Race change further explained

A place for Genesis Wizards to share their latest projects and updates.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Moghiadin
Greenhorne

Re: Race change further explained

Post by Moghiadin » 24 Jan 2023 10:58

Goblin based mage is viable even before these proposed changes, even successfully so. Not for a powergamer I guess, but MMs have not really been a place for powergamers anyway, given (historically?) high guild tax, player governed growth, player vs player engagements etc.

In games I have always enjoyed trying to find ways to get strange combinations to be viable, to put a lot of effort being as good as possible, against the odds, being unexpected, different.

To be a gnome warrior with a huge axe, a troll magician, etc.

These changes will render such efforts unnecessary, and in my view less roleplaying and more cosmetic. A gnome with the constitution of a goblin, a goblin with the intelligence of an elf, yeah pretty unthematic.

When you go through with this, consider giving a free race change as well.

Greneth
Wizard

Post by Greneth » 24 Jan 2023 13:24

Moghiadin wrote:
24 Jan 2023 10:58

These changes will render such efforts unnecessary, and in my view less roleplaying and more cosmetic. A gnome with the constitution of a goblin, a goblin with the intelligence of an elf, yeah pretty unthematic.

When you go through with this, consider giving a free race change as well.
A major part of roleplay is using your various cosmetic features to define who you are and what you've been through, so this line confuses me when people use it. Roleplay is ultimately down to you, the player. But this is a game where playability must also come into the picture. Very few people play a game to purposely gimp themselves so they can play a character possibly over the span of decades.

Actually if you want to be thematic about it goblins are well known in the majority of all fantasy themes to be weak, easy to kill, stupid and cowardly canon fodder. Their only redeeming trait is being somewhat dexterous and their numbers to fight in quantity because they are far from a quality fighter. However its already unthematic to see hobbits slaying dragons in single combat, guilds "training" on their own minions, people from all walks of life gathering to spin a Christmas Wheel, running across the entire realm in less than 10 seconds and the list goes on and on. Again its a game, you dont use thematics or roleplay to base balance off of because its subjective and doesnt work for players.

A free death to do with as you choose will be given is whats been said in other threads.

Moghiadin
Greenhorne

Post by Moghiadin » 24 Jan 2023 14:44

Greneth wrote:
24 Jan 2023 13:24
A major part of roleplay is using your various cosmetic features to define who you are and what you've been through, so this line confuses me when people use it. Roleplay is ultimately down to you, the player. But this is a game where playability must also come into the picture. Very few people play a game to purposely gimp themselves so they can play a character possibly over the span of decades.

Actually if you want to be thematic about it goblins are well known in the majority of all fantasy themes to be weak, easy to kill, stupid and cowardly canon fodder. Their only redeeming trait is being somewhat dexterous and their numbers to fight in quantity because they are far from a quality fighter. However its already unthematic to see hobbits slaying dragons in single combat, guilds "training" on their own minions, people from all walks of life gathering to spin a Christmas Wheel, running across the entire realm in less than 10 seconds and the list goes on and on. Again its a game, you dont use thematics or roleplay to base balance off of because its subjective and doesnt work for players.

A free death to do with as you choose will be given is whats been said in other threads.
Yeah, I am masochistic to the extreme I guess, for me roleplay goes deeper than manicured nails and navel piercings.

I have never pictured goblins in Genesis as weak, stupid or cowardly canon fodder, the Red Fang racial guild, which I enjoyed a lot, made sure of that.
We may not have the same view of what is thematic, but I totally agree "training" their own minions is a really strange thing indeed.

Thanks, I had missed the free death, only seen information about a free trip to the thaumaturgist.

I missed voicing my concerns in the other thread, I'll go back to enjoying the game. Keep up the good work wizards!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/