Racial stats rebalance

A place for Genesis Wizards to share their latest projects and updates.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Redblade
Adept

Re: Racial stats rebalance

Post by Redblade » 31 Dec 2022 17:29

Redblade wrote:
30 Dec 2022 12:36
I must agree slightly with Quantum. It feels as if there were very, very little reason not to pick human. The ones I come up with are absurd or funny (caster dwarf dumping dex over con, caster hobbit dumping str for a boost in dex).

There's some points to consider:
If the boost/penalty is so minor that it really doesn't affect much, how is this different from option A? If it isn't, you can't say that it really is equally viable to be in all guilds for all races :)
Who'd pick elf now? I can't figure it out. What caster would dump dis now? (certainly not me and my elf caster will likely move to human) What melee would pick wis over dis?
How does this concern the beloved undead race? People tend to forget we have one, so what is their boost/penalty?

Personally, I side with the above suggested option E :)

Kudos on giving everyone a free pass on changing, I think it is a good idea. It will still break a lot of good roleplay though, for many of us.
It feels odd to quote oneself :D

So... I don't see this adressed and I would love to hear and answer. If the boost is so minor that it doesn't matter, isn't it just cosmetics? Why have it at all then? This is a question I would really wanna hear an answer to, @Cherek and/or @Zizuph

I can share the opinion of Zizuph that you'd now only pick elf for roleplay. I've played a Ranger for a long time when that option was mostly for roleplay as you'd not get much powerplay from it (that's player experience, not wizard numbers). It sucks unless you're determined, REALLY enjoy the RP and you just hope it gets better one day.

I accept given reasons not to pick a human. Then however, if there is such amount of anti-human weaponry and these boosts/penalties are so minor we won't even notice them, aren't humans on the bad side? They used to make up for it by being acceptable in any guild and any occupation.

If this is an attempt to bring all races closer together... then you'd really need to equal out all racial guilds, erase guild rules on races, quest-restrictions... I don't feel like this is a step towards a balance of races. Sorry to say so, but I feel that way. No flames.
Auta i lómë, Aurë entuluva!
The Night is passing, Day shall come again!

zizuph
Veteran

Post by zizuph » 31 Dec 2022 20:40

Redblade wrote:
31 Dec 2022 17:29

It feels odd to quote oneself :D

So... I don't see this adressed and I would love to hear and answer. If the boost is so minor that it doesn't matter, isn't it just cosmetics? Why have it at all then? This is a question I would really wanna hear an answer to, @Cherek and/or @Zizuph

I can share the opinion of Zizuph that you'd now only pick elf for roleplay. I've played a Ranger for a long time when that option was mostly for roleplay as you'd not get much powerplay from it (that's player experience, not wizard numbers). It sucks unless you're determined, REALLY enjoy the RP and you just hope it gets better one day.

I accept given reasons not to pick a human. Then however, if there is such amount of anti-human weaponry and these boosts/penalties are so minor we won't even notice them, aren't humans on the bad side? They used to make up for it by being acceptable in any guild and any occupation.

If this is an attempt to bring all races closer together... then you'd really need to equal out all racial guilds, erase guild rules on races, quest-restrictions... I don't feel like this is a step towards a balance of races. Sorry to say so, but I feel that way. No flames.
It is an attempt to keep a little bit of distinctness, without it having the balance impact that we experience today. That is the main reason. I'm personally fine with all stats being equal for everyone, or the very slight difference. Both accomplish the goal of eliminating the frustrating choice of RP vs PVP power. For those thinking any race will be better than any other in any particular guild - No, it will not. Play the race you want. These small pro/con differences won't make a lick of difference for anyone. I expect that learning preferences will give you the diversity of stats you are after, instead - a much better place for that control to be than race.

Your point on anti-human weaponry is very true. In PVP, choice of race can affect if certain weapons are particularly good against you. This will continue to be a differentiator, to a limited degree.

When it comes to guild racial restrictions - these are thematic choices by the guild. I don't think a goblin ranger makes sense, and if the ranger guild blocks it, that is strictly for roleplay reasons. These are case by case, and intended to enhance the experience of the domain, and frankly I think they are fine. Outside of Minas Tirith/Edoras, I'm not sure where other racial restrictions are in play for quests. Greneth spoke to these quests not being needed to hit cap, but my personal opinion is that there should be alternatives to make sure all races have a chance. To that point - anyone who wants to contribute in making that happen, please think about volunteering to help! I have yet to hear a single wizard say that they liked quests that only certain people can do. But we try to keep a focus on thematics - for roleplay - and sometimes that causes issues due to the important of quest experience.

