Calia Alchemist's Potion Quest

Need help with quests? Maybe just some advice on which guilds to choose? This is the forum for you. Note that you must be a validated player to view this forum. (Note: Quest help should come in the form of helpful suggestions/hints, but not direct solutions/walkthrough info.)
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Shanoga
Wizard

Re: Calia Alchemist's Potion Quest

Post by Shanoga » 25 May 2015 21:42

Alisa wrote:
Cherek wrote:
Zhar wrote: I believe this is the first time anyone has had so much trouble with it.
I am sure there are PLENTY of people who have a had a lot of trouble with this quest and many others.:)
Yes.

On other note,sorry for hijack, but it would be fun it you could help him again for the "effects"
Agreed. This would be a fun one to be repeatable once per reset (for no xp, obviously).

Vlek
Wanderer

Post by Vlek » 25 May 2015 22:23

Your guys' attitude of "I've done it, so, regardless of how ridiculous the syntax is and how awful the instructions are, you're going to have to suck it up and spend several more hours trying to figure it out on your own" is really turning me off from this game. I thought there was a current effort being made to make the quests more fluid instead of the ragefests that they seem to be?

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 25 May 2015 22:49

vlek wrote:Your guys' attitude of "I've done it, so, regardless of how ridiculous the syntax is and how awful the instructions are, you're going to have to suck it up and spend several more hours trying to figure it out on your own" is really turning me off from this game. I thought there was a current effort being made to make the quests more fluid instead of the ragefests that they seem to be?
There is. We do our best to try to make quests that are illogical or have bad syntaxes better. I just have not understood specifically what you think is wrong with this quest...?

I personally always liked it myself and thought it was both funny and pretty logical but with a small puzzle. If you don't agree, I will absolutely listen to your suggestions and complaints though. Feel free to mail 'aop' with suggestions on how this quest could be made more logical and/or better, that way it gets stored in mine and Mirandus mailbox and if we agree one of us could take a look at it.

Vlek
Wanderer

Post by Vlek » 25 May 2015 23:02

Zhar wrote: cs = constitution
dc = discipline
dt = dexterity
ie = intelligence
se = strength
wd = wisdom

Pretty straightforward.
No, that's absolutely not straightforward. Who the hell has ever used those as abbreviations for stats?

Should be:
str
dex
con
int
wis
disc (Alright, this one still sucks, but with the others it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out that this is the only remaining one).
Zhar wrote: It tells you what ailment you get when you drink the potion
Okay, this part is actually true. I didn't stick around long enough to get the message.
Zhar wrote: Then it's all about reading his notes on mixing potions (it explains what beg and end mean for example), checking all the ingredients and preparing the cure.
There are no notes on mixing, only the stupid combinations. I've searched all three piles and only the mixture book is given.

Vlek
Wanderer

Post by Vlek » 25 May 2015 23:34

Zhar wrote: I believe this is the first time anyone has had so much trouble with it.
When no one was responding last night, I mass mailed people. This is the only response I got:

Reply : Calia alchemist quest
Date : Mon May 25 18:03:12 2015
Sorry, I never completed this quest for the very same reason.

Vlek
Wanderer

Post by Vlek » 26 May 2015 01:34

After some hand holding, I was able to figure it out. Here's the note that should have been given with the combinations:
Raspatoon wrote:In the margins, you see a hastily scribbled note stained with saltwater regarding mixing by Raspatoon:
(beg) (base, plus any modifiers) (end)

For example, violently puking seawater, whose base is 2 ha, 1 ne, and seawater's modifiers are +1 fe (beg), +2 ha,
the formula would be 1 fe, 4 ha, 1 ne. Pray you never are afflicted! *Burp*

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 26 May 2015 01:41

vlek wrote:Your guys' attitude of "I've done it, so, regardless of how ridiculous the syntax is and how awful the instructions are, you're going to have to suck it up and spend several more hours trying to figure it out on your own" is really turning me off from this game. I thought there was a current effort being made to make the quests more fluid instead of the ragefests that they seem to be?
I've done it, so, regardless of how ridiculous the syntax is and how awful the instructions are, you're going to have to suck it up and spend several more hours trying to figure it out on your own.

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 26 May 2015 08:16

Think I did it rather fast.
Was like 20 years ago so not sure how fast it actually was :)

Creed

Post by Creed » 26 May 2015 10:39

not everything is supposed to be extremely simple and easy to complete.
this isnt skyrim that shows you where to go and what to do.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 26 May 2015 13:41

Me and Vlek had a chat about the quest yesterday. I do not feel his suggestions to make it easier are in any way bad, they're reasonable and would probably make the quest easier for everyone. The question is of course how easy it should be. I think we should keep it as it is. I feel the idea behind the quest is that the notebook is supposed to be a bit cryptic, and figuring it out _is_ the quest.

I did make a small change to the wolf quest in Calia though, on that one I did agree with Vlek's suggestions on how to make it more logical.:)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/