Magic Map Additions

A place for Genesis Wizards to share their latest projects and updates.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Emmiline Calaith
Adventurer
Posts: 90
Joined: 03 Jun 2016 02:23

Re: Magic Map Additions

Post by Emmiline Calaith » 31 May 2017 21:44

Perrigrine wrote:The interior of the Heralds of the Valar guild has been added to the magic map!
Ahhhhhh! Thank youuuu!
There are three types of people: those who can count, and those who can't.

Perrigrine
Wizard
Posts: 107
Joined: 17 Aug 2016 05:11

Re: Magic Map Additions

Post by Perrigrine » 01 Jun 2017 00:54

Some old maps may be wider than 80 characters but that is the standard we now hold ourselves to.

User avatar
Arman
Wizard
Posts: 607
Joined: 22 Sep 2014 13:15

Re: Magic Map Additions

Post by Arman » 01 Jun 2017 08:28

Perrigrine wrote:Some old maps may be wider than 80 characters but that is the standard we now hold ourselves to.
I may be guilty of some such maps... part of learning how to make them and the evolution of magic maps. Anyway if you find any such maps report it here and we can probably flag for re-updating at some point.

User avatar
Tarax the Terrible
Myth
Posts: 1331
Joined: 09 Mar 2010 20:33
Location: UK

Re: Magic Map Additions

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 01 Jun 2017 09:29

Arman wrote:
Perrigrine wrote:Some old maps may be wider than 80 characters but that is the standard we now hold ourselves to.
I may be guilty of some such maps... part of learning how to make them and the evolution of magic maps. Anyway if you find any such maps report it here and we can probably flag for re-updating at some point.
Excellent thank you.
The testing I did was in the newbie area.
Moving north from the start place towards the bunnies the map changed width.

Curious, how does the genesis web client know when to put map data on a new line?
Because it seems to work fine with any width.

Is there a way to train other clients to do the same?
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

User avatar
Arman
Wizard
Posts: 607
Joined: 22 Sep 2014 13:15

Re: Magic Map Additions

Post by Arman » 01 Jun 2017 11:49

Tarax the Terrible wrote:
Arman wrote:
Perrigrine wrote:Some old maps may be wider than 80 characters but that is the standard we now hold ourselves to.
I may be guilty of some such maps... part of learning how to make them and the evolution of magic maps. Anyway if you find any such maps report it here and we can probably flag for re-updating at some point.
Excellent thank you.
The testing I did was in the newbie area.
Moving north from the start place towards the bunnies the map changed width.

Curious, how does the genesis web client know when to put map data on a new line?
Because it seems to work fine with any width.

Is there a way to train other clients to do the same?
That is a question better asked of Mercade or Gorboth. Otherwise just assume it is done by magic.

User avatar
gorboth
Site Admin
Posts: 2306
Joined: 03 Mar 2010 20:51
Location: Some old coffin

Re: Magic Map Additions

Post by gorboth » 01 Jun 2017 17:23

It is certainly possible for maps to be less than 80 chars in width. None should exceed 80, and if they do, they are naughty.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

User avatar
Tarax the Terrible
Myth
Posts: 1331
Joined: 09 Mar 2010 20:33
Location: UK

Re: Magic Map Additions

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 01 Jun 2017 21:09

But how does the client know when to break differing lengths of map to a new line?

Cus in the raw gmcp data as far as I I could tell it was like it was just one big string with no /n for newlines or whatever
Unless I am missing something
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Perrigrine
Wizard
Posts: 107
Joined: 17 Aug 2016 05:11

Re: Magic Map Additions

Post by Perrigrine » 01 Jun 2017 22:25

I'll leave this part of the conversation to smarter people than I, but the map files I create are not one big string. Each line is a separate line.

Perrigrine
Wizard
Posts: 107
Joined: 17 Aug 2016 05:11

Re: Magic Map Additions

Post by Perrigrine » 01 Jun 2017 22:26

The Temple of Dephonia near Argos in Calia has been added to the magic map!

Emmiline Calaith
Adventurer
Posts: 90
Joined: 03 Jun 2016 02:23

Re: Magic Map Additions

Post by Emmiline Calaith » 01 Jun 2017 23:05

Perrigrine wrote:The Temple of Dephonia near Argos in Calia has been added to the magic map!
Finally I can find my way around the place. Thanks Perrigrine!
There are three types of people: those who can count, and those who can't.

Post Reply
http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/