View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 18 Nov 2018 19:28

Forum rules


- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.



Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Would-be Grief-Thieves - beware 
Author Message
Titan

Joined: 02 Sep 2010 21:25
Posts: 475
Arman wrote:
Kvator wrote:
So you basically deleted and banned person who didn't break ANY rules*? Additionally you made him open for public lynching (for the 'whining mob') within the game. Afterwards you described him as 'cockroach' in a note made as admin of the game...

Well done sir! Great 'new (old-new in this case) sheriff in town' attitude. 100% professional!

Like you couldn't just ban 'steal' command until case is resolved or something like that.

* killing, message-spamming and quest disruption are mentioned in a 'griefing' part.


This is not a new rule or even a questionable interpretation of existing rules. We have player file notes going back decades on spam stealer warnings for harassment. It is griefing and is against the rules. The player obstinately didn't want to discuss their actions, provide a reasonable defence, or repent. Creative ban hammering ensures.

Whether it is kill or say or steal, use your commands responsibly.


There is not a single word in official 'help rules' section about stealing/thievery etc.

If something's broken (and it seems that stealing is atm) and it's not essential for the game (like kill command) then you can easily switch it off until it's fixed. Instead of doing witch hunt based on 'interpretations'.


18 Jul 2017 00:18
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 04 Mar 2010 04:36
Posts: 2683
As a former AoP, i can say that spamming steal or another command is NOT against the rules on its own. It's quite natural to spam "steal/borrow" if you want to steal something from someone. That's how the command works. (If that's good or bad is another discussion) However basically any command in the game can be used for harassment and griefing. So like Arman said, it's definitely possible to use the steal command for harassment and griefing, and that IS against the rules, and has been enforced before.

Now, I am assuming the person described in the note did use his command in a griefing way, and that's a rule that is very open for interpretation, and probably always will be. When I was AoP we discussed if this could be clarified somehow, but eventually decided to leave griefing and harassment quite open to interpration, since there is just so many ways people can do it. It can be done using game commands like kill or steal, or verbally, using emotes, using free emotes, or out of the game stuff, etc, etc. There's no way to cover all possibilities in a rule, and therefore it was left quite open, and listing a few common examples. And as Gorboth did say, an attempt was made to speak to the player in question, but clearly that was not helpful.

So Kvator, simply spamming "steal" is not against the rules, however griefing/harassment is, and that seems to have been the rule that was broken here, and that's a rule that covers a lot of different things and kind of has to be judged case by case, since those cases tend to be quite different from each other.


18 Jul 2017 01:02
Profile
Wizard
User avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2014 13:15
Posts: 449
Kvator wrote:
Arman wrote:
Kvator wrote:
So you basically deleted and banned person who didn't break ANY rules*? Additionally you made him open for public lynching (for the 'whining mob') within the game. Afterwards you described him as 'cockroach' in a note made as admin of the game...

Well done sir! Great 'new (old-new in this case) sheriff in town' attitude. 100% professional!

Like you couldn't just ban 'steal' command until case is resolved or something like that.

* killing, message-spamming and quest disruption are mentioned in a 'griefing' part.


This is not a new rule or even a questionable interpretation of existing rules. We have player file notes going back decades on spam stealer warnings for harassment. It is griefing and is against the rules. The player obstinately didn't want to discuss their actions, provide a reasonable defence, or repent. Creative ban hammering ensures.

Whether it is kill or say or steal, use your commands responsibly.


There is not a single word in official 'help rules' section about stealing/thievery etc.

If something's broken (and it seems that stealing is atm) and it's not essential for the game (like kill command) then you can easily switch it off until it's fixed. Instead of doing witch hunt based on 'interpretations'.


Stealing isn't broken. It is a legitimate play option just like combat. And just like combat it can be misused by players to grief other players, which is what happened here.


