[POLL] New mortal levels

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should the new mortal levels be introduced to reflect current player size?

Yes, please
58%
No, thank you
29%
I have no opinion on the matter
13%

Total votes: 62

nils
Titan

Re: [POLL] New mortal levels

Post by nils » 31 Oct 2022 19:21

Skythus wrote:
31 Oct 2022 18:24
A lot of the largest mortals find fun in grinding more than a lot else. They have money and power. I don't really see a way of curbing that large XP gap unless high risk features are added that could save time grinding,
I find this offensive.
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Tapakah
Wizard

Post by Tapakah » 31 Oct 2022 20:18

Some people say: we work hard enough to become that big, we shouldn't be nerfed. They have a point.

Some people say, though: we have been sticking around for long enough to gain that extra QXP, we shouldn't be nerfed there. They have a point, but still got nerfed.
We love self criticism - L. F. Vunyukov, "The Tale of the Troika".

Skythus
Adventurer

Post by Skythus » 31 Oct 2022 21:14

We obviously don't want people who spend 400+ actual hours grinding to have effectively wasted the time spent. Some of these characters have been around for decades and spent multiple years in the game just grinding. I start to fall asleep when grinding for over two hours (and am still tiny) so I can respect a massive tallystick and mortal level.

I really like a lot of Nils' takes and would like to see what he thinks about the bloat if the titles mentined weren't jokes. When you outgrow pants, do you keep buying bigger pants or do you eventually figure "There's probably a better option"? I look forward to Genesis 2099 when there are 375 mortal levels and you can only achieve mastery after 30 years of playtime.

But say, if you killed someone, you receive (or your team split) 1% of their combat experience.

The risk is death, but the reward could be a tiny amount of progress instead of an insignificant amount and you might get a random imbuement stone if the victim is larger than you. You could get bigger off the kill, and it wouldn't be enough to completely eliminate grinding. If you die, then you have to grind back to your size.

Could this be abused by 30 newbies teaming up to gank a baby myth? Possibly. But it encourages PvP and doesn't make grinding useless.

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 31 Oct 2022 21:35

Giving an XP incentive to kill other players will just increase griefing.
Those who love PvP will clap their hands and go on a spree, while everyone else will sit tight in their homes or just stop playing if they don't have a team that might be powerful enough to repel these attacks.

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 04 Nov 2022 17:30

Hi, I’m Nils the POWER GAMER and here are my thoughts.

I don’t have a definitive record of the first time Nils became myth, but around new year’s eve 2015/2016 sounds about right to me. Since then I’ve died down a couple times, taken a longer break around 2017/2018 and made a return in early June 2019 as mortal level legend. I’ve never been super into questing and to my knowledge I have not completed a quest no longer available, so imagine my surprise when I hit quest experience cap a while after the new area on the Isle of Dead was seeded.

Anyway, the last time Nils made mortal level myth was at 14.39 o’clock on the 20th of June 2019.
Having counted my progress levels since, the current count is at 3086 progress levels, not counting ‘insignificant’ progresses. That is equal to 171 fantastic progresses and some change.

The time put into each progress level varies greatly. Team vs solo for one, but brute, guild/build, gear and mob availability also contributes to the overall efficacy. I’d say currently a progress level takes me on average 50 minutes, but when every efficacy contributing factor hit in my favor, the quickest progress I’ve made the last few months was 30 minutes and 31 seconds. These are rare unicorns, however, but a 30 minute per progress level is good even for an early myth so let’s run with it.

3086 progress levels x 30 minutes equals 92580 minutes of combat. 92580 minutes divided by 60 equals 1543 hours. 1543 hours divided by 24 equals roughly 64 days. As I write this it is November 4th 2022 and 1233 days have elapsed since June 20th 2019. If I divide my 1543 hours of combat by 1233 days I’m left with an average of 1,25 hours or 1 hour 15 minutes per day of grinding.

Now, to the point..

Most of this time has been social events as in teaming, and during these events I’ve learned from, shared with, taught and helped others to the best of my ability. I’ve roleplayed when my team mates insisted on staying immersed and goofed around together when they didn’t.

Yet, somehow, just because I cared to learn, aspired to better my technical know-how, optimized how I played the game and dedicated a couple hours per day for 1233 days (and counting) slowly growing my character and in the process helped others do the same, I’m somehow a pariah. A POWER GAMER - the all singing all dancing crap of the world and ruiner of other’s enjoyment of this realm!

