Racial stats rebalance

A place for Genesis Wizards to share their latest projects and updates.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
TaranGoatWalker
Great Adventurer

Re: Racial stats rebalance

Post by TaranGoatWalker » 30 Dec 2022 18:09

Quantum wrote:
30 Dec 2022 17:50
Cherek - Have you considered removing stat modifiers from races and put them on the guilds instead? Fighter guilds get +5% str, dex, con and magic guilds get +5% int, wis and dis? That way all races are equally viable and you will always have slightly better stats for the guild you are in.
What'd rangers get? :D
Stabby stabby stab stab.

Quantum
Adept

Post by Quantum » 30 Dec 2022 18:13

If you choose stats at character creation then changing from caster to fighter later on becomes disadvantaged? Does that mean you are stuck with those stats permanently?

Also, do new players know what to choose at character creation?

Quantum
Adept

Post by Quantum » 30 Dec 2022 18:14

TaranGoatWalker wrote:
30 Dec 2022 18:09
Quantum wrote:
Cherek - Have you considered removing stat modifiers from races and put them on the guilds instead? Fighter guilds get +5% str, dex, con and magic guilds get +5% int, wis and dis? That way all races are equally viable and you will always have slightly better stats for the guild you are in.
Since rangers are a melee guild they would get physical stats. I have not seen rangers throw lightning bolts, fireballs or poisons around. Maybe they have just been hiding that from me ;)

TaranGoatWalker
Great Adventurer

Post by TaranGoatWalker » 30 Dec 2022 18:30

Quantum wrote:
30 Dec 2022 18:14
TaranGoatWalker wrote:
30 Dec 2022 18:09
Quantum wrote:
Since rangers are a melee guild they would get physical stats. I have not seen rangers throw lightning bolts, fireballs or poisons around. Maybe they have just been hiding that from me ;)
Alas, whilst we do not use offensive magics, we are a caster/melee hybrid (as I'm sure most of you note). I am aware some PoTs consider themselves a similar thing, and some SoHM 'battlemages'. Such a system as you propose would force certain ways of playing certain guilds, which is not something to be wanted, I should think?
Just my 2cc :)
Stabby stabby stab stab.

TaranGoatWalker
Great Adventurer

Post by TaranGoatWalker » 30 Dec 2022 18:31

Quantum wrote:
30 Dec 2022 18:13
If you choose stats at character creation then changing from caster to fighter later on becomes disadvantaged? Does that mean you are stuck with those stats permanently?

Also, do new players know what to choose at character creation?
First point : die/thaumaturgist to change stats as is now.
Second point : Fair 'nuff.
Stabby stabby stab stab.

buddah
Greenhorne

Post by buddah » 30 Dec 2022 18:32

Greetings All!

From what I gathered this has been a very tough and longtime contemplated decision and I applaud the Wizards for having the courage to make such changes to Genesis!

Somewhat Newbie Buddah here, with some thoughts and I will start with the positives:
I think that in general this is a good way to not have players “locked” into a race to play particular builds and allows more flexibility and combinations, especially when it comes to hybrid builds perhaps like SOHM/Saurian flaming fists or SOHM/Thief!

The decision to allow us a free respec in both stats and race is more than enough for us to handle the change in the times! Thank you!

Negatives:
I have been a Goblin racial base since the beginning and I am all for the changes in stats, however I do not think this balance of stats anticipates the struggles of future Goblins!

Goblins are to my knowledge the only race that is so heavily restricted from guilds/quests and during my time a few individuals refused to team with me due to my race. Previously I felt that the difficulties of being a Goblin were justified since the racial bonuses geared towards being a lone wolf, however now Goblins are just any other race with lots of penalties outside of the stat arena.

If these changes are being made to make more players able to compete on even terms the Wizards must evaluate the Racism against Goblins!

#Let Us In (your cities, your homes, and your guilds)

I recommend several more warning signs in Tutori Isle regarding choosing Goblins and expect a sharp decline in Goblins across the board if this is the only change that comes in the near future.