One of the things we have hoped for from the thread, is to identify these very things, so we can adjust them where possible. Please do not expect us to throw out RP and the racial biases of Krynn/Middle Earth, though - for better or worse, that is how those worlds are defined in the books, and we attempt to recreate that experience on Genesis.

Ckrik
Wizard

Post by Ckrik » 31 Dec 2022 23:28

zizuph wrote:
31 Dec 2022 20:40
I expect that learning preferences will give you the diversity of stats you are after, instead - a much better place for that control to be than race.
I keep emphasizing this point and yet people criticizing our decision still choose to ignore that we gave more choice in stats to players. You can still be a goblin fighting machine, you just have to choose to do so via stat learning preferences. But now if said goblin wants to RP a mage or cleric, that choice will no longer suffer the nearly insurmountable downsides of race choice in his/her character build of the old stat distribution scheme.

Zhabou
Greenhorne

Post by Zhabou » 01 Jan 2023 02:20

Greetings all,

I think these changes have a lot going for them. I'm terribly excited to not be a goblin , saurian, half-orc or minotaur and be able to provide for whatever team I'm in to the best of my ability. Gobbo was worth about a mortal over dwarf, and I can't even imagine being elf or hobbit ...

The wizards have asked for feedback on possible unforeseen issues from the racial re-balancing, and it strikes me that this is as good a time as any to talk about vampires. I understand that they will be getting a **small** buff from losing the human stat penalty. My understanding about Genesis was that we could pick 2 from melee, magic or rogue. If we wanted all 3 (as in an OCC archer with a magic layman, for example) we would take a hit on performance. Archers are terrible tanks and don't provide as much damage as somebody dual-wielding, but they get to be sneaky, so there's some balance.

I've been told that Vampires have melee abilities on better or on par with any OCC melee guild. They have casting abilities on par or better than any layman guild. They also have rogue skills that are far better than you can get from a racial guild in addition to some racial abilities that are so good they're otherwise illegal. I am not privy to wizard discussions on the topic, but I've been told - perhaps incorrectly - that they got all of these abilities because vampirism takes 3 slots (yes, I understand that most racial guilds don't get you to being rogue/caster/melee), because humans have lower stats than anybody else and because they have a coffin to protect. Since one of these things won't be true after the balance change, it's entirely reasonable to request a re-balancing of Vampires. They have been PvE monsters since they opened up. Once CC opens back up, I suspect they could use these abilities to be PvP monsters as well. Whether they would after the sordid history of vampirism in Genesis is entirely beside the point. Balance isn't based on trusting players - it's based on ability.

Now, before anybody says I'm being anti-undead, I need to mention the many fights I've had with my guild-mates about whether monks will team with undeads and how we, as an order, view them. I've been consistent and vocal that the undead still have a dragon spirit, and that I value inclusivity more than I value life. I doubt this gives me any credibility outside our Discord channel, but many of the criticisms of vampires in this discussion have been rebutted with charges of "life-ism", shall we call it, and I think that's a terribly lazy way to avoid answering honest questions.

It's perfectly reasonable to request a re-balancing of a guild which will be getting a buff - even a small buff - due to the new balance that's coming. This is expressly what was asked for - thoughts on unforeseen consequences of the racial re-balance. I know I'm not the first to point this out, so it's no longer "unforeseen". That said, I still haven't read the kind of response that these concerns deserve.

Again, I'm terribly excited to shed my goblin soul. I think this change is a huge step in the right direction. That I can consider so many more racial/layman options is giving me decision paralysis, and it's great. I am truly excited for the change.