It deeply boggles my mind that I and others like me are viewed as the lowliest of garbage because we either 1) have a technical know-how others don’t possess or don’t care to obtain, 2) enjoy a game mechanic others don’t or 3) have been around long enough to slow boat our way to a stature seemingly unobtainable by others.

The world we live in is competitive. In order to stay competitive, you need to adapt or fall behind those that do. The work I’ve put into my character is fully repeatable by anyone, and there is no real secret sauce beyond this post and what I’ve written before on this very forum.

The fact that you enjoy the game’s possibility for immersion and regularly kill time being ‘someone else’ does not make you superior in any way, shape or form.
The fact that you are unwilling (read: too lazy) to put in the work does not make you entitled to an easier way out, despite what an entire generation of young adults seem to believe.
The fact that we’re veteran players and you’re not does not make you entitled to an easy way out either, despite how deep or wide the chasm of experience may be between us. Yet, when I first set foot in this game
-Maps were hand-made and the magic map un-thought of
-Death meant 1/5th of combat xp lost, no recovery
-Talking to someone through the time’s Discord-equivalents was grounds for deletion
-Being caught using quest docs was grounds for deletion
-Armageddon hit every 8 hours
-If you quit, you dropped your shit
-Guild racks had a purpose beyond hoarding
-If you needed to change up your stats, dying down was the only option
-If someone wanted to kill you there were ways to keep you from simply walking away
It seems to me your entitled ass has been handed a fair share of easy ways out already.

POWER GAMERS are people too, treat us accordingly and maybe we'll invite you along!

Unnecessary insults removed. Please keep things civil, and stick to the forum rules. // Moderator.
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 08 Nov 2022 22:23

How about new mortal levels you improve the compare ability?
To actually give some sort of idea if a person is 30 or 60 stat different from you..

Edit:
To expand a bit.
There are currently 7 levels of compare:
much better, better, bit better, same, bit worse, worse, a lot worse

That could easily be 15 levels or whatever else you find makes sense.
A beginner would still compare all myths to be much better in all stats, but a veteran or hero would get a more nuanced picture.
And while you're at it, if you do this... copy it to objects and the divine ability also.
Everyone should clap their hands about such a change. :)
Last edited by Thalric on 09 Nov 2022 16:38, edited 2 times in total.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 09 Nov 2022 04:20

Thalric: Not a bad idea!

Tulasi
Beginner

Post by Tulasi » 11 Nov 2022 16:56

The issue was up once; And we got new levels. Back when Champion was the highest level, and is somewhere in the middle of expert now. Big champions weren't at myth levels until we got close to the time when the new titles came along either. The reason for the supersized characters now is the "death recovery" system. Deaths, even for a supermyth is now something that can be re-grinded in a relatively short period. Yes, for a supermyth, it might be quite a long time, for a hero it's hours, rather than days, for a champion, days rather than weeks etc. But death is no longer the issue it once was. Even big myths have been known to remove all their combat experience and regrown, with help from friends, in a matter of a month or two, just to reset their stats... 20 years ago, players died in wars and pvp, and was devastated by the loss of experience.

My suggestion: No XP for PvP, splitting Myth into new titles, 3-5 of them, and removing the death-recovery system. You die, you lose that exp and need to grind it back as if it was the first time,

Code: Select all

What's up with every big-player area being alignment nerfed from evil mobs to neutral or almost neutral while the good mobs stay good?

Examples like Ghastly Keep undeads and Terel Trolls can be mentioned on the "why are these almost neutral?"

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 13 Nov 2022 08:41

I think that without death recovery a lot of players would simply stop playing. It's much easier to get used to convenient features than having this convenience taken away from you.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Dakhor
Apprentice

Post by Dakhor » 13 Nov 2022 22:56

Zhar wrote:
13 Nov 2022 08:41
I think that without death recovery a lot of players would simply stop playing. It's much easier to get used to convenient features than having this convenience taken away from you.

This is very true... But there are other ways to make a death "feel" more impactful without removing the death recovery all together.

* One could be forced to pay Lars 1/3 of ones bankroll to enter back into the game.
* One stat at random could be semi-permanently lowered until an imbued item of said stat was sacrificed

Etc etc

/DaK

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/