Darkness.

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Quantum
Adept

Re: Darkness.

Post by Quantum » 05 Jan 2024 21:17

I like that idea. If it gets implemented I'll pay you a whopping 2 platinum! :o

Any wizards sharing their thoughts on that idea?

TaranGoatWalker
Great Adventurer

Post by TaranGoatWalker » 06 Jan 2024 00:44

> a
It is dark, very dark. What else is there to observe? Nothing, you see nothing.
> light torches
You light many medium torches.
>
The torch fills the air with black smoke. Thankfully, it emits some light as well.
The torch fills the air with black smoke. Thankfully, it emits some light as well.
a
It is dark, very dark. What else is there to observe? Nothing, you see nothing.
>
Practical?

No.

Darkness levels should be limited?

Yes.

Nine torches should be enough.
Stabby stabby stab stab.

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 06 Jan 2024 16:47

Well Taran, you need at least 20 which is the normal amount to have when out on adventure.

Don't know how many lamps/torches give more than 3 light levels each. But seems that all but one darkness items give more than 1 level of darkness, the exception is also the worst of all items cobsidering weight and duration.
Imbued items do not count, most are 1 lvl anyway.

Reduce darkness level/item to 1, or 2 levels for the heavier or items that also have flaws like blocking weapon/armourslot. Why have several levels of darkness on one item now that the permanent light-stacking is no longer a thing?

Give ability to pick up stuff from pack if you have 1 lvl of light on your person, to avoid forcing people to be weighed down by carrying all heavy torches in inventory all the time. It should not light up the room except your inventory or 'exa me'.

Just add darkvision to all high-end xp-areas to reduce grinding speed. Also promote teaming in said areas.

Most of these ideas shouldn't take long to implement, I personally think the last idea is the least important.

:mrgreen:

Nerull
Wizard

Post by Nerull » 06 Jan 2024 17:31

You will beat most players with darkness with 2 white torches, or 1 great lamp, or an oots light spell.

For the exceptions, which is very rare, 4 white torches or 2 great lamps will suffice.

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 06 Jan 2024 18:53

Nerull wrote:
06 Jan 2024 17:31
You will beat most players with darkness with 2 white torches, or 1 great lamp, or an oots light spell.

For the exceptions, which is very rare, 4 white torches or 2 great lamps will suffice.
Thanks Nerull, got some searching to do it seems.
Wonder if them torches weigh 20kg or something silly :lol:

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 06 Jan 2024 20:40

The idea of being able to reach your backpack if you can light 1 level of light sounds very important to me. If that was the case then yes, the "infinite light" thing you keep mentioning actually makes sense and I wouldn't personally care anymore about blobbing.

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 07 Feb 2024 14:07

Nerull wrote:

I've tried these fantastic torches and here is my result. Most people actually carry more darkness than torch+gem, even if it's just one imbued item that emit darkness.
So most people are actually one or two persons.

Limit darkness levels per item, it just doesn't make sense when the only viable counter is carrying a darkvision item yourself.

Nerull
Wizard

Post by Nerull » 07 Feb 2024 14:16

OgreToyBoy wrote:
07 Feb 2024 14:07
Nerull wrote:

I've tried these fantastic torches and here is my result. Most people actually carry more darkness than torch+gem, even if it's just one imbued item that emit darkness.
So most people are actually one or two persons.

Limit darkness levels per item, it just doesn't make sense when the only viable counter is carrying a darkvision item yourself.
That's not correct. Most people don't have access to that level of darkness. The Majority of players can be countered with 1 lightitem.

With 2 great lamps, you will usually cover every player in the game with good margin. There are sometimes exceptions(as opposed to "always"), but then we speak of 1-2 players, at average.

I have tools to directly check this, dude. Its a great misconception that everyone, or most, runs around with shittons of darkness - it's simply untrue.

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 10 Feb 2024 10:48

You know the guy in Sparkle that you've been giving away all your plats to in exchange for nullstones? He also offers a service downstairs - free of charge!

It works like this:

Code: Select all

> get breastpin from backpack 
You get an expensive jeweled breastpin from your travel-stained canvas 
backpack (open).

> extract ordinary torchstone
You extract an ordinary torchstone from your lapidarium.

> fit torchstone into socket
You fit your torchstone into the socket of the nearest device. It pushes 
in with a loud 'snap!'

> insert breastpin in device
As you insert the expensive jeweled breastpin into the forge, the torchstone
melts into the device. There is a powerful flash of light, and as you draw the 
object back out, it appears to have been transformed somehow!

> app breastpin
You study the expensive jeweled breastpin carefully.
This is a expensive jeweled breastpin, and the craftsmanship is quite 
impressive. A breastpin of this quality would certainly be an heirloom in
any family.
It looks like it is in prime condition.
Darkvision (Rank 1)

> wear breastpin
You wear the unusual expensive jeweled breastpin on your left shoulder.
As you wear the expensive jeweled breastpin, your eyes blur momentarily, and
then come into even greater focus than before.
Tadah! Now it doesn't matter if someone brings a million levels of darkness! Nice, isn't it?

Imbuement stones are meant to be spent, not hoarded.

You're welcome.
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Budwise
Veteran

Post by Budwise » 11 Feb 2024 10:24

I dunno, Nils. Sounds like a lot of work. ;)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/