Sailing events

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
nils
Titan

Sailing events

Post by nils » 29 Apr 2022 17:33

Excited for the change, but some thoughts:

Suddenly throwing a ship off course = only frustration, nobody likes frustration.
Depending on how high the chance of getting thrown off = a lot/most of the zooms (see also teleportation) will happen without a hitch, not really adressing the problem.

Alternate solution:
Keep the sailing accuracy, but add preparation time prior to sailing. I'd say make the preparation a tad shorter than your average boat ride, so that there still is an advantage to being a mariner.

Second alternative: Revert all teleportations back to status a year ago as they're all inferior to speed boating anyway.
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

serander
Novice

Re: Sailing events

Post by serander » 30 Apr 2022 12:53

If you want an event make an actual event, not just an annoying frustration?

Make a f-ing Kraken attack your ship or a band of Pirates with suitable risk-reward scenarios?

Introducing annoying things that basically is "Oops, your RNG tells you you have to wait 30 seconds"
makes the experience tedious and annoying and either will make it less palatable than taking an ordinary
boat, or the RNG has to be so rare it doesn't have a practical effect most of the time.

In other words:
Yeah - what Nils said.

Rache
Adventurer

Post by Rache » 30 Apr 2022 13:25

nils wrote:
29 Apr 2022 17:33
Excited for the change, but some thoughts:

Suddenly throwing a ship off course = only frustration, nobody likes frustration.
Depending on how high the chance of getting thrown off = a lot/most of the zooms (see also teleportation) will happen without a hitch, not really adressing the problem.

Alternate solution:
Keep the sailing accuracy, but add preparation time prior to sailing. I'd say make the preparation a tad shorter than your average boat ride, so that there still is an advantage to being a mariner.

Second alternative: Revert all teleportations back to status a year ago as they're all inferior to speed boating anyway.
Absolutely, second this. With the new changes to mariners, there is no reason that teleports shouldn't be changed back to how they worked before.

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 30 Apr 2022 14:15

Just bring a rod, sailing and fishing combined = win!

Targun
Adept

Post by Targun » 01 May 2022 20:29

Team TPs to custom locations were game breaking la la bot land, that was actively discouraging people who actually play the game. It's enough to see how many of those "players" that were dragged along, immediately stopped playing after the change. There's not a single reason to bring them back. This being said... current restrictions are a bit too harsh.

To reliably use sailing you need to grind your way up to captain, and that's a lot of grind. It is a craft guild and similarly to other craft guilds it should offer some perks, not just flavor.

Events that break speed walks for sailing should do the job, although adding a fatigue factor that exhaust you more the faster you move would have been just fine.

Karpath
Adventurer

Post by Karpath » 01 May 2022 20:51

Yes, team teleport was gamebreaking in regards of exp grind/hunts but saying that pathing sparkle2mithas, mithas2sybarus, sybarus2ghastlykeep, ghastlykeep2tereltrolls, tereltrolls2sybarus, sybarus2palanthas, palanthas->qualinesti, qualinesti->palanthas2mithas or any which queue you feel like and then rinse and repeat without any whatsoever hinderances is not game breaking - is simply being hypocritic.

And btw there are plenty of fatigue inhibiters for normal players to sail the Blood Sea and Khalakhor in particular there
are just some captains that is not hindered or should I write WAS hindered by this.

I welcome the changes - go Arman!

- K's puppeteer.
PS: Perhaps put a 2h cooldown on being able to board/leave the ship would solve this, just like teleport right?
It is the fluttering of moths to the flame that amuses me.

Targun
Adept

Post by Targun » 01 May 2022 21:08

Karpath wrote:
01 May 2022 20:51
but saying that pathing sparkle2mithas, mithas2sybarus, sybarus2ghastlykeep, ghastlykeep2tereltrolls, tereltrolls2sybarus, sybarus2palanthas, palanthas->qualinesti, qualinesti->palanthas2mithas or any which queue you feel like and then rinse and repeat without any whatsoever hinderances is not game breaking - is simply being hypocritic.
I haven't said that. I believe same rule applies and support the changes. I simply stated that factoring fatigue more would've done the job in preventing instant teleport-like mechanics.

Bocephus
Beginner

Post by Bocephus » 02 May 2022 15:22

Ahoy!!
As someone who lives and starts on the seas this latest change has had a massive impact on my daily life, i can see how being able to sail from sybarus to mithas would help those that are only playing for xp gains which in all seriousness is a very small percentage of people and mostly they are mariners that are a craft guild that for whatever reason have a 10% higher skill than layman pirates blah blah, as an alternative that would be less restrictive to the players using the seas for more RP or just quality of life reasons it maybe better to have a combat cooldown timer, so say if you have been in combat in mithas trolls or sybarus or GK you have to wait 15 minutes or whatever time before you can sail if the reasoning is just to slow down people.
I want the best for the game not just for me

Bo
pirate King

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 02 May 2022 23:23

I think Bo's idea is great, suck hard finding good fishing spots as the wind die down all the time. End up fishing in the same spot with no chance of the good stuff as both getting good bait and finding the big-fish indicator require quite a bit of sailing.

Would be like those who herb suddenly trip and take 15s to get up.

Wyork
Greenhorne

Post by Wyork » 02 May 2022 23:42

Or how about some minutes of travel "cutscene" similar to boat traveling/portal use whenever you enter the Toroid Ocean?

This would feel more natural to me than cooldowns after combat or for port usage.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/