Draugor on Wizard Bias

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Draugor
Myth

Restart Genesis with more or less open source code

Post by Draugor » 20 Mar 2014 16:00

Tbh the wizards would probably get alot of people back if the favoritism bullshit stopped, they started to actually listen and PROPERLY explain stuff to players and not go "Oh I'm sorry but my code is uber mega complex and even tho it doesent work properly it still does" and perhaps take others than the guilds they are working on into account since they are the ones that will have to put up with the mistakes.

Lets make genesis more like a democracy and less like North korea :P And no, I dont care if anyone is insulted, its the damn truth

Kas
Legend

Re: Restart Genesis with more or less open source code

Post by Kas » 20 Mar 2014 16:10

Draugor wrote:Tbh the wizards would probably get alot of people back if the favoritism bullshit stopped, they started to actually listen and PROPERLY explain stuff to players and not go "Oh I'm sorry but my code is uber mega complex and even tho it doesent work properly it still does" and perhaps take others than the guilds they are working on into account since they are the ones that will have to put up with the mistakes.

Lets make genesis more like a democracy and less like North korea :P And no, I dont care if anyone is insulted, its the damn truth
What favoritism? Elaborate please.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 20 Mar 2014 16:57

Kas wrote:
Draugor wrote:Tbh the wizards would probably get alot of people back if the favoritism bullshit stopped, they started to actually listen and PROPERLY explain stuff to players and not go "Oh I'm sorry but my code is uber mega complex and even tho it doesent work properly it still does" and perhaps take others than the guilds they are working on into account since they are the ones that will have to put up with the mistakes.

Guilds to start off with, and no, not just the morguls, Genesis has had a history of this crap for ages, weapons coded specifically for guilds, against guilds suspiciously close to guilds that use them and with incredible powers etc etc, some recodes working alot better than others and this powerwise, tbh knights got the short end of their recode, BDA and morguls got a looooooooooooong end :P Some players beeing punished for an offense and some players beeing let of for exactly the same offense and repetedly at that. And before you start asking for specifics or examples, you know better than that, the North Korean goverment will go nuts and remove the post in 2 secs flat

Moderator's note (Petros): Comparisons to North Korea are distasteful. I could care less if you insult me or the rest of the Admin. But to compare what happens in a game to the atrocities there is extremely offensive to those who know people or have personally lived through those tragedies. Find another way to make your point.

gorboth
Site Admin

Draugor on Wizard Bias

Post by gorboth » 20 Mar 2014 19:26

Split this topic here from a very different one in the Suggestions thread.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

petros
Site Admin

Re: Draugor on Wizard Bias

Post by petros » 20 Mar 2014 22:09

Here's a harrowing view on what North Korea is like. The journalist author, Barbara Demick, is the bureau chief of the Los Angeles Times in Beijing.

http://www.amazon.com/Nothing-Envy-Ordi ... 0385523912

Reading about the six "ordinary" lives that she follows is enough to make a grown man cry.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 20 Mar 2014 22:49

Yea, on Petros and his attempt of hijacking, I could have compared you guys to any cencoring corrupt kommunist country so I chose the worst one.

Still, adress the points I brought up on gear, incredibly unfair recodes and why some people get punished way way harder for offenses that others commit aswell but barely get a wristslap for. Punishments depend on the mood of the wizard at the time he gets the report or do we have some sort of scale on whom to punish how? :P

You guys need to start realising that you've murdered the game mainly from not listening to players but insane following some insane and from what we lowly mortals can see, incredibly murky plan, but I suppose 20 players online is part of that?

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 20 Mar 2014 23:05

I believe the plan was to have the game played by wiz-alts and their friends only, with the casual kid. No adults and surely not those who can think idependently! No sir, can't has that here!

