Update on the racial rebalance project

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
qwertheangmarim
Adept

Re: Update on the racial rebalance project

Post by qwertheangmarim » 06 May 2023 06:11

Quantum wrote:
06 May 2023 00:55
Would it be possible to go back to the old meditation system where you set a desired % from 5 to 25 on each stat?
We totally should, but maybe in increments of 5% with names, almost like you do at the thaum

5% weak focus
10% somewhat weak focus
15% normal focus
20% somewhat strong focus
25% strong focus

Then, for example, as an ogre I could do 25 25 25 5 5 15, or strong, strong, strong, weak, weak, normal

Other races (like non ogres) would prolly have much higher mentals, but ogre mentals are... well, y'all know I'm sure
WOOH LETS GO!!!!! :P

zizuph
Veteran

Post by zizuph » 06 May 2023 08:21

Quantum wrote:
06 May 2023 00:55
Except I can't. I tried and my mentals were a FULL level above what they were before, physicals being lower than before.

If I only want to put all my effort into strength, then I can do that and achieve a very high strength. But then my mentals are also similarly buffed because there is only one stat to stretch out the experience drain. If i want to minimize my mentals and get them close, but never as low as before, I have to go 5-5-5-1-1-1. And in that case all my physicals are lower than they were before. I have tested on multiple alts as well now. It's just not possible to get goblin stats.

My second point is - the thaumaturge allows for very specific settings. Lets say you are a gnome who wants to boost your int through the roof to deal out some impressive spell damage. At the adventurers guild you cannot set int only. You have to set at least 2 stats. Which means every 50 fanta or so, this gnome ought to go and visit the thaumaturge and move experience out of the other 5 stats and into his intelligence. Would it be possible to go back to the old meditation system where you set a desired % from 5 to 25 on each stat?
I find it confusing when you combine “mentals” into one thing.

As a goblin you used to have a massive penalty on int and dis. Now you have a slight boost to int wis and dis. They have a lot less experience allocated to them. But the lack of penalty brings them higher, even with less experience than before.

Your dexterity should also be higher even with the same experience in it,, as you now have a slight boost to that. The (meditation modifier * racial modifier) provides the same ratio that you used to be able to get under old goblin stats.

Again - you likely min maxxed your experience before to get the biggest boost off your racial modifiers. That isn’t available now so you need to earn the experience to cover that gap.

The Thaumaturgist does not allow you to improve only one stat. Two are required just like meditation. I’m not sure why you felt this was otherwise.

As for the 25 25 25 5 5 5 system of old, that’s a discussion to have with Cherek. That decision was made 25 years ago to get rid of it. What do you think it adds to the game, beyond giving more min max potential to players? And would this be fair to casters who have more stats they need to focus on?

qwertheangmarim
Adept

Post by qwertheangmarim » 07 May 2023 15:47

zizuph wrote:
06 May 2023 08:21
And would this be fair to casters who have more stats they need to focus on?
Wouldn't it be better for casters, coz they could raise their needed stats all at once, not in slow increments, 2 by 2?

TaranGoatWalker
Great Adventurer

Post by TaranGoatWalker » 07 May 2023 20:34

qwertheangmarim wrote:
07 May 2023 15:47
zizuph wrote:
06 May 2023 08:21
And would this be fair to casters who have more stats they need to focus on?
Wouldn't it be better for casters, coz they could raise their needed stats all at once, not in slow increments, 2 by 2?
Casters need every single stat.
Stabby stabby stab stab.

qwertheangmarim
Adept

Post by qwertheangmarim » 07 May 2023 21:29

TaranGoatWalker wrote:
07 May 2023 20:34
Exactly, so they could put little bits in every stat instead of having to go through them all 2 by 2

zizuph
Veteran

Post by zizuph » 08 May 2023 05:02

qwertheangmarim wrote:
07 May 2023 21:29
TaranGoatWalker wrote:
07 May 2023 20:34
Exactly, so they could put little bits in every stat instead of having to go through them all 2 by 2
Players can easily put in anything between 2 and 6 stats with the Thaumaturgist. For meditation, they can alternate between "mentals" and "physicals" to accomplish the same.

qwertheangmarim
Adept

Post by qwertheangmarim » 08 May 2023 05:05

zizuph wrote:
08 May 2023 05:02
Players can easily put in anything between 2 and 6 stats with the Thaumaturgist. For meditation, they can alternate between "mentals" and "physicals" to accomplish the same.
Would modified stat settings would hurt casters more than help?

Dan
Adventurer

Post by Dan » 08 May 2023 15:26

Qwer, what i believe Zizuph is trying to say:
If you could stack your stats 160 160 160 10 10 120 vs a caster who needs all 6 stats who'd then need to go 120 120 120 120 120 120ish (super simplified) you make the game more imbalanced and helpful for the melee, hence the current caps make it less imbalanced as the melee are forced into spending xp on stuff he dont really want/need.

in a perfect world a melee would require as many stats in usage as a caster for balance reasons, however genesis is not perfect :) however the current caps on xp expenditure takes care of levelling the field much of the way.

zizuph
Veteran

Post by zizuph » 08 May 2023 18:03

Dan wrote:
08 May 2023 15:26
Qwer, what i believe Zizuph is trying to say:
If you could stack your stats 160 160 160 10 10 120 vs a caster who needs all 6 stats who'd then need to go 120 120 120 120 120 120ish (super simplified) you make the game more imbalanced and helpful for the melee, hence the current caps make it less imbalanced as the melee are forced into spending xp on stuff he dont really want/need.

in a perfect world a melee would require as many stats in usage as a caster for balance reasons, however genesis is not perfect :) however the current caps on xp expenditure takes care of levelling the field much of the way.
Dan is correct, that is what I mean. The casters would feel weaker with no 160s, in his example. The damage (both incoming and outgoing) and hit rates would both be lower than the melee.

qwertheangmarim
Adept

Post by qwertheangmarim » 08 May 2023 18:16

zizuph wrote:
08 May 2023 18:03
Dan is correct, that is what I mean. The casters would feel weaker with no 160s, in his example. The damage (both incoming and outgoing) and hit rates would both be lower than the melee.
But... they can't get 160s now, not as many as they'd want, right?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/