Side note:
A lot of comments and concerns I saw on the discord deal with what stats will look like in the future and that all the races shall become bland. My interpretation is that the stat system will move from a racial bias to a more player driven stat focus system which is in a way what is always has been. It reduces the power spiking of certain races for certain builds but it will still be quite similar in the long term provided you appropriately focus on the stats you want. Since the real numbers of stats of races is Wizinfo I think we need to trust the AoB to make the determinations and possibly reevaluate guilds that benefit from a general base line for stats / increase in human stats.

TaranGoatWalker
Great Adventurer

Post by TaranGoatWalker » 30 Dec 2022 19:21

Goblins should, and I pray never will be allowed into MT.
Stabby stabby stab stab.

Riva
Apprentice

Post by Riva » 30 Dec 2022 19:39

TaranGoatWalker wrote:
30 Dec 2022 19:21
Goblins should, and I pray never will be allowed into MT.
I think the good aligned Calian Goblins might take offense to that. :D

As far as these changes go I love them, I love everything about them. I love the way you're gathering feedback first. Everything about this is perfect and I wouldn't change a thing about it. The current system relies on a flow chart of optimal choices depending on the guilds you want to join. Removing that and making the philosophy "Choose what's fun for you." is a huge net positive, this would be an excellent change and I can't wait to see how it changes the game.

zizuph
Veteran

Post by zizuph » 30 Dec 2022 20:37

There has been a lot here - thank you everyone for for the feedback so far.

Taran: Who gets into MT I expect will remain as thematic as it has been.

Buddah: Yes, many chose to be goblin for their relative dominance in melee combat. After a change like this, things like the red fang mount would be the draw. We expect many picked goblin for combat bonuses, rather than thematics, and want them to be whatever race they feel more attuned to.

Shesara: Gnomes have the best int, by a very big margin, at present. Elves have more wisdom than int, at present too. This is why I thought int for gnomes, wis for elves. Your assessment seems roughly right - dis, str, con go up for elves (the latter two by a good margin), dex, int, wis go down (the latter two by a good margin as well). For goblins - this has been a tough one. I tried to make it so the sum of combat stat benefits is identical for all races. Since goblins have literally no downsides in combats, picking one was tricky. Dex penalty is the only option that satisfies this, without still leaving a 'goblin melee bonus' in place.

Redblade: Noldor have steeds, as does Red fang. Others have various kinds of messengers. The extra skills provided by racial guilds do have benefits in various (non-combat) spots. And, there is a fair bit of anti-human weaponry out there, which can matter in PVP. I personally don't think human is right for everyone - there is a fair bit of differentiation still. Who'd pick elf? Those that enjoy pointy ears and roleplaying being beautiful, or want to be a Matron Mother, etc.

Quantum: Stat modifiers are in place for ogres. This is an option for any guild. I do not expect it is feasible to go throw it into all 20 occupation guilds at once, though.

Taran (other post): We do have a system in place to modify stats. It is meditation learning preferences. We may need to increase how much impact those can have. At the end of the day though, str/dex/con are still integral to most combat, and everybody that wants to fight would likely min-max those anyways. I think maybe allowing meditation to have stronger impact might be an option to increase stat diversity some - it certainly had much stronger effects in the distant past.

Quantum (other post): We need to pick a baseline for all races to be measured against. Human has typically been it in most games. Every race's stats will be centered around that, in this design. This isn't a boost for humans - it is making sure that baseline doesn't cause other races to shrink. Humans are currently the most popular race as it is.

All: I think this discussion may mean option A is actually the preferred solution. No race has any benefits over anybody else, full stop, and learning preferences is how you define your stats. It feels like any diversity causes conflict and concern. The goal is to let people pick race to define themselves, and not be shoehorned into a specific choice because combat dictates it.

TripleM
Apprentice

Post by TripleM » 30 Dec 2022 21:18

With all due respect: the question you ask is one of things you havent considered in the choice you already MADE.

The mere fact that the choice is already made, means you guys decided to throw a large number of things overboard that (may) hold value to your playerbase. The mere fact that we are still playing this game with current stat-distributions over 20+ years may hint that things arent as horrible as you picture them to be. If you are you asking feedback if people actually agree with taking this road, I suspect you get different results.

There will be a lot of consequences, I cannot judge which ones you accounted for and which you didnt. I think you are making the game more bland. I sense the same 'we know better than you'-attitude that I heard when white hits buff were implemented almost 2 years ago. Good luck with the results.

My 2cents, fire away.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/