[POLL] New mortal levels

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should the new mortal levels be introduced to reflect current player size?

Yes, please
58%
No, thank you
29%
I have no opinion on the matter
13%

Total votes: 62

Riva
Apprentice

Re: [POLL] New mortal levels

Post by Riva » 26 Mar 2022 00:07

I'm not sure tacking on more titles will fix the issue. Eventually people hit the new max title and it's the same issue all over again. Adding titles ad infinitum doesn't fix the inability to distinguish "huge" characters and "big" characters at least not without a more stringent size cap. I don't think it's healthy for the game it is to further encourage the infinite grind. There's only so much enjoyment people can get from watching numbers get bigger, at least not with better "end game" content. Focusing on more content (more equipment, craft guild options, new areas) would improve things more than more titles to aim for. That said, I understand new titles is less work than new content, but it's also a bandaid solution to deeper problems.

TLDR: Focusing on better "end game" content would be better for the game than further encouraging the infinite grind for stats.

kelrhys
Apprentice

Post by kelrhys » 27 Mar 2022 01:10

I liked the idea of new mortal levels to better differentiate the vast category of "myth" at first, but levels based on size constructs rather than the current fantasy reputations are very unappealing to me. If this must be so, here are a few feminine options as counterparts: Belladonna, Doyenne, Duenna, Termagant, Virago. On the smaller end, more "adventurer" type titles could be added (Explorer, Pioneer, Rover, Trailblazer, Voyager, etc) but I am not sure how meaningful this would really be. I do think that additional stat levels and better ability to compare would be nice additions.

I don't understand how the rankings page has ruined the game: it's optional to participate and anyone who doesn't like it can simply not look at it. Why remove a feature that some people like?

Sibbedidenn
Adept

Post by Sibbedidenn » 27 Mar 2022 17:24

Yeah the rankings page is great and that it is optional makes it that there is no reason to delete it! I agree. :D

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 27 Mar 2022 19:51

Riva wrote:
26 Mar 2022 00:07
I'm not sure tacking on more titles will fix the issue. Eventually people hit the new max title and it's the same issue all over again. Adding titles ad infinitum doesn't fix the inability to distinguish "huge" characters and "big" characters at least not without a more stringent size cap.
There is currently a soft cap in place and I've started this poll because people are getting close to it and the "unrestricted and unlimited" growth shouldn't really be an issue any more. Previous change in mortal levels was ages ago when no one really knew how much people will be grinding. Nowadays they won't get much bigger than the biggest players we already have and even reaching those heights is almost impossible in a reasonable time frame for 99% of the population in my opinion (not everyone has the mental stamina to keep at it when you need several hours of hardcore grind just for 1 level of progress).
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 27 Mar 2022 21:45

Zhar wrote:
27 Mar 2022 19:51
(not everyone has the mental stamina to keep at it when you need several hours of hardcore grind just for 1 level of progress).
Famous last words.
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

tor
Apprentice

Post by tor » 27 Mar 2022 23:41

Riva wrote:
26 Mar 2022 00:07
Focusing on more content (more equipment, craft guild options, new areas) would improve things more than more titles to aim for.
There are heaps and heaps of new items and areas (and guilds, though not craft guilds) that have been added in the last 1-2 years. I think possibly the most new content in the history of the mud since the early days? It's not like we can have only one goal - wizards work on the projects they want to work on, maybe someone will take up this idea while the others continue to push out new content.

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 28 Mar 2022 16:51

Zhar wrote:
27 Mar 2022 19:51

There is currently a soft cap in place and I've started this poll because people are getting close to it and the "unrestricted and unlimited" growth shouldn't really be an issue any more. Previous change in mortal levels was ages ago when no one really knew how much people will be grinding. Nowadays they won't get much bigger than the biggest players we already have and even reaching those heights is almost impossible in a reasonable time frame for 99% of the population in my opinion (not everyone has the mental stamina to keep at it when you need several hours of hardcore grind just for 1 level of progress).

I don't know how you play, but several hours per progress is still far off, also for the biggest players.
The soft cap needs to be a LOT steeper than it is now if you want timings like that.

Areficent
Greenhorne

Post by Areficent » 30 Mar 2022 23:30

Tor is absolutely spot-on, I'd say!!

As far as the pure size-grind of the game is concerned, adding more titles isn't going to fix the issue of some characters growing too large.

What it is going to do though is improve on the quality of life of everyone. It's going to make it less confusing for new players, or even just other "larger/older" players, who aren't so deeply connected to the community, to actually know how they compare to others.

Here's what the mortal level progression could look like as an example:

novice, greenhorne, ROOKIE, beginner, apprentice, AMATEUR, wanderer, adventurer, EXPLORER, adept, great adventurer, PROFESSIONAL, veteran, expert, rising hero, FOLK HERO, hero, MASTER, titan, champion, legend, myth.

I feel this way it avoids going into describing mere mortals by using names of creatures... however cool such creatures or expressions may be.

Anyway, everyone so far had had a good point in one way or another. :D I look forward to seeing if/what comes of this poll and discussion.

Somewhat unrelated rant..

...but the order of some of the already existing titles is... a bit odd. Adventurer, adept, THEN great adventurer? What makes a "great adventurer" better than adept? Why is adept worst than a great adventurer? This is a whole other discussion though and I don't wish to ramble...

Didrik
Novice

Post by Didrik » 19 Oct 2022 11:48

Whats up?

Skythus
Adventurer

Post by Skythus » 31 Oct 2022 18:24

I agree that there is some mortal level bloat, but I do think that titles could be added or changed.

Completely spit balling here:

Mortal levels could be initially tied to Quest EXP. After you complete 65% of quests (including alignment restricted ones) you become a Hero and are eligible for elite guild membership and further titles using Combat Experience.

For size comparison, rankings could be placed in the title. IE: Cassius. the Strongest Goblin.

PvP titles not including warfare or special guild titles could also be an incentive for the "killers" of Genesis and a warning to Newbies.

A lot of the largest mortals find fun in grinding more than a lot else. They have money and power. I don't really see a way of curbing that large XP gap unless high risk features are added that could save time grinding, such as giving a portion of the victim's experience to the killer in PvP or imbuement stones linked to mortal level dropping on a kill.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/