The Dagarim Aran

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gorboth
Site Admin

Re: The Dagarim Aran

Post by gorboth » 24 May 2010 22:24

Experience for roleplay is nonsense, and will never be implemented so long as I am a wizard who has a say in the matter. Good roleplay is its own reward. Those who value it will need no further incentives.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Fourtcoer
Wanderer

Post by Fourtcoer » 25 May 2010 02:28

Gorboth,

While I agree roleplaying is its own incentive, I disagree that this truth completely negates the potential value of rewarding roleplayers.

While a few players manage to make enough time to grind AND roleplay extensively, often times it is the case that players do not have time for the both, and some of the best roleplayers are dwarfed by those that are driven by grinding. Offering some alternate experience revenue for those players is not going to eliminate that gap, but it can narrow it. The "power incentive" will always be to forgo roleplaying and grind as fast and hard as you can, so it only rewards those who want to roleplay anyways.

One MUD I used to play had something called RPV - or "roleplaying value" - this was a hidden number that only the MUD's wizards can set and see. As the value went up, players got access to things like free emotes, free echoes (for those who were TRULY trusted to be responsible and appropriate), custom last names and titles, and increasing as the RPV value increase, a passive stream of experience when the character was not in combat. This experience was NOT a hugely substantial experience revenue at all, but over time a dedicated roleplayer who spent hours and hours adding to the overall quality of the game received enough experience to have a modest boost in his or her level. Trust me, this did NOT provide enough incentive for anyone to pretend to roleplay if they didn't want to, but it did offer something of value to the roleplayer who was, in turn, offering something of value to the MUD's atmosphere.

My favorite roleplaying rewards on this mud though, included wizard interaction. Not directly from wizards, but wizards who would interact with players through NPCs or deities they worshipped. :) A unique tattoo or roleplaying item that came from the experience would be rare icing on the cake, and something that could be used to impress the newbie roleplayers. :)

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 25 May 2010 04:39

I like what Fourtcoer just said :)
But i wouldnt want EXP for roleplay.
But what he said.. little things like inconsequential items, free emotes and echoes.
And ofc the titles et cetra :p
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 25 May 2010 15:19

Topic needs split. Where the mods on holidays same as I was..! heh.

On topic: The anti-angmars is a super cool idea. I would love to see it supported and go further.
The fact it is a roleplay and not a player fighting club is something of a clash however.
Surely the roleplay will lead to player fighting, if two + opposing sides are out in the open.

I guess the roleplay is the basis for joining tho, which is to be commended. ME has a fine pedigree for RP'ers
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 31 May 2010 16:51

Hows the Morale in the Dagarims?
Despite being envisioned as a not just a player fighting club their Commanders at least are being drawn into to quite a lot of fighting...

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 31 May 2010 16:53

Last edited by Alorrana on 31 Aug 2010 12:07, edited 1 time in total.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 31 May 2010 16:58

Well I hope not.. Asking because they are a cool group, so hope the pfighting not putting them off the idea.

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 31 May 2010 17:00

Last edited by Alorrana on 31 Aug 2010 12:07, edited 1 time in total.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 31 May 2010 17:30

Why not give them a bit of a break?
Cant be a challenge for you guys to kill them time after time.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 31 May 2010 17:56

amberlee wrote:Why not give them a bit of a break?
Cant be a challenge for you guys to kill them time after time.
Well some of them at least seem to be quite up for the fighting.
And in good old Genesis tradition the others are getting pulled in whether they wanted to or not.
No one seems interested in putting any limits or treaties in place yet.
Probably wanting a bit of revenge before things calm down.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/