Update on the racial rebalance project

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Thalric
Rising Hero

Re: Update on the racial rebalance project

Post by Thalric » 05 Mar 2023 14:56

When the change comes, it is my understanding that we'll all basically get even stats like a human, and the amount of stats we will be able to shift with focus will be bigger than now.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 06 Mar 2023 03:40

Budwise wrote:
05 Mar 2023 14:29
Thalric wrote:
05 Mar 2023 11:02
Your stats are all even before that, so if you want even stats all over, you just go normal on all of them.
Then your stats will all be completely the same.
Are they tho? Elf now and I have balanced stats.
So I'd expect my weak ones to go up and the strong ones to drop. No?
Yes, you'll end up with "inverted elf" stats. That is, you'll be a strong and sturdy elf with poor mentals :) And that's why you all get a free stat shift at the thaumaturgist.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 06 Mar 2023 03:43

Thalric wrote:
05 Mar 2023 14:56
When the change comes, it is my understanding that we'll all basically get even stats like a human, and the amount of stats we will be able to shift with focus will be bigger than now.
Yup.

Edit: To clarify, your racial modifiers will be even, just like how it is for humans now. But your actual stats will still depend on your learning prefs. If you have focused on STR for 10 years you will of course still be very strong, but any racial modifiers will not be part of the calculation anymore. So, a goblin who has focused on STR for 10 years will be weaker than now after the change (since their racial modifier for STR will go down), while an elf who focused on STR for 10 years will be stronger than now after the change (since their racial modifier will go up).

Budwise
Veteran

Post by Budwise » 06 Mar 2023 13:07

Thanks. Guess I'll go out and smack some goblins then. Dang nerds! ;)

Budwise
Veteran

Post by Budwise » 06 Mar 2023 14:42

After the change that is...

Quantum
Adept

Post by Quantum » 07 Mar 2023 18:18

You previously stated that we will still be able to get goblin stats. Does that mean we are going back to the % settings so we have total control of how to set stats? If we continue with the current system and I can choose 1 high, 1 semi and 4 meh, I won't really be able to get back to the stats I have now.

I vote old system with %, it was much more adaptable to what each player wanted.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 07 Mar 2023 21:29

Quantum wrote:
07 Mar 2023 18:18
You previously stated that we will still be able to get goblin stats. Does that mean we are going back to the % settings so we have total control of how to set stats? If we continue with the current system and I can choose 1 high, 1 semi and 4 meh, I won't really be able to get back to the stats I have now.

I vote old system with %, it was much more adaptable to what each player wanted.
I don't even remember the old % system, so I can't really answer how close or different this new system will be to that. You will still have the same options as you have today, though. Primary, secondary, physical, mental, even. The differences will be bigger, though. So, if you focus on for example "physical" after the next Armageddon a bigger percentage of your XP will go to your physical stats and a smaller percentage will go to your mental stats. Same with primary/secondary. I don't see why you would not be able to get stats that are very similar to the race-modifier boosted stats you have today. Try out the Thaumaturgist and you'll probably find that you will be able to get stats that are very similar.

As for your vote, it counts for nothing since Genesis isn't a democracy. I will feed your vote to my goldfish instead :)

Budwise
Veteran

Post by Budwise » 08 Mar 2023 08:22

Hey, we got player rights! It's in the helpfile. I shall now excercise them... Hrribbit!

Quantum
Adept

Post by Quantum » 08 Mar 2023 18:56

Cherek wrote:
07 Mar 2023 21:29
Quantum wrote:
07 Mar 2023 18:18

I don't even remember the old % system, so I can't really answer how close or different this new system will be to that. You will still have the same options as you have today, though. Primary, secondary, physical, mental, even. The differences will be bigger, though. So, if you focus on for example "physical" after the next Armageddon a bigger percentage of your XP will go to your physical stats and a smaller percentage will go to your mental stats. Same with primary/secondary. I don't see why you would not be able to get stats that are very similar to the race-modifier boosted stats you have today. Try out the Thaumaturgist and you'll probably find that you will be able to get stats that are very similar.

As for your vote, it counts for nothing since Genesis isn't a democracy. I will feed your vote to my goldfish instead :)
I have another goldfish vote! :D

As a goblin I have 2 high, 2 medium and 2 low. In the new system I will have 2 high and 4 even. That is less choice than today. To be honest I was hoping for more adaptability. Maybe I should set 1 high, 3 medium and 2 low, something like that. Or 1 high, 5 low, if I wanted to be a really smart mage with only intelligence. Any chance we can get the system expanded at some point to give players more freedom over their preferences?

zizuph
Veteran

Post by zizuph » 08 Mar 2023 19:40

Quantum wrote:
08 Mar 2023 18:56

I have another goldfish vote! :D

As a goblin I have 2 high, 2 medium and 2 low. In the new system I will have 2 high and 4 even. That is less choice than today. To be honest I was hoping for more adaptability. Maybe I should set 1 high, 3 medium and 2 low, something like that. Or 1 high, 5 low, if I wanted to be a really smart mage with only intelligence. Any chance we can get the system expanded at some point to give players more freedom over their preferences?
We talked about this. The messaging is difficult, and its hard to explain how it works internally. Hence we focused on making sure you can get high stats, rather than redoing meditation completely to enable support for dump stats.

We might revisit it some time in the future, but it wasn't really feasible at this time.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/