Jhael
Adept

Post by Jhael » 21 Mar 2014 00:25

Draugor wrote:
Kas wrote:

Guilds to start off with, and no, not just the morguls, Genesis has had a history of this crap for ages, weapons coded specifically for guilds, against guilds suspiciously close to guilds that use them and with incredible powers etc etc, some recodes working alot better than others and this powerwise, tbh knights got the short end of their recode, BDA and morguls got a looooooooooooong end :P Some players beeing punished for an offense and some players beeing let of for exactly the same offense and repetedly at that. And before you start asking for specifics or examples, you know better than that, the North Korean goverment will go nuts and remove the post in 2 secs flat

Moderator's note (Petros): Comparisons to North Korea are distasteful. I could care less if you insult me or the rest of the Admin. But to compare what happens in a game to the atrocities there is extremely offensive to those who know people or have personally lived through those tragedies. Find another way to make your point.
I don't know enough about all guilds that have been recoded to comment extensively on who got what end of what size stick. But I do want to make mention of the possibility that it has less to do with bias and more to do with creativity and skill. This is not meant as a jab at anyone, but merely as a fact of life.

For example, I am a software developer by trade. I am hardly creative; I'm not typically the one to come up with creative solutions. However if I am handed a well defined task, I will not only complete the task in record time, the code will be rock solid and 95% bug free. Within the defined solution, I find that I am able to be creative in that I can find slick/creative ways to accomplish my end goal or add useful functionality. To put this in perspective of Genesis: If Gorboth were to hand me a guild and say "Recode this please," I would spin my wheels endlessly. However, if Gorboth were to hand me notes on what he wanted the recode to look like, with at least mostly formed ideas on key concepts I could likely knock that out fairly quickly with a high degree of success. I make this example for this reason: I assume that wizards are assigned (or take on) a guild with the direction of "Recode this please," not with a prescription of what the thing should look like. Giving people the benefit of the doubt, it seems reasonable that the scope of the project is too grand to properly manage on a personal level which results in some things not going as well. An person with good management skills can break the project into smaller chunks for themself, but a less experienced person might get overwhelmed. It's just a possibility, that's all.

On the weapons for guilds topic, I'm not sure how this is a complaint. It seems natural that a weapon or equipment in general would be created to support a certain guilds playstyle. When guilds are added (or recoded), the mere addition of the changes will alter the landscape of Genesis as a game. Things must be added/changed to accommodate for this alteration. It's game development plain and simple. You can't just add a sniper class into an FPS without providing a sniper weapon for them to utilize.

Player punishment, I'm certain, is a more complicated matter than you suggest in this post. Granted, even I can think of a specific example where I was miffed that the admin did not punish a player for an offense (knowing that previous players have been punished). Still, I think this comes down to wizards not being great at explaining themselves. There is a lot of secrecy surrounding wizhood that I think is unnecessary and actually provides an environment for confusion. It's been mentioned before that players would appreciate more status updates from wizards on guild recodes, perhaps a similar approach could be useful with player punishments. On guild recode status, no one wants to know exact details, we just want to know where it stands. On punishments I suggest something similar, don't provide exact details (such would give opportunity for abuse) but provide some rational where appropriate.

Finally, I have to agree with Petros on his addition to your post. Emotions being what they are, I understand the anger, but it doesn't make the comparison any less distasteful. Comparing the "murdering" of a game to the very real murdering of people is extremely poor taste. Your point can be made plenty of ways without casually dismissing real tragedy.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 21 Mar 2014 01:24

Discussions like this always remind me of one of the cardinal rules on another site I visit:
This is our house and you are our guests. We will do everything in our power to treat everyone with respect and accommodate everyone's wishes, but this is a private site, so when you're here, you abide by our rules. We're not obligated to observe anyone's notions of free speech or fairness, but we will try to.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 21 Mar 2014 15:27

Jhael wrote: On the weapons for guilds topic, I'm not sure how this is a complaint. It seems natural that a weapon or equipment in general would be created to support a certain guilds playstyle. When guilds are added (or recoded), the mere addition of the changes will alter the landscape of Genesis as a game. Things must be added/changed to accommodate for this alteration. It's game development plain and simple. You can't just add a sniper class into an FPS without providing a sniper weapon for them to utilize.

The complaint beeing that some guilds are "gifted" with awesome gear right at their doorstep (usually wielded by wuss NPCs), whilst some guilds has to run across half the realm to get some decent stuff. Also coding stuff specifically for some guilds and no for others? In what way is that fair? Not that genesis has been or probably ever will be

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/