Guild Activity Discussion

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Arcon

Re: Ulric, Knight of the Black Rose

Post by Arcon » 02 Feb 2016 07:39

Arman, I was not talking about only kender. I believe that making things easier will make things worse. Quantity of members is not a way to judge a guild but on the quality.

Kenders needs some changes, they make less damage than a layman guild, they tank worse than one as well. There is a hard coded excuse for anyone to attack them on sight, which was heavily used by PoT/DAs to chase away kender players, and now they can't even sneak away from battle. In short, anyone has an excuse to attack them and they can't fight back or even get away.
I do believe that the entrance quest could be enough to join for a month as a trial period? You can train but not use racks nor see the board. Other members can put up a vote to have to kicked out if they feel that you are not a good kender. And of course anyone that has been killing kenders in Kendermore should not be allowed to join.
You mentioned minotaurs having no requirements to joining and I ask you, how many people join minotaur because they want to play minotaur and how many join to get a unarmed special and to be able to sail the bloodsea without joining mariners?

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 02 Feb 2016 08:38

Arcon wrote:Arman, I was not talking about only kender. I believe that making things easier will make things worse. Quantity of members is not a way to judge a guild but on the quality.

Kenders needs some changes, they make less damage than a layman guild, they tank worse than one as well. There is a hard coded excuse for anyone to attack them on sight, which was heavily used by PoT/DAs to chase away kender players, and now they can't even sneak away from battle. In short, anyone has an excuse to attack them and they can't fight back or even get away.
I do believe that the entrance quest could be enough to join for a month as a trial period? You can train but not use racks nor see the board. Other members can put up a vote to have to kicked out if they feel that you are not a good kender. And of course anyone that has been killing kenders in Kendermore should not be allowed to join.
You mentioned minotaurs having no requirements to joining and I ask you, how many people join minotaur because they want to play minotaur and how many join to get a unarmed special and to be able to sail the bloodsea without joining mariners?
Hi Arcon... I think the genesis of this thread only reinforces that restrictive join requirements doesn't guarantee improved roleplay. Restrictive processes and a player heirarchy certainly don't safeguard it. Hard code can help, but ultimately it comes down to the player base fostering it. I am a firm believed that if you provide the sandbox and tools, roleplay will happen.

I started playing Genesis when guild join requirements were far more lenient. Roleplay quality was no different to what it is now. I'd even go so far as to challenge those guilds that see themselves as RP heavy as really being roleplay stale... having followed cookie-cutter stereotypes that were established back when Gorboth was playing, and not really evolving since establishment :)

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 02 Feb 2016 09:19

Arman wrote:
Arcon wrote:Arman, I was not talking about only kender. I believe that making things easier will make things worse. Quantity of members is not a way to judge a guild but on the quality.

Hi Arcon... I think the genesis of this thread only reinforces that restrictive join requirements doesn't guarantee improved roleplay. Restrictive processes and a player heirarchy certainly don't safeguard it. Hard code can help, but ultimately it comes down to the player base fostering it. I am a firm believed that if you provide the sandbox and tools, roleplay will happen.

I started playing Genesis when guild join requirements were far more lenient. Roleplay quality was no different to what it is now. I'd even go so far as to challenge those guilds that see themselves as RP heavy as really being roleplay stale... having followed cookie-cutter stereotypes that were established back when Gorboth was playing, and not really evolving since establishment :)

I always thought of an application as way for the guild to show the applicant the standard of rp they expect, and it gives the applicant time to see if they actually want to join that guild. I would like to see less of " I wanna join x guild cause they are awesome and kick ass" and more of " I want to join x guild because I feel that I would belong there". If joining a guild is easier there would be no reason for anyone (unless wanted) to learn anything about that guild. Sure, you can accept anyone but don't expect any kind of rp.

How are you planing on hard code rp? I have suggested that for example you don't gain any guild xp from mobs that are not your natural enemy. But you will still get the people that just script it and thats it.

I'm not saying that everyone should be great at rp, I'm not, but I would like to see less of ooc talk, there is more of that than in character. People talk about which guild is best and not which guild would fit them best. And during an application you can show the applicant what you want to see from them.
The whole point is that each guild want to set their standards and the "tone" of their rp and during the application you teach it to the applicant.
Shorter application means less time to do that, councils would have to choose between punishing people for not enough rp or just accept it.

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 02 Feb 2016 09:31

Arman wrote:
Kender (SS) are on the top of our list. However removing join restrictions will also be one of the first things we do... a difficult quest determining whether you can join or not isn't going to necessarily improve the roleplay of the SS.

And with the kender racial guild having no restrictions on joining, kenders wandering the realms out of character is a risk that already exists (and is a risk that exists not just with kender... Krynn minotaurs have as rich a roleplay background as kender, and have no join restrictions).
Good to hear that SS is on top of any list nowadays but...initial quest is like smallest of their problems (if any since the quest is pretty funny indeed)

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 02 Feb 2016 11:10

Balanced guilds is really hard to accomplish and the current approach miss important factors. To not consider race restrictions, alcohol restrictions, align restrictions and herb restrictions is a huge problem. Why is this ignored?

I also agree with Arcon, making it easier to join guilds is a bad move if we want to cherish RP. There are several options for people who doesnt giva a damn. I would rather see code who enforce RP.

Creed

Post by Creed » 02 Feb 2016 17:09

Now you're at it.

Make the racial kenders neutral again..

Etanukar
Adept

Post by Etanukar » 02 Feb 2016 17:25

I think the quest is the intro that you are all crying for with regard to "is Kender life for me". You have to put yourself in the kender shoes and explore. I found it to be really fun and enriching.
The other problems discussed with SS I cannot dispute. Under powered for fighting, but sometimes its just fun to be mischievous.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 02 Feb 2016 19:42

Arman wrote:I think the genesis of this thread only reinforces that restrictive join requirements doesn't guarantee improved roleplay. Restrictive processes and a player heirarchy certainly don't safeguard it. Hard code can help, but ultimately it comes down to the player base fostering it. I am a firm believed that if you provide the sandbox and tools, roleplay will happen.

Thank you.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 02 Feb 2016 23:28

Etanukar wrote:I think the quest is the intro that you are all crying for with regard to "is Kender life for me". You have to put yourself in the kender shoes and explore. I found it to be really fun and enriching.
The other problems discussed with SS I cannot dispute. Under powered for fighting, but sometimes its just fun to be mischievous.
I kind of see this as the irony of the discussion. "We want kenders to be roleplayers!" alongside "give them more powers!" alongside "but we dont want powerplayers!", with a dash of false logic that powerplayers are less likely to join if there are more hoops to jump through?

Anyway, the guild will be top of list for a review. Agree the current join quest is a good one, however i dont think it will remain as a join requirement.

Emraht

Post by Emraht » 03 Feb 2016 03:20

Moved to Sparkle.
Last edited by Emraht on 04 Feb 2016 02:19, edited 1 time in total.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/