18 Jul 2017 01:21
Profile
Titan

Joined: 02 Sep 2010 21:25
Posts: 475
Cherek wrote:
So Kvator, simply spamming "steal" is not against the rules, however griefing/harassment is, and that seems to have been the rule that was broken here, and that's a rule that covers a lot of different things and kind of has to be judged case by case, since those cases tend to be quite different from each other.


So how many times I can steal-spam per minute till it'll become considered as harassment? It depends on anything? (time of the day, size of the victim, antyhing). Can we assume that 12 steal tries per minute is fine, but anything above is no-no?

You really believe that public lynching of a person (who is not breaking any written rule of the game and is just acting against 'interpretation of the rule made by certain individual') is a better solution than fixing the problem? :) (expanding the cooldown of steal command doesn't sounds that complex - just like turning it off for some time in case wizards are considering more complex solution to it).

Arman wrote:
Stealing isn't broken. It is a legitimate play option just like combat. And just like combat it can be misused by players to grief other players, which is what happened here.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVCtkzIXYzQ

Action taken by Gorboth tells us otherwise (I don't remember anyone being deleted/site-banned with official note bragging bout the fact due to harassment done via combat which can actually cause more dmg to the victims)


18 Jul 2017 01:35
Profile
Hero
User avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2015 03:28
Posts: 386
Location: Vingaard Keep
I think what Kvator is saying is that if the system is busted fix it before banning people who use it. If you don't want the system abused add a cool down between steal attempts.

_________________
They denied that wealth could be printed, they denied that lunches were free;
They denied that Wishes were Horses; they denied that a Pig had Wings;
So we worshipped the Gods of of the Market Who promised these beautiful things.


18 Jul 2017 01:59
Profile
Adventurer
User avatar

Joined: 18 May 2017 16:22
Posts: 98
Location: Sipping on some joe in the necro lounge
Kvator, you're not trying to "Be Like Fenn"(TM) are you? We know what happens to those guys... Guys?


Kidding


18 Jul 2017 02:22
Profile
Titan

Joined: 02 Sep 2010 21:25
Posts: 475
Sibbedidenn wrote:
Kvator, you're not trying to "Be Like Fenn"(TM) are you? We know what happens to those guys... Guys?


Kidding


Depends on interpretation :D

regarding the point of ur joke - well since we have ppl deleted for things done outside the game and now ppl deleted due to "interpretations"... lets see what's next!


18 Jul 2017 02:58
Profile
Adventurer
User avatar

Joined: 18 May 2017 16:22
Posts: 98
Location: Sipping on some joe in the necro lounge
Right, is there forum griefing; say or kill or steal or [submit]!

Use your commands responsibly
Kvator wrote:
Sibbedidenn wrote:
Kvator, you're not trying to "Be Like Fenn"(TM) are you? We know what happens to those guys... Guys?


Kidding


Depends on interpretation :D

regarding the point of ur joke - well since we have ppl deleted for things done outside the game and now ppl deleted due to "interpretations"... lets see what's next!



Watch it Kvator, I think any more than three quotes within quotes and we have a problem here...


18 Jul 2017 03:12
Profile
Adventurer
User avatar

Joined: 18 May 2017 16:22
Posts: 98
Location: Sipping on some joe in the necro lounge
Right, is there forum griefing; say or kill or steal or [submit]!

Use your commands responsibly
Kvator wrote:
Sibbedidenn wrote:
Kvator, you're not trying to "Be Like Fenn"(TM) are you? We know what happens to those guys... Guys?


Kidding


Depends on interpretation :D

regarding the point of ur joke - well since we have ppl deleted for things done outside the game and now ppl deleted due to "interpretations"... lets see what's next!



Watch it Kvator, I think any more than three quotes within quotes and we have a problem here...


18 Jul 2017 03:12
Profile
Titan

Joined: 02 Sep 2010 21:25
Posts: 475
u just double posted - cya!


18 Jul 2017 03:13
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.