Armageddon, Tweaks, Progress, Gripes whatever.. (AGAIN)

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Armageddon, Tweaks, Progress, Gripes whatever.. (AGAIN)

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 19 Apr 2010 14:31

I am really noticing the effects of the continuing tweaks to the item saving, armageddon etc.
Seems like things changing all the time. And its pretty hard to get a balance.

Petros and crew can maybe clarify more on the goal.. And how they think things are progressing?

My understanding is this, equipment drops better spread across the whole of an uptime.
Recent tweak that stuff dropped early less chance of saving.
Stuff dropped late more chance..

I am pretty successful gathering gear across the arma and like things being spread out.
Its almost pointless to rush to npc's that randomly have the good gear straight after arma cus they will not have it.
No more armageddon blitzs...

The issue that is hurting the most is the saving gear..
2 armas ago everything that saved before saved again.
This time out of all that saved nothing saves again.

I wasn't as active towards the very end of the last arma, but rather active earlier on.
My guilds racks lost about 90% of the gathered equipment in the storm.
I am not exaggerating here, and it is only that we did some equip gathering in the last 12 hrs or so that it even got up to 10%...
None of the 10% saving again. Not one single item!! Thats Nuts!

All in all it was an EXTREMELY harsh armageddon, probably the worst I can ever recall.
It also meant that to get set for a nice start to the next Arma you were not free from equip hunting at all. As you had to get gear right up to the end of the timeframe for any of it to save. Many people would like to spend some time early on equipping and then be free of that to use the gear.

Only way Arma could have been worse was if no-one saved the racks....
And I am sure that hit a few guilds as well..

Equipment hunting is fun to do, I enjoy it over grinding when solo. Like to gather stuff for auction etc.
You hard work being devastated by Arma sucks.

Am I sounding like the next Ilrahil? :o
Last edited by Tarax the Terrible on 19 Apr 2010 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Sharn
Expert

Re: Armageddon, Tweaks, Progress, Gripes whatever.. (AGAIN)

Post by Sharn » 19 Apr 2010 15:14

Tarax the Terrible wrote:Am I sounding like the next Ilrahil? :o
Hey, teacher! Leave Ilrahil alone!

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 19 Apr 2010 15:40

Used to be Ilrahil brought up this topic most I think, hence my comparison.
I'm not as good an equipment hunter as he was.

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 20 Apr 2010 04:47

Three myth neidars saved racks two armageddons ago, because we had lots of items. After we dropped everything there, we kicked the racks and discovered only one pelt out of 30 weapons and over 100 armours saved. So, we slowly build a collection again, and when last armageddon hit, only one neidar was needed to save everything. Now we are back to square zero.

I agree with the fact that you nothing should save after Armageddon, otherwise the same guild could keep holding unique items for as long as they want. However, now it is possible to recycle them easily (since items near armageddon will almost always glow), so it didn't fix the previous situation.

There is a balance issue here too, that affects the smallest in Genesis. I can get five ancient platemails, and none of them save. However, since those are considered "lesser" armours for neidars, we don't use them. So, others would only be able to find [moderator: number removed] ribbed platemails (because [moderator: eq limit removed]), and they may not save at all. Since we don't use these armours, we don't break them and they stay with us until Armageddon. Others (mercenaries, monks, or smaller players) are not able to get them for their own racks, and must get used to even worse equipment.

I am not sure about the state of other guilds, but it makes me think the game crashed and didn't reset.

If this continues, I think it would be fair to request for autosaving racks. The rationale for not implementing them was that guilds would hoard too many items, but since now only 5-10% of items save, it wouldn't impact the game at all.

Elita
Apprentice

Post by Elita » 20 Apr 2010 09:44

I sorta like how nothing saves -again- after arma, it gives everyone a chance to get that coveted item they want. And I also think that items having less chance to save on early drops are good too, hopefully it will make people less
willing to keep hoarding stuff since there is no use for it.

I imagine that the up week will be broken down into Start - Eqing (If like Tarax unlucky enough to have lost all) to get the gear you want. Middle - Rping/Grinding/Questing/Herbing whatever with the eq you got. End - Equing again so that you hopefully get a good start after next armageddon. If you do you can spend less time eqing at the start. And I like this!

