The Crusade

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Maizara

The Crusade

Post by Maizara » 27 May 2010 08:45

Short and sweet, I want more players :D

Therefore I am going on a little Crusade of posting in forums, going to send myspace, facebook invites to a page that I will set up. (Yeah I know theres already 2-3 of them but none of them have my handy little invite sender)

Anyone who has the time just post this up on one of your forums you visit, or add a few comments to the ones I have posted up on Top Mud Sites and The Mud Connector. Just took what was off of the main site and added a bit too it, add your own twist to it just post something :P

Hello, MUD, fantasy, D&D, adventure lover!

Genesis is the original LPMud, though little remains of the stuff from the early days. The emphasis of the mud is to be a challenging game. Themes includes Tolkien, Dragon Lance and many others. The world is strictly medieval fantasy based. Genesis has been around since '93 and players from then are still learning and experiencing new things in these exciting and ever evolving realms of mystery.

Join the Heroic Knights of Solamnia and live your life by the Code, or turn around and enjoy the dark gifts bestowed to the Priests of Takhisis and her Armies! Become a Defender of the Free People as a Ranger of the North or take guilty pleasure in Serving the Nine with the Angmar or even making your way as the powerful Nazgul themselves. There are several guilds to customize your character in ranging from Racial Guilds, Occupational, Laymans and Crafts each with their own skills, abilities and titles.

Genesis may be as old as they get but it hasn't diminished one bit, with tons of rooms and areas to explore to the vast amount of quests you can spend years and still learn new things as you go and things are constantly being added. With areas such as Krynn, Middle Earth, Faerun, Earthsea and Original areas like Avenir home of the Shadow Union and Calia of the Elemental Clerics and Calian Warriors to Raumdor Lands of the Undead and Emerald home of the mighty Ogres you stay with Genesis will never be dull.

Roleplaying is highly encouraged amongst all characters and we urge everyone to take part in the fun!

There are many features that sets it apart from most other muds. One of the most enjoyable aspects is the interesting and ever-changing interaction between different guilds. Relations range from alliance to uneasy truce with the occasional outbreak of war.

Another special feature are events, that are planned and executed by a special team of wizards from time to time.

Being a newbie you may find yourself in interesting, unusual and sometimes challenging situations. But as you learn the world you find yourself developing an authentic, popular and powerful character. Join us today!

If you find yourself interested come take a look for yourself!

mud.genesismud.org

Website - Genesis - The Original LPMud (Currently Undergoing Update)

Forums - Genesis MUD - Index page

Maps - Crossbearer

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Re: The Crusade

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 27 May 2010 10:28

Nice!

I keep threatening to try something similar..
I think we have a niche in the market as being more hardcore than MMORPG's which are made easy so the mediocre masses will continue to pay..
:ugeek:
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Hektor
Veteran

Post by Hektor » 27 May 2010 10:48

Our sell points lie also in the inter character relations, continued efforts to roleplay and long history between some of the guilds, characters etc. I support your efforts Maiz. Keep it up!
Lawful evil - conform or die.

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 27 May 2010 13:05

Last edited by Alorrana on 31 Aug 2010 12:10, edited 1 time in total.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 01 Jun 2010 03:57

Excellent!

The fact that there are players like Maizara who are willing to roll up their sleeves and invest a bit of their own time outside the game to promote it is excellent.

I most certainly do not want to dampen spirits or dull enthusiasm for this sort of thing. Players promoting the game, and trying to get people to try it is *always* good.

That being said ...

We are not quite ready to sound the call for all-out-promotion. The reason I say this is that the game is not quite user-friendly enough yet for brand new people who have literally never tried a MUD before. I am spending all of my current efforts to make this happen. My goal is that we will be ready in the next few months. What I am personally working on:

- Streamlining the tutorial.
- Spiffing up Sparkle (especially wrt maps.)
- Adding newbie content/quests in Sparkle to rival the best the game has to offer for newbies.
- Coordinating efforts with Tapakah and a talented artist for a completely new and awesome website.

Once these things are complete ... THEN it will be time for us all to do as Maizara suggests. In fact, when that time comes, I will personally be recommending very specific actions from all players.

So ... Maizara - WAY TO GO! However ... not yet! ;-)

This is the "half baked cake" issue. We don't want to bring people in the bakery till its ready. At least, not en masse.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 01 Jun 2010 07:23

While I respect that viewpoint Gorboth... no reason for Mazaira to put the brakes on her efforts. Players should always encourage others to play or try to draw other people in. People can say there are huge changes going underway that might make it difficult at the time, bt if people still want to try it now no reason to not have them do so. Then later on Maizara can make the statement of these things that you hated were improved. Come try again!

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 01 Jun 2010 11:05

Actually, I don't think it works that way, Ilrahil. I wish it did!

You are a fickle forum browswer. Your time and energy are precious. Some guy suggests Genesis. You give it a shot. Whoa! Learning curve so steep! Sorta confusing. Not newbie friendly! Screw this!

3 months later, same guy says, "Oh, Genesis is actually ready for you now. Give it another try please!" You post a response that everyone else on the forum will read saying, "Not worth your time, people. I tried it and it suuuuucked."

This is what we want to avoid.
G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Fourtcoer
Wanderer

Post by Fourtcoer » 02 Jun 2010 03:18

When the time coms, in addition, I have fantasized about some creative ways to advertise Genesis. Go to a used bookstore and insert small leaflets in Tolkien novels or Dragonlance sourcebooks. "Be a Knight, or join the Dragonarmy. Quality text-based online RPG, always 100% free. http://www.genesismud.org"

It may seem like small beans, but getting a playerbase on a game like Genesis isn't about widespread advertising, but rather about targeting the *right* individuals. Readers, people who play tabletop RPGs, etc.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 02 Jun 2010 20:26

This is a FANTASTIC idea! :-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 02 Jun 2010 21:04

About this idea... Let me off-top here a bit:
Has anyone here read the Dragonships series by Weiss and Hickman? Are they any good?
I'm tempted...
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/