Map submissions

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Mayobe
Adept

Re: Map submissions

Post by Mayobe » 08 Mar 2016 19:56

Ckrik wrote:Don't worry about the room names, just insert place holders (e.g. r1, r2 ...) and clearly mark the important landmarks (e.g. banks, taverns, docks and forks in the road). Filling in room names is the part that requires wizard involvement as Cherek mentioned.
Are these the same room IDs from gwc.gmcp.data.room.id? I can do the footwork and modify my submissions if so.

britanica
Wizard

Post by britanica » 12 Mar 2016 02:59

Mayobe wrote:Are these the same room IDs from gwc.gmcp.data.room.id? I can do the footwork and modify my submissions if so.
They are not, they happen to be a non-unique name assigned to the room. Offer is appreciated, unfortunately there is no way for mortals to get the name.

Additionally, in each map set, all room names must be unique, meaning we may need to create multiple map sets if any room name is duplicated. The main intersection in Kabal has 5 rooms with the same name. The map for that area is copied 5 times. Updating or correcting those maps will be painful.

One final note, while the genesis mud client can accept maps wider than 80 characters, other clients may not so we are currently limiting each map to a width of 80 characters.

Some Templates

Code: Select all

5X6 Grid
|       o           o           o           o           o           o        |
|                                                                            |
|____________________________________________________________________________|

Underground
|@@@@   @@@@@@@@@@@@   @@@@@@@@@@@@@   @@@@@@@@@@@@@   @@@@@@@@@@@@@   @@@@@|
|@@@@ o @@@@@@@@@@@@ o @@@@@@@@@@@@@ o @@@@@@@@@@@@@ o @@@@@@@@@@@@@ o @@@@@|
|@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@|
|___________________________________________________________________________|

Mayobe
Adept

Post by Mayobe » 12 Mar 2016 03:04

I think the small one I sent was within 80, but I'm almost certain the larger one was not. I'll correct them and mail a link to AoP.

Mayobe
Adept

Post by Mayobe » 12 Mar 2016 22:51

Checked them out and both of them are less than 80 columns wide.

Should I re-mail the link to AoP? I don't think anyone downloaded it yet.

Maisey
Beginner

Post by Maisey » 06 Apr 2017 07:33

britanica wrote:
Mayobe wrote:Are these the same room IDs from gwc.gmcp.data.room.id? I can do the footwork and modify my submissions if so.
They are not, they happen to be a non-unique name assigned to the room. Offer is appreciated, unfortunately there is no way for mortals to get the name.
[/code]
It sounds like there is an issue of wizard involvement being needed because a room name is required. It also sounds like there is a shortage of wizard time to do this. It might be a solution for everyone if there were a simple way for interested parties, like Mayobe, to be able to do that part of the workload, (inserting the proper room name in the proper format). I suggest a solution might be to code a simple tool/ object that can call the room-name (and path if it is necessary). The the mortal mapper could read the room name/path on the tool (while standing in the room). All the tool would need to do is list the name of the room/ path. The rest could be done manually by the mortal mapper. He would then be able to put the room name in the correct format when creating his map. Such a tool could be supplied on an individual basis to players working with wizards to map-- then the bulk of the work could be taken off wizard shoulders with very little time investment.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 07 Apr 2017 04:29

Maisey wrote: It sounds like there is an issue of wizard involvement being needed because a room name is required. It also sounds like there is a shortage of wizard time to do this. It might be a solution for everyone if there were a simple way for interested parties, like Mayobe, to be able to do that part of the workload, (inserting the proper room name in the proper format). I suggest a solution might be to code a simple tool/ object that can call the room-name (and path if it is necessary). The the mortal mapper could read the room name/path on the tool (while standing in the room). All the tool would need to do is list the name of the room/ path. The rest could be done manually by the mortal mapper. He would then be able to put the room name in the correct format when creating his map. Such a tool could be supplied on an individual basis to players working with wizards to map-- then the bulk of the work could be taken off wizard shoulders with very little time investment.
Resurrecting a year-old thread eh?:) Sure, I suppose that we could create such a tool if there were a bunch of mortals who really wanted to help map the world. The problem of course is that the mortals still would need to rely on a wizard to actually implement the maps, make sure that they work, etc. So there would always be a risk that the submitted maps are never used unless there's a wizard who wants to implement them. The best way for map-loving mortals to help map the world will always be to apply to become map-loving wizards!

Maisey
Beginner

Post by Maisey » 08 Apr 2017 03:37

Cherek wrote: Resurrecting a year-old thread eh?:) Sure, I suppose that we could create such a tool if there were a bunch of mortals who really wanted to help map the world. The problem of course is that the mortals still would need to rely on a wizard to actually implement the maps, make sure that they work, etc. So there would always be a risk that the submitted maps are never used unless there's a wizard who wants to implement them. The best way for map-loving mortals to help map the world will always be to apply to become map-loving wizards!
Sorry. I will try to be more observant in the future about the dates of the posts I am replying to. Also, I meant no offence, I was only problem solving. I thought a solution was being sought. I didn't realize offering the idea would be seen as superfluous, and stirring up a pot. I also posted about 8 months late what tattoo some guy should put on his arse. My only intention was to proffer something useful.

Maisey

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 08 Apr 2017 05:38

Maisey wrote:
Cherek wrote: Resurrecting a year-old thread eh?:) Sure, I suppose that we could create such a tool if there were a bunch of mortals who really wanted to help map the world. The problem of course is that the mortals still would need to rely on a wizard to actually implement the maps, make sure that they work, etc. So there would always be a risk that the submitted maps are never used unless there's a wizard who wants to implement them. The best way for map-loving mortals to help map the world will always be to apply to become map-loving wizards!
Sorry. I will try to be more observant in the future about the dates of the posts I am replying to. Also, I meant no offence, I was only problem solving. I thought a solution was being sought. I didn't realize offering the idea would be seen as superfluous, and stirring up a pot. I also posted about 8 months late what tattoo some guy should put on his arse. My only intention was to proffer something useful.

Maisey
Uhm. I didn't mean you did something wrong or that your idea was not needed. I always encourage people to share their ideas, sorry if it sounded like I was not. Please bring the ideas!

I just wanted to explain why it's usually easier to apply to be a wizard, than be a mortal submitting stuff that might or might not be implemented. There's absolutely nothing wrong with your idea. Such a tool WOULD make it easier for mortals to submit useful maps, no doubt. Unless there's some security or cheating-related problems I haven't thought about with providing players with room names it sounds like a useful thing. A wizard would still need to lead that project though, as a player can only do so much without access to the map system and the Genesis server. Right now I suppose Perrigrine is our "lead mapper" and if he wants to enlist mortal help to map quicker, I am not going to stand in the way.:)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/