Changes to Resistance Items

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
zizuph
Veteran

Changes to Resistance Items

Post by zizuph » 13 Nov 2021 07:59

Code: Select all

As Arman and I work through all the work discussed in his note,
we have been able to resolve an issue with resistance items.  They
had previously provided more resistance against spells than they
were supposed to.

After this upcoming Armageddon, all resistance items will now provide
their actual expected benefit.  This means that if you are using them
against damaging spells, you may see more damage come through - 
especially if your total resistance was already high.

For spellcasters, this should mean that you should do better against
opponents with high resistance.  Things that were immune to your
spells will remain so.

This is just one piece of the updates, and you should be able to
expect additional changes to resistance in alignment with Arman's
goals for spellcasting.

Chanele
Champion

Re: Changes to Resistance Items

Post by Chanele » 13 Nov 2021 15:00

You guys work fast!

One question regarding potency of resistance item. Having recently been in war with a spellcasting guild I have witness this in person. If you found the right items you could almost nullify your enemy so that justify this change. However, resistance items are quite rare and without it you are quite screwed, will an increase of items and slots be considers along with this tweaks or in future patches? With lesser resistance added ofcourse..

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 13 Nov 2021 16:33

Excellent work! Thank you!

Casters should have an easier and more enjoyable experience playing the game now, but as Chanele mentioned above, a fix leads to new and different set of challenges. Or in this case, what was previously a fair compromise (the few items that existed protected really well), now requires (many?) more items to protect adequately.

Scenario:
Thenils, mercenary/blademaster, gears up with the best armours he can get his hands on (pretty damn good, I might add - top tier) and gainly strolls out into the world. He swings his sword, and the hits he gets in return seem to just bounce off these marvelous pieces of armour he’s acquired. All is well in a melee’s world.

Suddenly, in pops Fireballz, a similarly sized dps-oriented caster who can’t stand Thenils’ face after losing a limb-measuring contest following a subsequent girlfriend walkover. Thenils is quick to react and manages to flee before the dude gets to fire off any trickeries because he knows that his glorious armours are equal to being naked when struck by magic. Fighting naked is rarely a good idea, except maybe with Fireballz’ girlfriend, in private.

Thenils knows that offence is the best defence, and manages to acquire a lot of items with general magic resistance on them, plus some fire resistance for good measure. Thenils is chuffed, thinking the next time Fireballz pops out of nowhere, he’ll be well protected from his spells while focusing on successfully beheading his assailant.

The problem then, is that these pieces of armour (leather, cloth, a silly hat and a pretty heavy iron chainmail) doesn’t really protect from physical attacks, and while he’s pretty safe from Fireballz’ tricks, he’s stuck with grinding sparkle orcs for the foreseeable future unless he – you guessed it – carries two sets of armours with him and got the switcheroo down to a science.

There are a handful of players in the realm that can do this without suffering the ill effects of the burden-monster. Most players will have to make due with one or the other. Needless to say, I think the resistance situation in genesis is a little.. unfriendly. Also, the items that actually exist are few, rare and likely even unknown to many.

Now I try to stick with the trend that when shining a light on a problem, one must also suggest a solution so as to not just be a whiner, so here’s some thoughts:

Option 1: Add random resist roll on ALL items classified as armour, randomized element and strength(Your otherwise worthless loot may now contain items of significant value).

Option 2: Add general magic res on ALL items classified as armour with randomized strength and another, additional, randomized element and strength.

It’s only logical that actually wearing something, anything, obviously protects -a little- compared to being naked.

Option 3: Link materials and resistance to elements, like:
Anything leather – fire res, randomized strength
Anything bone – life res, randomized strength
Anything iron – cold res, randomized strength
Etc

Option 4: Like option 1 or 2, but only added to those items already considered good/top tier. Will obviously take some work, but.. worth mentioning.

Option 5: Link the max values of roll results to armour class. The effect being that the probability of getting high strength resistance increases with the quality of the item. Bad armour, bad res. Good armour,(high probability of) good res.

Nils’ player.
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 13 Nov 2021 16:52

There are NPCs which wear magic resistant items but most of them don't wear items, their MR is innate. Is the innate part of resistances considered for PvE purposes, or is this a PvP change?

zizuph
Veteran

Post by zizuph » 13 Nov 2021 20:24

This affects all magic resistance, innate and from gear, which were all providing more resistance than intended, specifically against damage spells.

This particular change is more of a standalone fix to a known problem.

The matter of resistance gear being rare, and some kinds of resistance being too stackable, and all the other things mentioned in this thread are already being discussed and we will try to resolve them all as part of a bigger rollout. That will take more time - we have four major efforts that will all need to launch together.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 13 Nov 2021 23:43

Coolio, thanks for the clarification since the post implied entirely otherwise.

zizuph
Veteran

Post by zizuph » 14 Nov 2021 00:38

zizuph wrote:
13 Nov 2021 07:59

Code: Select all

For spellcasters, this should mean that you should do better against
opponents with high resistance.  Things that were immune to your
spells will remain so.

I think I was pretty explicit here, but I'm glad my clarification helped. I expect you spend the bulk of your time fighting NPCs, not players.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 14 Nov 2021 02:24

100% of it :)

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 14 Nov 2021 16:44

zizuph wrote:
13 Nov 2021 20:24
This affects all magic resistance, innate and from gear, which were all providing more resistance than intended, specifically against damage spells.

This particular change is more of a standalone fix to a known problem.
Will it also affect lack of magic resistance? There are big "bosses" and areas that dont have/consider spellresist and there are areas who have too much, will both be taken care of?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/