Racial rebalance - Feedback needed

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Racial rebalance - Feedback needed

Post by Cherek » 30 Dec 2022 05:17

Code: Select all

Hello,

It's time! It's time to finally change Genesis six core races. 
It's time to finally make them equally playable. No, this is 
not some sort of early April Fools Day joke. What many of us
have discussed for years, even decades, is really happening.

Yes, yes, some of you will probably think:

"Whaaat...? MORE major changes? Can't you just let us play in 
peace without messing with stuff all the time?"

We could, but right now we have a couple of motivated wizards 
ready to tackle some of the big things we have discussed forever, 
so we're gonna continue making big changes while we have people 
around who have the skills, motivation, and energy to make it 
happen. So, there will likely be some major changes to Genesis in 
2023 as well, and races is definitely one thing that badly needs 
a balance fix, and it's badly overdue.

However, before we implement a MASSIVE change like this, we need 
your feedback and your help. And, our forums are much better 
suited for this kind of discussion, so, for more details please 
visit:

https://www.genesismud.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5726

Cherek - Keeper of Genesis

gold bezie
Expert

Re: Racial rebalance - Feedback needed

Post by gold bezie » 30 Dec 2022 09:44

Hello Cherek,

Now most people know i was a human all my mudlife so i really dont have much to compare... also im not the words best tester ;).
But i do like to compare our realms with the actual lore.

I ve seen a lot people in guilds where you have a race choice and you dont depend on magic go for goblin. This is obviously for a very good reason, since these people are overal experienced players. Also back in the old days :lol: ive heard that the lion created for learning to fight in a team in the turtorial only could be beaten by a goblin solo.
So (we leave saurians out for this discussion) i guess goblins have the most strength compared to other chars.

All fine with me.. its not my point a race should not be the strongest.
But why goblins? If i read the lores around goblins i read about small, wicked creatures who have learned to outsmart the bigger and stronger races like human and orcs. Also in some lores i read they could use magic or make potions.
Now i am a big fan of the comic Orcs and Goblins. The way orcs, goblins, elves and humans are written (drawn) is amazing to me. Maybe it can be a bit of inspiriation for the wizards, to who i m grateful that they give up their free time to look at this balance thing
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 30 Dec 2022 17:17

I am not sure I follow. Goblins are the clearly superior fighter race today, and have been for a very long time. Why this is the case, I don't know. It's always been strange, and probably because whoever balanced the races back in the 90s didn't really think about global racial balance, and just set some numbers they thought would be fitting for the differences races. Clearly whoever set the numbers felt that goblins in Genesis should be strong and sturdy, perhaps thinking more about orcs than the classic fantasy goblin? Why knows, it's always been a bit odd :)

After the prposed change, all races will be strong fighters (and strong casters). Goblins in the new system won't be any better fighters than any other race.

Archie
Apprentice

Post by Archie » 30 Dec 2022 18:32

Hello,

can I ask what is the vision of this change? What problem are you trying to fix?

Naturally a race which gains a bonus in the physical stats will have better results than those that do not, and any player avoiding areas where they would be weaker is merely a smart player.

But I would assume this is still in combination of which guild they pick, so as long as specials and other abilities do not use their weaknesses again this is a boost.

I admit I do not much care about caps etc, never gotten high enough to care how that works, but my initial question stands, what is the problems you want to fix?

Archie

TaranGoatWalker
Great Adventurer

Post by TaranGoatWalker » 30 Dec 2022 19:34

Goblin OP for melee, races not mathematically adding up to be even.
Stabby stabby stab stab.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 31 Dec 2022 04:52

Archie wrote:
30 Dec 2022 18:32
Hello,

can I ask what is the vision of this change? What problem are you trying to fix?

Naturally a race which gains a bonus in the physical stats will have better results than those that do not, and any player avoiding areas where they would be weaker is merely a smart player.

But I would assume this is still in combination of which guild they pick, so as long as specials and other abilities do not use their weaknesses again this is a boost.

I admit I do not much care about caps etc, never gotten high enough to care how that works, but my initial question stands, what is the problems you want to fix?

Archie
I really tried to explain it all in the "Why are we doing this" section of my forum post. Have you read that? If not, please do. If you have read it, please let me know what is unclear and I will try to clarify.

Archie
Apprentice

Post by Archie » 31 Dec 2022 08:28

Hello,

I was reading on a phone and missed the link to the actual description :) My bad.

I will post comments there instead.

Thanks,
Archie

Sollau
Novice

Post by Sollau » 16 Jan 2023 17:53

Hello!
While we're on the subject, I'd like to take this opportunity to bring attention onto the half-orcs: the guild only offers emotes.

Now, I really appreciate the rolepaly it allows, plus the fact that, since there are no levels, it doesn't tax experience... but I really feel the lack of more customisation.
Without claiming special abilities or stat boosts, I'm thinking specifically of any:
- orcish surname/ nickname
- distinctive tattoos
- changes in perceiving other races (a bit like humans hearing elves always singing, or elfs hearing humans always shouting)

{I'm quite new to the forum, don't know if there's a better place for posting this, but since there's no guildmaster for half-orcs nor the option "hohelp idea" in the guild help menu, I thought it would be fine}

Thanks,
on behalf of my second
L/R

TaranGoatWalker
Great Adventurer

Post by TaranGoatWalker » 16 Jan 2023 19:27

Mail Nerull, he's their GM I think.
Stabby stabby stab stab.

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 19 Jan 2023 18:14

I’ve always wondered why Genesis‘ elven race was the weakest race next to gnomes….. (hobbits/kenders even had their time when dex was ruled everything.)

I mean thematically speaking Elves in both Middle Earth and Krynn were badass warriors…. That most other races feared to go into battle with.

In Genesis they’ve had the short end of the stick for two decades. Squishy is the word best used to describe.

Bring on the change!!!!!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/