Zhabou

Ckrik
Wizard

Post by Ckrik » 01 Jan 2023 04:19

Zhabou wrote:
01 Jan 2023 02:20
I've been told that Vampires have melee abilities on better or on par with any OCC melee guild. They have casting abilities on par or better than any layman guild. They also have rogue skills that are far better than you can get from a racial guild in addition to some racial abilities that are so good they're otherwise illegal. I am not privy to wizard discussions on the topic, but I've been told - perhaps incorrectly - that they got all of these abilities because vampirism takes 3 slots (yes, I understand that most racial guilds don't get you to being rogue/caster/melee), because humans have lower stats than anybody else and because they have a coffin to protect. Since one of these things won't be true after the balance change, it's entirely reasonable to request a re-balancing of Vampires. They have been PvE monsters since they opened up. Once CC opens back up, I suspect they could use these abilities to be PvP monsters as well. Whether they would after the sordid history of vampirism in Genesis is entirely beside the point. Balance isn't based on trusting players - it's based on ability.
Zhabou, I think you're conflating two issues into one. What abilities Vampires have has no bearing on race balance issues. Each guild is balanced on the same baseline stats. There's a cap on the amount of combat aid and skills a guild can provide and most guilds except for a handful (e.g. Mercenaries and SoHM) push against the cap.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 01 Jan 2023 05:18

First of all, thanks everyone who are contributing to this thread with your feedback/ideas/concerns, etc. Even though we may not reply to every post, me, Ckrik and Zizuph of course read everything that is posted, and we make notes about things we learn.

Secondly, while most of you have been keeping a positive and respectul attitude, some of you apparently can't help making small jabs and stabs against each other and us. Please stop that. Take it in PMs if you must, but lets do our best to keep this thread "clean" of the usual crap :) Many of you have asked to be more included when it comes to major changes, so we're listening and giving this approach a go. Please try not to mess it up (that goes for both wizards and mortals, because we can all lose our temper). If you feel that happening, go hit a pillow iRL, and come back later.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 01 Jan 2023 06:46

There are a few things I'd like to reply to, because some questions/concerns seem to be popping up more than others, and some also seem to be based on rumours/misconceptions.

1. "Is there any point to feedbacking if you have already decided on this change?"

Okay, so, I think that is my mistake for making it sound like we have 100% decided on this "small stat modifiers approach". That's not true. What I prestented was our decision _before_ we brought it to the public. Depending on what we learn here, our decision regarding what to do with races might change. I asked for feedback and your help with thinking of problems we may not have thought of regarding our new racial balance idea, and of course if things come up that turns what we thought was a good idea into a less good idea, we will of course adjust it. And if someone suddenly sparks an idea that appears to be better, we'll of course explore that too. So, everything you players say here _does_ matter.

2. "If the stat modifiers are so small they barely matter, why have them at all?"

That is a very good question, and one we have debated back and in the AoB team as well. Both before and after we presented this idea to you. It's like Zizuph said earlier, we wanted it as balanced as possible, while still keeping _some_ differences, so you at least can get a small benefit in certain "chracter builds". But just like Zizuph, I would also be okay with making races cosmetic only. So, that's definitely an option that's still on the table.

3. "Can't we have even stats, but have other things that differentiate the races. Like skill boosts, abilities, resistances, etc?"

Yes, like I explained in my original post, that was one of our four "main ideas". We explored both combat-related stuff and smaller "utility" abilities. For example letting dwarves remember more people, letting gnomes exchange money at banks for half the fee, letting humans pay less when training at adventurer guilds, etc. Basically stuff that doesn't have a big impact on the game, but are still "fun". I still like this idea a lot, however, it also requires a lot of coding, and we will also end up with the same question as the one we are discussing in (1) above. If these abilities are really good, and we don't get the balance perfect, we end up with the same problem as we have today - some races being batter than others. And if we make these abilities insignifficant enough so that's not a problem, then why have them at all? However, I am certainly open for the idea giving all races even stats, and adding a bunch of utility/cosmetic abilities. That's also a pretty "safe" option that really can't go too wrong. But it means someone will need to code all the new stuff, which might not be worth the time and effort because these abilities will have a quite small impact?

4. "Goblins should be able to keep their superior melee stats because goblins have the most drawbacks in the game in terms of areas/quests they can access, and they also lack guild options".

