Update on the racial rebalance project

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Thalric
Rising Hero

Re: Update on the racial rebalance project

Post by Thalric » 09 Mar 2023 01:34

Quantum, have you visited the guy?

You will have more choices than what you wrote there.

Quantum
Adept

Post by Quantum » 10 Mar 2023 05:44

Thalric wrote:
09 Mar 2023 01:34
Quantum, have you visited the guy?

You will have more choices than what you wrote there.
The Thaumaturge has more options. But I do not when meditating. I would like to have the same options during meditation as when visiting the thaumaturge.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 10 Mar 2023 09:25

I think that Quantum is saying that they would like these 2 ways of picking stats (current and future) to be somewhat uniform so it can create a coherent training regime where your priorities are maintained as-is as you grow.

Quantum
Adept

Post by Quantum » 10 Mar 2023 14:05

Drazson wrote:
10 Mar 2023 09:25
I think that Quantum is saying that they would like these 2 ways of picking stats (current and future) to be somewhat uniform so it can create a coherent training regime where your priorities are maintained as-is as you grow.
Exactly. When I visit the thaumaturge I can set my stats fairly specifically towards what I want. Then then I meditate I can either for physical/mental or two stats....which is just not the same. So do I have to visit the thaumaturge every couple fanta? Probably not a big issue for me since I'm growing slowly now. But for people just running up the mortal levels.....That's a lot of visits?

zizuph
Veteran

Post by zizuph » 10 Mar 2023 23:39

Quantum wrote:
10 Mar 2023 14:05
Exactly. When I visit the thaumaturge I can set my stats fairly specifically towards what I want. Then then I meditate I can either for physical/mental or two stats....which is just not the same. So do I have to visit the thaumaturge every couple fanta? Probably not a big issue for me since I'm growing slowly now. But for people just running up the mortal levels.....That's a lot of visits?
The thaumaturgist has to affect experience that you gain over your entire lifetime, all at once. Meditation you can change as you go forward. That is why the first has more options than the second - to account for how meditation preferences shift over time.

Tommo
Beginner

Post by Tommo » 11 Mar 2023 09:37

Interesting.... :!:

Quantum
Adept

Post by Quantum » 29 Apr 2023 22:40

Greetings,

It's been a while since the update and I thought I'd put some reflections in here and ask if anyone have "figured it out".

First off, the update is here, I'm not writing this to roll everything back.

But I think some of the initial messages about the update are a bit off. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Several wizards wrote that with the new system, the stat range will be widened, allowing everyone to set their stats to be goblin stats. I have tried that. With 3 different settings. And none of them achieved that result. At a price of 3400 platinum, it is not something I wish to do too many times. The first change took over 3 weeks. Which was a bit rough. I understand that sometimes a lot of experience has to be moved around, but a maximum of 10-15 days would be nice, at which point it just completes.

No matter how I set my stats, it's not goblinoid. In fact it's almost a full stat level off. Which is a bit much compared to "you can still get goblin stats". Is this intentional or have I just not figured out the system yet? That is still a possibility since the cost and time spent means I haven't tried all combinations.

Please enlighten me.

Quantum DarDragon

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 01 May 2023 02:15

What we always said before the change was that our goal was to aim for a range that is about as extreme as the old goblin stats, but not as extreme a hobbits. We used that to describe roughly how the new system would be compared to the old one. I sounds like you understood it like you would be exable to get _exactly_ the same stats as you had before as a goblin? If I wasn't clear enough regarding that, I apologize. But the goal was to get the new range in the ballpark of old goblins in terms of the extremes, and I do think it's in that ballpark. That's the feedback we've been getting from other goblins at least.

However, you're also quite huge, so, it's possible that even a small mathematical difference (compared to old goblins) might turn out to be pretty substantial for you. And, like you said, It's also possible you haven't managed to set your stats to exactly the same as before using the Thaumathurgist. I honestly don't know if it's possible to get it to the exact same stats as before, so, these are probbly questions better answered by Zizuph. Not sure even he knows, though. But if someone would know, he would :)

zizuph
Veteran

Post by zizuph » 04 May 2023 01:20

Quantum wrote:
29 Apr 2023 22:40
Greetings,

It's been a while since the update and I thought I'd put some reflections in here and ask if anyone have "figured it out".

But I think some of the initial messages about the update are a bit off. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Several wizards wrote that with the new system, the stat range will be widened, allowing everyone to set their stats to be goblin stats. I have tried that. With 3 different settings. And none of them achieved that result. At a price of 3400 platinum, it is not something I wish to do too many times. The first change took over 3 weeks. Which was a bit rough. I understand that sometimes a lot of experience has to be moved around, but a maximum of 10-15 days would be nice, at which point it just completes.

No matter how I set my stats, it's not goblinoid. In fact it's almost a full stat level off. Which is a bit much compared to "you can still get goblin stats". Is this intentional or have I just not figured out the system yet? That is still a possibility since the cost and time spent means I haven't tried all combinations.

Please enlighten me.

Quantum DarDragon
If you perform a 5 1 3 1 1 1 at the Thaumaturgist the ratio of your combats compared to everything else would be roughly equivalent to if you had done “str and con” meditation preferences as a goblin under the old system.

The old system gave you a bunch of free experience in those two. Now you get a smaller amount of free experience in all 6 stats equally. Because learning preferences are effectively multiplied by racial bonus, it means you have to put more experience in to hit your original number. But you can divert more away from the others than before.

In other words, you can hit the same ratios but you have likely less free experience if you previously optimized for maximizing free exp, so the final result my be lower than before. You’ll need to put more actual earned experience in to hit your old raw numbers.

Quantum
Adept

Post by Quantum » 06 May 2023 00:55

zizuph wrote:
04 May 2023 01:20
Quantum wrote:
29 Apr 2023 22:40
Greetings,

Please enlighten me.

Quantum DarDragon
If you perform a 5 1 3 1 1 1 at the Thaumaturgist the ratio of your combats compared to everything else would be roughly equivalent to if you had done “str and con” meditation preferences as a goblin under the old system.

The old system gave you a bunch of free experience in those two. Now you get a smaller amount of free experience in all 6 stats equally. Because learning preferences are effectively multiplied by racial bonus, it means you have to put more experience in to hit your original number. But you can divert more away from the others than before.

In other words, you can hit the same ratios but you have likely less free experience if you previously optimized for maximizing free exp, so the final result my be lower than before. You’ll need to put more actual earned experience in to hit your old raw numbers.
Except I can't. I tried and my mentals were a FULL level above what they were before, physicals being lower than before.

If I only want to put all my effort into strength, then I can do that and achieve a very high strength. But then my mentals are also similarly buffed because there is only one stat to stretch out the experience drain. If i want to minimize my mentals and get them close, but never as low as before, I have to go 5-5-5-1-1-1. And in that case all my physicals are lower than they were before. I have tested on multiple alts as well now. It's just not possible to get goblin stats.

My second point is - the thaumaturge allows for very specific settings. Lets say you are a gnome who wants to boost your int through the roof to deal out some impressive spell damage. At the adventurers guild you cannot set int only. You have to set at least 2 stats. Which means every 50 fanta or so, this gnome ought to go and visit the thaumaturge and move experience out of the other 5 stats and into his intelligence. Would it be possible to go back to the old meditation system where you set a desired % from 5 to 25 on each stat?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/