guilds

Post by Lindros » 13 Feb 2011 20:07

So what I am curious about here, how come some guilds are cost free to leave while others require a death?

Sure you might argue that in some cases its roleplay that you can bribe yourself out etc, I do however think this is a huge perk and should most definatly be something the guild should be taxed for.

While it might be good roleplay in some cases, there are other cases where I think a huge penalty for leaving is just a bad for game morale, for starters leaving a layman guild should cost 1/3 of what leaving an occupational guild, if that even!

There's a couple of occ and lay guilds out there that are completely free to leave/rejoin, and it seems to me a big reason behind who gets to leave for free or not, is who the wizard
who coded the guild is, some guilds get the free leaving without much discussion, then you have other guilds that gets to take a full death.

I for one think that you should be able to retire out of a guild(maybe leaving you unable to join a occ or layman guild for said amount of time afterwards), instead of how it is now where people are unhappy and just stop playing because of it.

And yes I know alot of people do not see this as a problem at all, but I disagree, I know of a handful of players who feel that while they are still intrested in the game, they feel stuck in their current guilds, but they do not want to leave the guild and take a huge hit statwise, so instead they fade away and dont play.

Personally I do not think we can afford this and I think we should re-consider lowering the penalty for leaving guilds.

Also lowering the penalty for PVP related deaths.

1/3 of what it costs today sounds like a reasonable amount of loss, its too high today, where people avoid PVP completely and rather stay in in a boring guild instead of losing their hard earned stats!

Well enough blabbering from me, anyone else have similar experiences or are all my Gen friends just whiners/quitters :)?

Creed

Re: Cost of leaving guilds

Post by Creed » 14 Feb 2011 01:55

Well.. You don't lose your hard-earned stats anymore.
The recovery system made sure of that.

I personally do not think that every guild out there should be join/leave for free, and I cannot see the problem in gods, guards or whatever else, punishing those who betray the cause.
A better way would be to make a system where people can be honorably discharged from service, either by a council or by a 60-70% majority vote of active members in the span of a week or whatever.

It would of course be a bit difficult some times, if a council or all members think they are about to lose their biggest and "best whatever" member, and therefore don't want to discharge him/her, in the hope that the person stays.

But there will be that kind of risk, every time you involve other people.
You can just hope that people are roleplayers enough to do the right thing.

Lindros

Post by Lindros » 14 Feb 2011 02:02

Well there's one thing about having to recover as a rising hero/hero, a completely diffrent one at legend/myth size.

Having to recover 300-700 progress levels just for the sake of leaving a layman guild seems a bit much to me. Unless you dance the robotic dance all day, that means 3-4 months of grinding just to get back to square one.

I do agree however, it should require council/guild leader approval, that way it will not be abused.

I just think that sure penalties are there for a reason, but at the same time they should not make people rather stop playing than having to recover 3-4 months.

Same goes for PVP deaths it should be encouraged to PVP, not like it is today where any little scirmish gets reported to the Admin and you end up having to defend any move you make.

Back in the old days, I remember raiding VK with a huge team, I wimpy out and get slayed, first thing I do is run back to Angmar, pick up a club and run back to get revenge.

Today if someone gets killed, you'll see their goodbye note on the forums or guild board, or not a word and people see them months later still in a ghostly form.

I just think that we need to change things up that prevent people from getting back to playing after a setback of a death/guild change.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 14 Feb 2011 02:46

I agree with Creed. The general penalty should stay I think, but that discharge/retirement sounds like a good idea. Even the most harsh evil guilds could reward someone for long service in their name by letting them escape death.

Allthough I am not sure if it thematically works in all guilds though. I mean, I think some guilds should have the death penalty no matter what. Like Morgul Mages, or Priests of Takhisis for instance. Its kinda their theme. But most of the rest? I think a retirement is a good idea.

It does not have to be by council either, just time spent in the guild should be enough to qualify I think.

Oh I also agree with the lower death penalty for PVP of course.
Last edited by Cherek on 14 Feb 2011 03:23, edited 2 times in total.

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 14 Feb 2011 03:17

I'd like to see honorable discharge used in the dragonarmies. I feel that it goes well with the guild. For someone that has spent a certain amount of time in the guild, I as the general could honorably discharge them if they began to lose interest.

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 14 Feb 2011 03:26

Armies should have the discharge ability to its members, Gladiators should be able to retire to freedome say if they have fought 100 arena fights and won say 90.. Neidars should just jump off a cliff when retiring.. hehe.. no but a serious retirement system should be in coded in the guilds.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Celephias
Expert

Post by Celephias » 14 Feb 2011 04:15

Part of me wonders where the whole cost of leaving idea came from anyway.

The only reason I could see it existing from a game perspective is to limit guild whoring (where players could run from guild to guild). On the other hand, maybe its because the Wiz who coded it felt that it was thematic to make it costly to leave. Does anyone know from a historical perspective where this came from?

I would say that if you could get out of a guild for no cost, wouldn't you use it as long as you could, grow in size, and then leave (or retire or get discharged etc)? Would this be a bad thing?

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 14 Feb 2011 04:21

I think in some guilds it feels thematically right to have death as penalty.

But the idea to lose combat experience from leaving... I guess the logic behond it you have gained experience using the guild abilities and you lose part of it when you leave?

I always assumed it was to stop people from guild-hopping too much though. Allthough a time limit before an honourable discharge would also work just as well. Or when you reach a certain title. Or the ability to buy yourself free as a gladiator or merc works very nice both thematically and technically. I think its costly enough to keep most people from guild-hopping, but still pretty doable and much preferable to an experience penalty.

But I am generally against our harsh XP penalties as I think it almost only cause negative emotions.

Johnny
Veteran

Post by Johnny » 14 Feb 2011 06:45

I believe it keeps players from jumping guilds all the time and assists in the maintain of a person's role play. Think Dragonarmy soldier, to knight, knight to mage, mage to ranger, ranger to ogre, ogre to priest, priest to calian, calian to gladiator, and so on. The person would have to be bipolar or something but then again once I say that it does seem reasonable... curses, shoots down that idea.

Creed

Post by Creed » 14 Feb 2011 10:58

The guildhopping theory only works if you take away the general populations disrespect for such actions, and the fact that most guilds have apprentice periods.

A lot of guilds will not welcome or believe a person will stay long enough, if that person has been in 5 other guilds within the last 8 months. And therefore they will probably turn him down, since it takes time and effort to teach new members their role.

I agree with Cherek in the idea that you need to have served for a certain amount of time, to be able to qualify for such a discharge. It should be played time, though, and not just 2 years in the guild, where you didn't play for more than a week in total.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/