Achievements

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gorboth
Site Admin

Achievements

Post by gorboth » 01 Apr 2010 04:07

Today, Navarre came to me with the idea of Achievements for Genesis. This is something I've wanted to see us do for a while, but keep putting it on the back burner. Many things are sliding to the front burner now, so I'd like to get some input from players on the following question:

What achievements can you suggest for Genesis? Go deep! :-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Bromen
Champion

Re: Achievements

Post by Bromen » 01 Apr 2010 04:28

Killing blows on all the dragons.
Killing blows on all the demons.
all quests complete.
1 million kills.
1000 pkills.
1 million herbs.
all epic and higher stats.
25, 50, 75, 100k platinum.
1000 plat worth in gems.
has visited every room possible in genesis.
member of every guild.
Killing blow on any special npc.
100,000 notes posted.
100, 500, 1000 days played.

-B

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 01 Apr 2010 06:41

Alas quests visible on orbs could be complete if I'd get on and track down the new one in Avenir.

Sad day. Could be cool to see what other achievements though might be listed.

Recoba
Great Adventurer

Post by Recoba » 01 Apr 2010 10:54

We already have some of these achievement markers in the game, of course. I like things such as the Rich Mens Club and Wise People, and the Crimson Kestrel. Things that are like clubs and have an individual feel to show off some heroic or unusual achievement. Its got more atmosphere than an xbox-style achievement list, for sure.

Some more ideas:
- Number of kills of a certain race.
- Number of kills using a certain weapon (or unarmed).
The two above mentioned could be cool with a special title for the number one char in the list, in the Most Notorious Goblin style.

The stats can be gathered always, but to get the achievement marker youd need to register at the club or office appropriate to that achievement. Just to keep it optional to show and to keep a bit of roleplaying in it.

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 01 Apr 2010 18:22

Recoba is kind of right. It would be nice if these achievements are actually clubs you join once you have fulfilled their requirements. Or make it a single club which gives you different badges for each achievement (so that in the description, if you were showing the badges, it would look like "You notice he is wearing a blue and black medal, an eagle-shaped medal, ... and a long arrow-shaped golden souvenir." Or something like that. I don't think having one line per every achievement in the description would be useful at all, it would make descriptions worse than Nellnight's ("He is sworn enemy... " "He is the lover of..." "He is someone's sibling" "He is slave of ...", etc).

As for achievements, killing statistics would be nice, per race, weapon, etc.

I am curious... how many things I had killed? I will grep my logs to see an approximate numbers (it would catch people saying "You killed something?" and I lost virtually all 2003 logs in a hard drive crash)...

(Edited: At home I got 142465, plus 4395 during March 2010. At work I got 14502 logged. There are around two or three hundred logs I had zipped in my mailbox, plus almost a year of lost stuff. I doubt anyone has reached a million kills).

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 02 Apr 2010 12:47

Recoba wrote:We already have some of these achievement markers in the game, of course. I like things such as the Rich Mens Club and Wise People, and the Crimson Kestrel. Things that are like clubs and have an individual feel to show off some heroic or unusual achievement. Its got more atmosphere than an xbox-style achievement list, for sure.

Some more ideas:
- Number of kills of a certain race.
- Number of kills using a certain weapon (or unarmed).
The two above mentioned could be cool with a special title for the number one char in the list, in the Most Notorious Goblin style.

The stats can be gathered always, but to get the achievement marker youd need to register at the club or office appropriate to that achievement. Just to keep it optional to show and to keep a bit of roleplaying in it.
I like it, however to prevent the inclination for more Ogre style "vacuuming" of small chars to boost the title I would consider the idea of the amount of hit points damaged by the weapon not just kills. So kiling a big npc worth more than 3 ants, etc
Would also be good to see the title reset every couple of months to get active players a chance to pass those who were uber in the past but are now inactive.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Knuffel
Wanderer

Post by Knuffel » 02 Apr 2010 13:45

Tarax the Terrible wrote:Would also be good to see the title reset every couple of months to get active players a chance to pass those who were uber in the past but are now inactive.
Aye, I agree to that.
Plus it would be good for the time elapsed achievements, if they would not be absolute but relative to ones character mortal size.

So if we take the example of Most fearsome killer of the Realms, it would be the total amount of killed EXP compared to the EXP of the character, which could mean that one time this title is bestowed on a younger character and the other time it could be a myth.

Just my copper.
K.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 02 Apr 2010 17:06

For technical reasons most (but not necessarily all) achievements would force players to start from scratch the moment the implementation goes in. This would mean that for things like "number of kills" the hugest myth would start at zero just like a new player.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 02 Apr 2010 18:08

But there is no way for an apprentice to match the myth capability. He would not be able to match even the killing rate of an adventurer. I think having achievements to compare people are a bad idea, because the same ones will always be above everyone else (for example, Irk and Yanus). For example, an achievement of "Killing 1000 creatures in a month" is a good achievement because many can reach it. One of "Killer of realms" can be achieved only by one.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 03 Apr 2010 23:22

Correct, Rhynox. Achievements are not rank ordered. They are, rather, things you tick off a list. No one is the best at an achievement. You either have achieved it, or you have yet to achieve it.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/