Yes, if we even out the stat modifiers there will still be a bunch of pros and cons to all races. But the solution to those imbalances isn't to let some races be superior to all other races. Regarding goblins today, I don't think the goblin drawbacks are nearly as big as the goblin benefits. But goblins are hardly the only race with drawbacks. Dwarves and gnomes have no really good options for a racial guild (power-wise that is). I mean, gnomes doesn't even have any option - just one guild, while goblins have access to one of the best racial guilds (Red Fang). Hobbits and kenders tend to be goodies (kenders HAVE to be good), and most dwarves are too because their guild options are mostly goodie guilds. And we all know being in a goodie guild is a pretty big drawback on its own due to lack of grinding areas compared to evils and neutrals - which is what most goblins are. Elves and kenders, like goblins, also have areas that they can't enter, or at least are harder to enter, and elves have quests they can't access either. (I think??) Just to name a few drawbacks with other races.

So, no, even after the change, goblins will still be a good choice with lots of good options guildwise, and that most goblin RP and guild options are neutral/evil is still a quite nice benefit too. Will it still technically be better to be human because of access to more guilds and all quests/areas? Well, yes. Goblins will probably go from being the clearly best melee race to "middle of the pack" overall, together with elves and dwarves. Humans will likely be seen as the best race, while hobbits and gnomes probably will remain least popular due to fewer guild and/or align options. But the difference between the best race and the worse race will be MUCH smaller than it is today because you ONLY have to deal with the imbalances you find out in the world, not not massive stat differences as well, on top of that. Honestly, I think many players would be okay with the goblin drawbacks just to get a wolf to ride on, something no other race can get. And I think more people will choose to be a gnome, despite the lack of guild options, because it's simply fun to talk gnomish and be an inventor, which you can only be if you're a gnome. I think even with the imbalances that remain, all races will appeal to a lot more people when we remove the massive stat modifier imbalances. It won't make all races 100% equal, but it's way better than today.

5. Shouldn't all races be able to access all areas, quests, and have just as many good choices in terms of guilds?

Regarding quests, yes, definitely. I don't think there is a wizard who doesn't want that, and unless I am mistaken all "new" quests that have been added to the game for the last 20(?) years have not been race restricted. We still have some old ones that are race restricted, and the only reason they remain that way is because nobody has volunteered to fix them. When it comes to areas, yes, I think the aboslute majority of "significant" areas in the game should be possible to enter for everyone. It might be really hard (like the Minas Morgul stairs), or fairly easy (like Isengaard), but it should be possible. Again, I wan't that too, but we need someone to volunteer to do it. When it comes to guilds, I of course don't think all races should be able to join all guilds, that would not make any sense. However, perhaps we should make a count, and see which races are actually allowed in which guilds, and see if there is room for improvement. (Mortals are welcome to help here). Perhaps humans should _not_ be allowed into so many guilds, and perhaps some guilds could be a bit more open to more races. Definitely something to look into, because I do think the available guild options should be fairly even, or as even as we can get it without it becoming too odd thematically. When it comes to racial guilds it's unfortunately a matter of coding a bunch of new guilds, and with our limited workfoce that is unlikely to happen anytime soon, no matter how much we want to. But at least one more gnome and/or dwarf racial would be awesome, to begin with. Any wizard volunteers?

6. "'Nerfing' goblins so they become just as good as humans (and all other races) is a boost to vampires".

This one is hard for me to understand. Or, I understand it, but doesn't make sense to me. Okay, so let's assume vampires are horribly imbalanced. So, if I understand things right the solution to this should be to allow goblins (why goblins and not another race?) to also be really imbalanced. We do this in order to keep the vampire population under control, but if we make goblins weaker, vampires will start slaughtering people left and right, because it's the equally imbalanced goblins that currently keep that from happening. Okay, I guess it is one way of doing it, but if _any_ guild turns out to be too powerful, be that vampires or someone else, the solution should of course be to fix that guild, not let another race be better than everyone else just to counter the first imbalance. And by the way, goblins were imbalanced long before the current vampires appeared, so if vampires are too powerful too, aren't vampires actually the "counter" that keeps goblins under control? :)

7. "Vampires received extra power in guild balance because they are race restricted to humans, so, when everyone gets human-like stats, vampires will become comparably better than everyone else".

