Death Penalty Opinions

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should the game return to having some kind of exp-penalty when a character dies?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 54

Manglor
Rising Hero

Re: Death Penalty Opinions

Post by Manglor » 23 Dec 2013 00:49

Zhar wrote:
Kas wrote:Progressing fast due to low brute may be an issue in some guilds though, but if you go from melee to caster, that's usually not a problem.
Actually, I think that guildstat is far more important for casters than melee. At least it used to be so in the past, I don't know how it is now. I remember that in the olden days it was a part of the caster balance, that they weren't able to get xp (thus grow stats and get guildstat) as fast as melee characters but they got tons of ways for "artificial" rank progression. This way you could be relatively small in terms of mortal level/stats but have decent enough guildstat for your spells to be effective.
Gone the way of the dodo bird with the new magic system.

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 23 Dec 2013 03:46

ydred wrote:Myth forever ... and if you switch guilds ....

I prefer it somewhat as it is with a reduced death penalty. I would say about 10 fans.

Keep death recovery active for those who enjoy dying and regrowing. I know some who love to switch guilds and die down and grind back up only to switch again and again.

As for super myths that is simple, have recovery stop working past some modest level past myth .... perhaps what is considered mid myth (I wont put numbers up since it will just get deleted). If you die while bigger than this 'size' you can grow back up to this 'size' easily ... but beyond that ... will be hard.
That could easily be remedied without making death a PITA like it was before the holiday. If there was an NPC in Sparkle that let you die X number of times, you could still kill yourself as much as you wanted if you find that fun. However, just because you find that fun, it doesn't mean everyone should be subjected to it.

I like both Zhar and Kas's ideas. I also like Kiara's. Basically, I'm of the opinion that death should have some sting, but the sting shouldn't be like it is now. I like to think about games I have fun PVPing in - like WoW. If I die there, I lose whatever mob I'm trying to kill to the guy who ganks me. I have to run back to my corpse (which sometimes is frustrating, depending on the zone) and depending on how I die, it costs me a few gold. If he kills me repeatedly, it's a nuisance, but I can still enjoy the game.

If I die under the old Genesis system - I can kiss whatever stat level I had gotten myself goodbye for a few weeks until I'm done recovering at my slow and steady XP rate. I don't typically have 2-3 "bigguns" to lead me through Terel Trolls to gain my stats back quick, so for me, even at reduced brute, the xp penalty sucks. I in fact DID stop playing characters back when there was no reduced XP. I had more fun starting an alt than recovering from a death.

I think either a penalty where you have a very low brute constantly until you've gotten your xp back (which would make the whole thing doable in a couple of days even for a player who doesn't run Terel Trolls) or a penalty by which you at least retain the minimum xp of your mortal level (which also helps to eliminate what I consider pretty piss-poor playing such as waiting until after the death holiday to kill someone) would help make dying to pvp (or even PVE for that matter) more of a nuisance and less of a reason to stop playing the game.

I also won't vote in the poll - yes and no is too black and white. There should be an option for "Yes, but much different than it used to be."
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Celephias
Expert

Post by Celephias » 23 Dec 2013 04:42

I like the idea of ramifications for actions taken. The old death system definitely had that. I died as a huge myth and recovery took a very long time. Really makes you think about what you're about to do. I once played a mud where once you died, you were truly dead - spin up a new char. That also makes you think ;-)

Its a difficult balance. You want people active, playing, interacting and in conflict. Penalties that are too steep inhibit that. Penalties that are too soft slant it the other way. Once people know they can't truly be hurt, they act more out of character.

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 23 Dec 2013 07:32

Celephias wrote:I like the idea of ramifications for actions taken. The old death system definitely had that. I died as a huge myth and recovery took a very long time. Really makes you think about what you're about to do. I once played a mud where once you died, you were truly dead - spin up a new char. That also makes you think ;-)

Its a difficult balance. You want people active, playing, interacting and in conflict. Penalties that are too steep inhibit that. Penalties that are too soft slant it the other way. Once people know they can't truly be hurt, they act more out of character.
I disagree entirely. What is the point of acting in character when touching a myth's robes can get you nuked as a hero? Why would I ever say to Celephias that I could grant him absolution if with the bat of an eye I could die? Harsh penalties on death actually work to inhibit the type of RP that is most beneficial to the game.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 23 Dec 2013 12:36

I think a death penalty is a dial that can used to try and eliminate the problem of huge size-differences, that we have now.
I also agree that the penalty shouldn't be too hard, because that could make people stop playing after they die. On the other hand, I think there need to be some penalty, even if it just a sting of pride of having your defeat publicly displayed in Sparkle, and have you stats decreased temporarily so you cannot "res & zerg" who defeated you.

I don't have an ideal solution this. I actually like the suggestion of staying at your mortal level no matter what, if it wasn't for the fact that we have a size-issue in Genesis.
Now if we could separate contribution from stats in PvE and PvP, then we would have the option of creating something like the above suggestion, and still start to create a more level playing field in PvP.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 23 Dec 2013 14:33

Makfly wrote: Now if we could separate contribution from stats in PvE and PvP, then we would have the option of creating something like the above suggestion, and still start to create a more level playing field in PvP.
And how would you do that? Let's take for example an AoE spell or special that's being cast/launched in the room with both NPCs and players in it. Instead of counting the damage output once, we now have to do it separately for each traget, checking if its PC or NPC... It's quite a bit of work, you know.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Creed

Post by Creed » 23 Dec 2013 14:46

I don't think the recovey should apply anymore, once you pass legend.
That way, with enough fighting, characters will end up being smaller, fitting the realm.
We have all become too big, and that would take some of the stress away for newcomers.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 23 Dec 2013 15:33

Creed wrote:I don't think the recovey should apply anymore, once you pass legend.
That way, with enough fighting, characters will end up being smaller, fitting the realm.
We have all become too big, and that would take some of the stress away for newcomers.

Now thats a good suggestion

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 23 Dec 2013 16:12

Creed wrote:I don't think the recovey should apply anymore, once you pass legend.
So big players will get even more frustrated b death than they are now

Ydred
Veteran

Post by Ydred » 23 Dec 2013 16:29

Creed said < ... >

Mostly what I said ... except a smaller mortal size ... I picked mid myth. I personally think if you pick to low you will lose players.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/