Death Penalty Opinions

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should the game return to having some kind of exp-penalty when a character dies?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 54

Kas
Legend

Re: Death Penalty Opinions

Post by Kas » 22 Dec 2013 18:27

Kiara wrote:
Manglor wrote:
Kas wrote:Alternatively, let death recovery be on a constant brute until recovered, that should eliminate the need of a third option. Recovering as a tiny player with extr. pas is quite fun since you see the fantas flying in an alarming speed. For me, it's kind of fun to take a dirtnap and recover when I see rapid progress towards a designated goal.

What if at recovery, you had a constant brute of, let's say meek?
Zhar wrote:I still support my previous opinion that there should be death penalty but it shouldn't ever drop you below exp required to enter your last mortal level (once a myth = forever a myth). This way there would still be a penalty for dying but you couldn't abuse it to farm guildstat and other things as easily.

Either one of these works very well. Nice idea guys.
I like both of these ideas too. And my own idea of course.:)

One question for Kas: What if you die when you're recovering? Still meek? Or you become even less brutal?
Still meek, but unable to drop below your current mortal level? A hybrid solution!
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 22 Dec 2013 19:14

Kas: Sounds good to me!

Ydred: Yeah... the downside of not being able to "die down" is the switch guilds and guild XP thing... personally I always thought guild XP should work independently of brute and size, so you can switch guilds and gain guild XP at the same rate no matter if you die down to veteran or stay at your current level. But on the other hand I never enjoyed grinding so... if you say you think it's fun to die down and grind up, thats how you feel. I dont like it at all, but on the other hand I like quests which not that many do so... we all enjoy different aspects of the game.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 22 Dec 2013 20:10

ydred wrote:Myth forever ... and if you switch guilds ....

Keep death recovery active for those who enjoy dying and regrowing. I know some who love to switch guilds and die down and grind back up only to switch again and again.
I believe that the sheer advantage you get from high stats is enough of a bonus when switching guilds. Myths can go through mobs at crazy pace, racking xp easier than small players.

I don't think that the ability to die down and abuse recovery to get insane guildstat boost is something that should be enouraged (or even present in the game). Most games won't even let you change your class or race, I think that having this option is nice but it shouldn't necessarily be that easy of a an ordeal (I mean, switching up should be easy, but it shouldn't be easy to get to the point where new member is overtaking members who have been in the guild for years in a matter of days). Gotta work on this status and respect you know, and leave some form of gratification for people who gave their life for their guild, even though they might not be the most active or biggest players around.

I guess the guildstat system could be revamped to depend on the combination of xp and time spent in the guild. It would be fair for everyone since you can't get up the ranks in a breeze and you can't do it if you're inactive either (you either lack xp or membership-time) and only truly dedicated people would be able to reach the highest ranks (spent a long time in the guild while being active).
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 22 Dec 2013 20:18

Zhar wrote:

Keep death recovery active for those who enjoy dying and regrowing. I know some who love to switch guilds and die down and grind back up only to switch again and again.
I believe that the sheer advantage you get from high stats is enough of a bonus when switching guilds. Myths can go through mobs at crazy pace, racking xp easier than small players.

I don't think that the ability to die down and abuse recovery to get insane guildstat boost is something that should be enouraged (or even present in the game). Most games won't even let you change your class or race, I think that having this option is nice but it shouldn't necessarily be that easy of a an ordeal (I mean, switching up should be easy, but it shouldn't be easy to get to the point where new member is overtaking members who have been in the guild for years in a matter of days). Gotta work on this status and respect you know, and leave some form of gratification for people who gave their life for their guild, even though they might not be the most active or biggest players around.
A potential issue with not allowing people do a "full respec" is, they are far better of doing a full reroll rather than quit with the main character and join guild x, else they will never reach the full potential and therefore be permanently crippled(severly).

for example, if a heavy melee-oriented goblin deep in myth drops out and joins a casterguild, he would quickly realize it won't work without a real respec. Now, "full respec" is possible due to the new feature in Sparkle adventure guild, and the old way was to kill yourself 20 times to the giants in sparkle, and I would like to see this feature being expanded to full redistribution of the xp of the stats without actually loosing any xp.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 22 Dec 2013 20:23

Kas wrote:
Zhar wrote:

A potential issue with not allowing people do a "full respec" is, they are far better of doing a full reroll rather than quit with the main character and join guild x, else they will never reach the full potential and therefore be permanently crippled(severly).

for example, if a heavy melee-oriented goblin deep in myth drops out and joins a casterguild, he would quickly realize it won't work without a real respec. Now, "full respec" is possible due to the new feature in Sparkle adventure guild, and the old way was to kill yourself 20 times to the giants in sparkle, and would like to see this feature being expanded to full redistribution of the xp of your stats without actually loosing any xp as an option.
Of course this is a deeper problem than just people guild-hopping etc. It is a multi-faceted issue that has to be looked at from many angles.

Although my personal opinion is that easy access to a "full respec" and guild-hopping only leads to bandwagoning and is actually detrimental to the game. I've always considered Genesis to be a place built more for roleplay than powergaming, but it seems that over the years it has transformed into the latter while most features were implemented for the former, thus leading to all the discrepancies and issues we're currently having.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 22 Dec 2013 20:27

Kas wrote:
Zhar wrote:

for example, if a heavy melee-oriented goblin deep in myth drops out and joins a casterguild, he would quickly realize it won't work without a real respec. Now, "full respec" is possible due to the new feature in Sparkle adventure guild, and the old way was to kill yourself 20 times to the giants in sparkle, and I would like to see this feature being expanded to full redistribution of the xp of the stats without actually loosing any xp.
Let them choose to loose half or all of their combat xp but without any recovery. Just pure loss of xp. That way they get the chance to change their stats but they still have to work on getting the xp back.
It shouldn't be easy to raise fast in a guild.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 22 Dec 2013 20:29

I would love to see the guild solving this problem in a thematic way. Like, some functionalities the guild can employ on the candidate that "respecs" him under a rp/thematic event wrapper.

I would love some brutal but thematic solution at the throneroom of Minas Morgul during an rp event, to support the wrecking and transformation of a candidate/apprentice. Two birds with a stone etc. :)

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 22 Dec 2013 20:36

Progressing fast due to low brute may be an issue in some guilds though, but if you go from melee to caster, that's usually not a problem.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 22 Dec 2013 21:01

Kas wrote:Progressing fast due to low brute may be an issue in some guilds though, but if you go from melee to caster, that's usually not a problem.
Actually, I think that guildstat is far more important for casters than melee. At least it used to be so in the past, I don't know how it is now. I remember that in the olden days it was a part of the caster balance, that they weren't able to get xp (thus grow stats and get guildstat) as fast as melee characters but they got tons of ways for "artificial" rank progression. This way you could be relatively small in terms of mortal level/stats but have decent enough guildstat for your spells to be effective.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 22 Dec 2013 21:09

Zhar wrote:
Kas wrote:Progressing fast due to low brute may be an issue in some guilds though, but if you go from melee to caster, that's usually not a problem.
Actually, I think that guildstat is far more important for casters than melee. At least it used to be so in the past, I don't know how it is now. I remember that in the olden days it was a part of the caster balance, that they weren't able to get xp (thus grow stats and get guildstat) as fast as melee characters but they got tons of ways for "artificial" rank progression. This way you could be relatively small in terms of mortal level/stats but have decent enough guildstat for your spells to be effective.
It was pre-recode, but no longer. Hence, now the critical importance of respeccing.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/