I have no idea where this idea came from, but it's definitely not how it works. Or not how it should work at least. Like Ckrik said above, race should not be factored in when balancing a guild, unless the race is part of the guild (ogres). Also humans definitely aren't the weakest race, so, if we actually did factor in race in guild balance, the Secret Society of Kenders is the guild we should worry about after this rebalance, not the Vampires. Kenders have pretty lousy stat modifiers for a melee guild AND they are goodie align restricted (which is a big drawback too), so, if their guild is boosted because of the drawbacks of the kender race/subrace, they will be serious killing machines after the change. But that won't be the case, because race isn't part of guild balance. However, I do think it's good that this was brought up, because it is something to keep an eye out for. We have a lot of guilds, and not all have been balanced recently. Obviously it's possible someone, at some time, has factored in racial pros and cons into their guild. It _should_ not be the case, but, it's Genesis, and Genesis is full of surprises, even for us admins.

Quantum
Adept

Post by Quantum » 01 Jan 2023 10:29

A few remarks on Chereks note.

There are more killing areas for good-aligned than for evils.

I think you underestimate the vampire issue and how much it means to the non-vampires in the game.

Race should have an impact on your guild choices. This has always been one of the distinctivenesses of Genesis. That race matters. A lot. It should still matter a lot after the changes. There should still be races that are objectively better in certain roles than others. If they are not, then race becomes meaningless and you might as well just remove them all and only leaves humans. All choices about your character should be meaningful. They should have an impact on your playstyle and the way you experience the game. Just like guilds.

Which version of the changes are currently the one planned to go live?

When will it go live?

Nerull
Wizard

Post by Nerull » 01 Jan 2023 11:11

Quantum wrote:
01 Jan 2023 10:29
A few remarks on Chereks note.

There are more killing areas for good-aligned than for evils.

I think you underestimate the vampire issue and how much it means to the non-vampires in the game.

Race should have an impact on your guild choices. This has always been one of the distinctivenesses of Genesis. That race matters. A lot. It should still matter a lot after the changes. There should still be races that are objectively better in certain roles than others. If they are not, then race becomes meaningless and you might as well just remove them all and only leaves humans. All choices about your character should be meaningful. They should have an impact on your playstyle and the way you experience the game. Just like guilds.

Which version of the changes are currently the one planned to go live?

When will it go live?
What vampire issue?

Furthermore, the human limitation on vampires are there only for thematic reasons - these vampires that hmm..operates under [redacted] are simply stricly forbidden to create other vampires than humans.

Nerull
Wizard

Post by Nerull » 01 Jan 2023 11:14

Zhabou wrote:
01 Jan 2023 02:20
Greetings all,

I think these changes have a lot going for them. I'm terribly excited to not be a goblin , saurian, half-orc or minotaur and be able to provide for whatever team I'm in to the best of my ability. Gobbo was worth about a mortal over dwarf, and I can't even imagine being elf or hobbit ...

The wizards have asked for feedback on possible unforeseen issues from the racial re-balancing, and it strikes me that this is as good a time as any to talk about vampires. I understand that they will be getting a **small** buff from losing the human stat penalty. My understanding about Genesis was that we could pick 2 from melee, magic or rogue. If we wanted all 3 (as in an OCC archer with a magic layman, for example) we would take a hit on performance. Archers are terrible tanks and don't provide as much damage as somebody dual-wielding, but they get to be sneaky, so there's some balance.

Now, before anybody says I'm being anti-undead, I need to mention the many fights I've had with my guild-mates about whether monks will team with undeads and how we, as an order, view them. I've been consistent and vocal that the undead still have a dragon spirit, and that I value inclusivity more than I value life. I doubt this gives me any credibility outside our Discord channel, but many of the criticisms of vampires in this discussion have been rebutted with charges of "life-ism", shall we call it, and I think that's a terribly lazy way to avoid answering honest questions.

It's perfectly reasonable to request a re-balancing of a guild which will be getting a buff - even a small buff - due to the new balance that's coming. This is expressly what was asked for - thoughts on unforeseen consequences of the racial re-balance. I know I'm not the first to point this out, so it's no longer "unforeseen". That said, I still haven't read the kind of response that these concerns deserve.

Again, I'm terribly excited to shed my goblin soul. I think this change is a huge step in the right direction. That I can consider so many more racial/layman options is giving me decision paralysis, and it's great. I am truly excited for the change.

Zhabou
Try to be careful of what you'be been told. Anecdotes aren't always the best source of information - Vampires operate abit different than what is narrowly iterated here, and I see much of what has been said is flat out wrong.

I can assure you that vampires are within regular limitations when it comes to caid.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/