Quests with alignment restrictions

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Leti
Beginner

Quests with alignment restrictions

Post by Leti » 17 Apr 2019 00:27

Hello everyone.

I would like to talk with you about align restrictions on most of the quests.
My character is and always was pure evil. It was connected mostly to 'evil' guilds. Changing my align to do a quest was always making me feel weird as usually I had to leave the guild due to my new alignment.

And here comes my question. Would there be any possibility of making quests more 'neutral'? So it wouldnt be needed to rise or lower alignment in order to accomplish specific quests? I know it will be a very tough task to recode all of them, however I believe there has to be solution satisfying both players and Wizards.

What do you guys think about it?

Anfalas
Wanderer

Re: Quests with alignment restrictions

Post by Anfalas » 17 Apr 2019 03:47

This has been requested and/or suggested many times over the years. And pretty much everyone agrees with the idea.

Some of the problem lies in certain domains (like Middle Earth) where race and alignment play a huge factor in areas you can get to. Thematically, it doesn't make sense to allow certain races/alignments into places like MT/MM/Rivendell. So that makes it nearly impossible to change things like the murder in MT quest so everyone can do it. What has been suggested to solve that is have a mirror quest in MM for the opposite races/alignments.

These are all great ideas. However, it requires a wizard interested enough to code them that also has the time/ability/access to do so. That's generally the problem with any issues/concerns in Genesis. Someone has to be interested enough to actually code it. Then have the time, ability and access to those domains/areas. There are likely hundreds of thousands of great projects/ideas like this that were started and scrapped in Genesis.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 17 Apr 2019 12:40

Anfalas pretty much summed it up. Making quests align and race independent would be great, if it can be done in a way so it still fits the story and lore of the area. Both Krynn and Middle Earth has some great examples of this with "mirror quests" that are the same quest, but a slightly different story depending on your align. But as with anything Genesis someone (who has the programming skills) also need to volunteer to do the work, because recoding these quests will take quite a bit of time and effort.

However, I must disagree with you when you say "align restrictions on most of the quests". Most of the quests do not have alignment restrictions. For the large majority of quests in Genesis your alignment does not matter, or there is a good/evil version available. If you did all the quests available to you as an evil player you will fill up most of the empty spaces in the orbs, and also have enough quest XP to become myth and beyond. Few players in the game have completed all quests, regardless of align. So, yes, not wanting/being able to switch align/race to finish all quests is a disadvantage, however, in the long run it won't make that big of a difference. Regardless, I too hope that one day players won't have to switch align/race in order to complete quests.

Nerull
Wizard

Post by Nerull » 23 Apr 2019 11:07

A possible solution to doing for example MT quests as evil would be under a disguise spell that limits the player actions within that city. Such a spell or effect should be earmarked for evil characters to finish those quests.

Thoughts about a solution such as this?

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 23 Apr 2019 11:27

Nerull wrote:A possible solution to doing for example MT quests as evil would be under a disguise spell that limits the player actions within that city. Such a spell or effect should be earmarked for evil characters to finish those quests.

A good idea tbh alltho MT is kinda racist aswell, think you get skewered as a goblin no matter the align

Anfalas
Wanderer

Post by Anfalas » 23 Apr 2019 11:28

That'd be great to see options like that for everyone. There are several quests on both sides of alignment that could use something like that. It would likely need to obscure race as well in some cases.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 24 Apr 2019 06:16

Nerull wrote:A possible solution to doing for example MT quests as evil would be under a disguise spell that limits the player actions within that city. Such a spell or effect should be earmarked for evil characters to finish those quests.

Not going to happen on my watch. Disguises were abused too much with the halloween costumes.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 24 Apr 2019 13:54

Arman wrote:

Not going to happen on my watch. Disguises were abused too much with the halloween costumes.
Could make them only work in MT with the vicinity

Zugzug
Veteran

Post by Zugzug » 25 Apr 2019 02:04

Arman wrote:

Make an Explorers Club around Minas Tirith vicinity, easy solution, has worked in the past.

Meercat
Beginner

Post by Meercat » 27 Apr 2019 15:49

What if the costumes had a name-tag of the player when examined? Or maybe you could see their real description under the costume when you examine them? Or other players might see something like "Cherek wearing a costume of a pointy-eared one-eyed male elf." Also having the costume disable their steal/borrow and intimate emote commands would prevent most of the issues.

There are a lot of ways to make this work, please don't dismiss the idea too fast. As it is, it sort of feels like the Arch of Balance is totally unconcerned with the lack of balance between different races/factions ability to acquire quest experience. Also, as a player, it is maddening to see wizards acting like the inability to do quests is no big deal even though quest experience is the most valuable thing in the game.

(edited for typos!)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/