Code: Select all

I can get five ancient platemails, and none of them save. However, since those are considered "lesser" armours for neidars, we don't use them. So, others would only be able to find [moderator: number removed] ribbed platemails (because [moderator: eq limit removed]), and they may not save at all. [b]Since we don't use these armours[/b]
So why collect them at all?? So you can recycle them and not use them next armageddon aswell?? I'd say promote the free market and use the AH, make a few bucks.

In my case there hasn't been so much activity in my guild lately so I have filled the racks to the point where I and maybe one or two more can fully suit up and then whatever else I have found I will sell or give to others. I only made sure to have a full set of armours and weapons when armageddon hit.

Oh well that's my 2 cc

Cheers!

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 20 Apr 2010 11:01

Good to hear thoughts and idea being shared.

Personally I HATED that nothing saved this time...
Because my expectations are driven by previous times, where there was a chance.
If it was the rule that everything saved only once then it would not have been a nasty shock.
When i think about nothing saving more than once it makes sense.
Some people will not use a breaking weapon etc while it still saves...
A sound policy for making the most out of your equipment over time...
So with long uptimes could could say get a saving runnie & save it for next arma, then if it still saved not use it again.
Thereby taking one out of circulation for weeks before it is used/have a chance to break etc...

Would also like only armageddon to trigger the status. In case someome LD out etc and screw it up.

Rhynox likes equipping so do I...
But when I have more stuff spare than the guild can use, I take it straight to the Auction House.
Weapons definitely. Armours I am slower to part with, but when I think about it we should be doing that more.
There are definitely people out there wanting to buy stuff.

I am also unnerved by the fact players know exactly there are [moderator: eq limit removed] of item X available...
People CAN find these sort of things out by trial and error over time, something I know Rhynox if anyone is likely to have done.
But other people are being told by wizards, so unless equipment tables etc are going to be published for all to see this
should be secret to all.
Last edited by Tarax the Terrible on 20 Apr 2010 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

Elita
Apprentice

Post by Elita » 20 Apr 2010 14:44

Code: Select all

Rhynox likes equipping so do I...
But when I have more stuff spare than the guild can use, I take it straight to the Auction House.
Weapons definitely. Armours I am slower to part with, but when I think about it we should be doing that more.
There are definitely people out there wanting to buy stuff.
Honestly I like it too, but I see absolutely no reason in collecting more stuff then needed. Like I said I collect so myself and 2 more can fully suit up simply because there aren't much more people awake in a week in the guild I play. And I don't particularly care if the things I get for the others don't last as long as I get all lasting stuff for myself. That way I can go out and collect stuff for the guild again and I feel useful. Makes sense?

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 20 Apr 2010 20:09

It's good to hear people's thoughts about the eq recovery tweaks. So far, I think that things are working as expected. The benefits of spreading the equipment out, increasing Auction House usage, and overall discouraging unique item hoarding has been good.

There are some things mentioned in terms of improvements which we are in the process of implementing. Racks that recover correctly after a crash (not Armageddon) is definitely on the top of that list. Keep the feedback coming!

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 20 Apr 2010 21:29

One of the reasons the game lost so much appeal to me was the faulty system. EQ hunting was probably one of my top favorite aspects of the game, and for a player like me it got utterly ruined. I could still get good eq but it wasn't enjoyable killing NPC's 25-30 times to get nothing, and then have a ffriend log in and kill it once and get what I sought. Sure that friend and me probably shared racks but it really irritated me that I had put that much effort into it for no reward. Not to mention the lack of saving items as Armageddon got close was just depressing. It actually in my opinion encouraged hoarding because you needed 2-3 of an item to guarantee you'd have one saving. Otherwise you'd have to wait till 3-4 days in before you got it, and then it probably wouldn't save.

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 21 Apr 2010 03:36

Elita wrote:So why collect them at all?? So you can recycle them and not use them next armageddon aswell?? I'd say promote the free market and use the AH, make a few bucks.
Because if I need to kill something ten times to get something useful, I am not going to give it away (unless we cannot use it, like a pike or a sword). Also, even though we are few we have five active members (and Irk grinds so hard he usually ends up breaking a couple dozen armours per Armageddon), so having spare armours (even if they are not that useful for us) is always convenient.

The AH is a nice concept, but neidars don't use it.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/