Race change further explained

A place for Genesis Wizards to share their latest projects and updates.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Thalric
Rising Hero

Re: Race change further explained

Post by Thalric » 12 Jan 2023 22:20

Zhar wrote:
12 Jan 2023 17:44
Snowrose wrote:
10 Jan 2023 19:14
Maybe dwarves get more benefits from being drunk and able to drink more, maybe a resistance to poisoning ( based on standard effects of good con)

hobbits could get more benefits from food their hunger drops quicker so they can eat more,
Dwarves already have that through the Rockfriends guild I believe (I do not remember if this feature was disabled at some point or not).

Getting hungry faster is actually a detriment rather than a boost.

But I guess both of those could be introduced on a global scale for hobbit/dwarf bases by letting them drink/eat over capacity.
Getting hungry faster allows for eating more fancy food from Gelan.
So I agree with Snowrose that it would be a perk, if you use it that way.
Of course, if you just eat any food, or don't have any food, then it's bad.

Tapakah
Wizard

Post by Tapakah » 13 Jan 2023 15:02

The Inventors have a design problem. It implied a significant GM involvement - each "invention" is another piece of code that has to be written and approved on the admin level. That's why "projects" and "titles" get stalled.
We love self criticism - L. F. Vunyukov, "The Tale of the Troika".

Skythus
Adventurer

Post by Skythus » 14 Jan 2023 01:05

If we're divvying out racial traits, I would lean toward skill bonuses rather than abilities. Racial guilds can give the abilities.

I could see passive abilities such as minor darkvision/staying drunk longer but if Dwarves are as powerful as goblins and they reliably recover faster, we're going to see an influx of dwarves.

If elves globally were given the non-combat active ability to summon a woodland creature to hold items or ride, this could give them a considerable edge when traveling where speedwalking is the fastest way to get around.

Getting +5 or +10 to a skill per race such as Trading for humans, Defense for dwarves, etc could push toward archetypes of each race, while leaving room for racial guilds to provide their own benefits. The downside being if you play outside your archetype (as a kender blademaster you probably aren't going to benefit from the +10 bonus to pickpocket).

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 14 Jan 2023 11:16

Tapakah wrote:
13 Jan 2023 15:02
The Inventors have a design problem. It implied a significant GM involvement - each "invention" is another piece of code that has to be written and approved on the admin level. That's why "projects" and "titles" get stalled.
I think we have an active admin these days to approve such projects, but we of course need a wizard willing to do the work to begin with.

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 14 Jan 2023 13:02

Cherek wrote:
14 Jan 2023 11:16
Tapakah wrote:
13 Jan 2023 15:02
I think we have an active admin these days to approve such projects, but we of course need a wizard willing to do the work to begin with.
but first of all this guild should be layman - with inventions that actually impact combat! (upgrading eq via tinkering, some potions etc ) :P

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 14 Jan 2023 13:17

Kvator: Wiz and...

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 14 Jan 2023 13:30

Cherek wrote:
14 Jan 2023 13:17
and get denied as a well-known Genesis criminal :)

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 14 Jan 2023 13:38

Kvator wrote:
14 Jan 2023 13:30
Cherek wrote:
We have accepted worse criminals than you as wizards! Salvation is always a possibility for anyone that truly wants it :)

Budwise
Veteran

Post by Budwise » 15 Jan 2023 11:55

Kvator wrote:
14 Jan 2023 13:30
Cherek wrote:
A well-known Genesis borrower according to yourself. ;)

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 15 Jan 2023 18:03

Skythus wrote:
14 Jan 2023 01:05
If we're divvying out racial traits, I would lean toward skill bonuses rather than abilities. Racial guilds can give the abilities.

I could see passive abilities such as minor darkvision/staying drunk longer but if Dwarves are as powerful as goblins and they reliably recover faster, we're going to see an influx of dwarves.

If elves globally were given the non-combat active ability to summon a woodland creature to hold items or ride, this could give them a considerable edge when traveling where speedwalking is the fastest way to get around.

Getting +5 or +10 to a skill per race such as Trading for humans, Defense for dwarves, etc could push toward archetypes of each race, while leaving room for racial guilds to provide their own benefits. The downside being if you play outside your archetype (as a kender blademaster you probably aren't going to benefit from the +10 bonus to pickpocket).
Another downside is that we've had quite a bit of skill inflation in Genesis over the years and most guilds offer very high skill levels so this racial bonus could end up being insignificant or completely lost.

In this I'm in favor of restricting skills to proper racial guilds (but here I'd like to propose a small change, where racial guilds offer no combat skills whatsoever, no weapon skills, defence, parry, blindfighting or acrobat - those should be handled by occupational and layman guilds in my opinion). I think all the racial guilds could get a look-through and get their skills adjusted since a lot of them are rather outdated. It feels kinda bad when you have a cool guild that gives you nice emotes, bonus character traits etc. but their skills are absolutely useless. With most racial guilds providing primarily general skills at a higher than AG level they would give you some minor benefits, help with questing and such and you would no longer have to pay tax for skills that are either useless to you or overriden by your layman or occupational guild anyway. Besides that there's currently a rather large disparity between some racial guilds, where one will just give you 2 weapon skills at superior journeyman while another gives you 6-7 superior journeyman skills, most of which are quite useful.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/